Laundry special days on 15 night cruise?

Pitzel

We are planning to sail on a 15 night cruise on the Jade. Which day(s) will NCL offer the "stuff the bag" laundry special? Will it be offered more than once during the sailing?

Just trying to strategize how much to pack and when we can reasonably expect to be able to do bulk laundry onboard.

It really varies by ship, in my experience. Most likely the laundry special will be offered twice, but no guarantee. We have been on NCL cruises where it has been offered twice/week. On our last 14 day cruise, it was only offered once. We usually bring enough clothes for a week or so no matter how long our cruise is, we have clean clothes.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

How much clothes can you put in the bag & what's the charge?

Has anyone had any issues with clothing get lost or not returned?

The charge is usually $19.99 for whatever you can get in the bag, but I have not used it myself (yet). I have heard that rolling your clothes will get a lot into the bag, which will be our strategy.

The bags rip really easily. I have heard that some people slip them inside a pillowcase and then stuff them really full. Tightly rolling clothes works well for us.

As for losing clothing, they put little (itchy) tags inside your clothes to ensure you get back what you put in. You also fill in a laundry slip where you itemize how many of each type of clothing put in. That being said, on our Alaska cruise in May, they lost one of my socks. The cabin steward attempted to track it down for me, but a white athletic sock is kind of hard to identify, I guess!

It really varies by ship, in my experience. Most likely the laundry special will be offered twice, but no guarantee. We have been on NCL cruises where it has been offered twice/week. On our last 14 day cruise, it was only offered once. We usually bring enough clothes for a week or so no matter how long our cruise is, we have clean clothes.

Thanks

As Platinum members, my husband and I each received two free laundries on our 14 day Norway cruise on the Star. That was a total of four free laundries.

Of course, that doesn't mean it will always be offered. That was our experience. Our cabin steward was most anxious that we take advantage and use all four. We returned home with clean clothes, except for what we wore the last few days!

We have used NCL laundry many, many times. Nothing was ever lost or damaged. I don't put my "good" clothes in, but my husband puts in underwear, sox, pajamas, jeans & shirts. I put in nightgowns, tee shirts, & jeans.

It's a real perk!

You can fit about five days of clothes for two people by tightly rolling some, by squeezing socks into corners.

I think the charge is currently $19.99

Two occasions of missing items, two different ships, but when I told cabin steward right away he quickly found them.

We've used the ship laundry lots, even before we were Platinum.

• 3 weeks later...

Update, now that we returned:

We took advantage of the laundry special twice. Turn around was 24 hours in both cases (though they advertised 2-3 day service).

In each case, we were able to get 10-15 pairs of underwear (4-5 days for 3 people), 10-15 pairs of socks, ~5 pairs of jeans and 5-10 t-shirts. Note that this was for 2 adults and one kid, so YMMV if your garments are larger, bulkier, etc.

I rolled everything tightly and we duct taped the top to keep it from springing open.

The bag is paper and definitely a little flimsy. We happened to bring duct tape with us, which helped to tape the bag shut (maximizing what we could get inside) and patching any holes/rips that occurred during stuffing.

• 11 months later...

On the Jewel (we were in the Haven, but I believe this was a ship wide offer?) - about day 3/4 of 8 there was a special that let you have a full bag overnight for about $19. It was an AK cruise so thicker clothes, but we still got a lot done! I hope our 10 day on Epic allows 2, but in a way it doesn’t matter since I over pack to a serious degree and always will! Need extra clothes, knock on my cabin door :o:')

The bag is just a paper bag, so bring a garbage bag to line it with, or the bag will rip. We fit 55 items in ours (about 25 prs of underwear between 4 people, the rest clothes and socks) you can stuff a lot in there if you do it right.

I didn’t really check against the inventory but I didn’t notice anything missing. They put labels on everything

It is a paper bag. Some do say they bring roll of packing tape to reinforce the bag. Some use plastic bag (from hotel laundry bag in closet) inside the paper bag.

What I brought was a thin garbage bag, like the kind for office trash cans. We saved our hotel plastic bags to use as a hamper of sorts

The bag is just a paper bag, so bring a garbage bag to line it with, or the bag will rip. We fit 55 items in ours (about 25 prs of underwear between 4 people, the rest clothes and socks) you can stuff a lot in there if you do it right.

I didn’t really check against the inventory but I didn’t notice anything missing. They put labels on everything

55?!?!?!!??! Wow, but you are talented! Or you are very short ;-) That's amazing! :D

55?!?!?!!??! Wow, but you are talented! Or you are very short ;-) That's amazing! :D

I have to admit I was impressed. A lot of it was my 10 yo’s and 13 yo’s so a little smaller, and half was underwear. For bigger things (husbands shorts) I rolled them up like you might in a suitcase. But the plastic bag was key for sure. The paper bag would have been ripped to shreds by itself!

Do any of the Owners Suite in the Haven get offered free laundry? We're in a H2

The free laundry service is offered by Latitudes Rewards (i.e. Platinum and above) status and not by what cabin one is in.

So the official answer is NO ! -"BUT"-

Still yet inquire of your Butler or Concierge for any developments that can be arranged - you being in the

Owners Suite - Deluxe Owners Suite - Haven or Garden Villa cabin category - EXCEPTION who knows

stranger things have happen for occupants of the top dog cabin classes. Oh and remember to tip well !

Do any of the Owners Suite in the Haven get offered free laundry? We're in a H2

No, not in my experience. The Owner’s suite is not a higher class (and not more expensive) than the other Haven suite types on average. The Villa 3 br is the only one that is substantially pricier (it is bigger than most homes LOL) and therefore does get extra benefits (although I don’t recall laundry being one of those...). You do get some kind of discount in the Haven, but we haven’t used it so I can’t recall (maybe a % off pressing). Some lines have laundry or dry cleaning as part of the top suites packages, NCL isn’t one. But if you haven’t been in the Haven you will love it (although for me it’s the master bath in the 2 br 2 ba that makes it worthwhile for us... ah showering while watching the sea and sites go by - I love it!

FYI - the butler does not press (or do much but bring food to be honest).