Isla Pasion Cozumel, worried about tainted alcohol :(

nola337

Hello. I went on my very first cruise last week with my husband and five year old son. For the most part, it was pretty fun. We live literally across the river from the cruise terminal in New Orleans. We see the cruise ships depart all the time from our upstairs window, so we decided it would be a great family trip before kindergarten started!

I booked an Isla Pasion Cozumel Beach Escape for Families by PowerCatamaran for August 12. I had about 5 drinks (all-inclusive, SMALL drinks, full of ice, VERY weak...I don't normally do five drinks in one afternoon FYI :p) My husband had 3 mixed drinks and switched to beer. My son drank only bottled water from the cruise ship. We all ate the chicken tacos from the all-inclusive buffet (which was gross but that's another story). For dinner we also all ate the same food from the ship.

About 8 hours later my husband and I became very ill. Thankfully my son was completely fine. We thought maybe we got food poisoning, but couldn't figure out what the culprit was since my son had eaten everything that we had eaten for the last several meals. The only thing we could think of was that the ice made us sick. And since I had twice as many drinks as my husband, I was definitely more sick than him! I chalked it up to Montezuma's revenge and silently scolded myself for eating ice while in Mexico.

Today day I was forwarded a link from a friend. Apparently within the last 2 weeks, many resorts around Cancun and Playa del Carmen have been busted for tainted alcohol. Apparently, someone DIED! (I'm not going to post a link, just google "mexico tainted alcohol").

I am now thinking that this is the reason my husband and I got sick (And I'm still sick, FIVE DAYS LATER!)

I'm just writing this to 1) warn people about my experience with potentially tainted alcohol and 2) maybe find out if anyone else had the same experience as me.

Nola sorry you had this experience, I would lean more toward the tacos since you reported them to be "gross" and all of you ate them. All of the ice served is made from purified water, not sure if that is the case on this excursion but I assume they bring bagged ice.

In regards to the report (link from your friend) you are referencing, the facts are not as you stated. There is no direct connection between the tragic death of a guest at the Ibero Paraiso and "tainted" alcohol, in fact the term "tainted" is nowhere to be found in the report, only in separate posts from individuals blaming various hotels and their staff or other guests staying there. The verbiage in the report is limited to "illicit" alcohol that is expired and not labeled as required. And because there is a lack of documentation and labeling, there could also be "non-approved" or illegal ingredients in the alcohol, and we are interested to read the follow up reports. The vast majority of violations were in regards to maintenance and cleanliness as well. So we are waiting for these additional facts on the alcohol. One producer was linked to the illicit alcohol, and an investigation is continuing.

Just trying to keep the many threads that are being started on the alcohol topic from spiraling out of control due to inadequate information or misinformation. I'd be interested in reports from others on the Isla Pasion excursion that also became sick if there are any, and also if others on your ship became sick from a norovirus. So your second reason to post this is a good one.

To clear it up, we ALL ate the gross tacos, but only my husband and I were sick. Kid was fine, and he eats adult sized portions. I realize there might be some hype about the "tainted alcohol". However, after retracing my steps, the drinks/ice were the only things my husband and I had in common. That paired with becoming sick within 30 minutes of eachother was also a clue. I totally realize it could have been Norovirus and just a coincidence that we both got it at the same time, with my son being spared. I do, wonder how other passengers on my catamaran fared after that excursion. Which was the main reason I was posting. Sorry, not trying to get anyone freaked out. Just sharing my experience.

Nola sorry you had this experience, I would lean more toward the tacos since you reported them to be "gross" and all of you ate them. All of the ice served is made from purified water.

In regards to the report you are referencing, you are misinterpreting the facts of the official report just as many others on cruise critic and trip advisor already have. There is no direct connection between the tragic death of a guest at the Ibero Paraiso and "tainted" alcohol, in fact the term "tainted" is nowhere to be found in the report, only in posts from individuals blaming various hotels and their staff or other guests staying there. The verbiage in the report is limited to "illicit" alcohol that is expired and not labeled as required. Because there is a lack of documentation and labeling, there could also be "non-approved" or illegal ingredients in the alcohol, and we are interested to read the follow up reports. But we are waiting for these facts. One producer was linked to the illicit alcohol, and an investigation is continuing. Let's keep the facts straight so more people aren't confused about what is taking place.

Just trying to keep the many threads that are being started on the alcohol topic from spiraling out of control due to not having enough information. I'd be interested in others that were on the Isla Pasion excursion and also became sick reporting their experience, and if others on your ship also became sick from a norovirus.

And I don't mean to sound critical, there are just so many people going nuts about tainted alcohol based on misinformation and not actually reading the initial report of the death, or the recent investigative report. Just creating a mass media blitz and the media loves that.

And there are many similar instances reported (only some getting sick) - both on cruises and on land vacations around the world - and the cause is almost always unknown. Hopefully you will get some feedback that helps if the thread isn't deleted.

Sorry about your experience. Not sure you can blame the alcohol but you never know. Just because you all three ate the same thing maybe it just didn't effect your son like it did you or hubby for whatever reason. Maybe you and hubby we're exposed to something prior to boarding your son wasn't. What I'm getting at is haven't you gotten sick and no one else in family has? I'm not saying it wasn't the alcohol but what I've seen in the news ( and to be honest I've not seen all the reports) if it was the alcohol you would have experienced basically a blackout period. Honestly it could have been anything especially as you were still sick days later just don't know if I would jump to the alcohol conclusion if this story wasn't in the news. Hope you are feeling better

Hi. I just came across this post while searching online to see why my husband and I are sick. We also went on that excursion to Isla Pasion on Aug. 12th and have been sick ever since. Like you mentioned, the kids are fine. They ate just as much as we did, if not more. The only thing they didn't have that we did was the alcohol. I'm now convinced it was the alcohol.

T0815 it certainly could have been something you all ate or drank or came in contact with another way. Just so many variables that can't be ruled out.

But again, the title of this thread is just so misleading because it is based on the misinformation that is spreading and that is a shame.

And as with Lulu, we didn't experience any problems on our visit and we ate and drank too many Cuba Libre's! Thousands of people go to Passion Island and other areas in Mexico every day without problems but that isn't much comfort to you...

Edited by blue_water

The sad thing is now everyone who gets sick on a land or cruise vacation is going to blame it on the drinks being tainted. I'm not saying it hasn't happened to a few ( I mean that in relation to the millions that visit yearly) but not every illness someone picks up is going to be alcohol related just because someone in your group who didn't drink didn't get sick too. We ate out last night my boyfriend woke up sick a few hours later I didn't. He's not blaming the food or the restaurant. The only thing we didn't eat in common was the entree.

After replying to the post, I googled tainted alcohol in Mexico and I don't think it was that. We didn't blackout which was mentioned as symptoms of consuming tainted alcohol and we aren't extremely sick as in not being able to get out of bed. But we are sick (diarrhea and vomiting)...maybe it was the drink mix they used. I agree it could've been anything & it'll be impossible to pinpoint exactly was it was. But narrowing it down, we are a family of 5 who went everywhere together & ate all the same foods. The only difference was that 3 of us didn't drink & those 3 didn't get sick.

Hi. I just came across this post while searching online to see why my husband and I are sick. We also went on that excursion to Isla Pasion on Aug. 12th and have been sick ever since. Like you mentioned, the kids are fine. They ate just as much as we did, if not more. The only thing they didn't have that we did was the alcohol. I'm now convinced it was the alcohol.

This is EXACTLY why I made my post and I'm so happy you responded T0815. Do you think it would be possible for you to private message me or email me? I would like to get my money back for that excursion. I am feeling better, but still having moderate intestinal problems. I missed my son's Dr. Seuss breakfast, his birthday and his first day of school all because of whatever I drank on that excursion. I'm actually still sick 7 days later. Did you by any chance visit the cruise doctor on the bottom floor?

The sad thing is now everyone who gets sick on a land or cruise vacation is going to blame it on the drinks being tainted. I'm not saying it hasn't happened to a few ( I mean that in relation to the millions that visit yearly) but not every illness someone picks up is going to be alcohol related just because someone in your group who didn't drink didn't get sick too. We ate out last night my boyfriend woke up sick a few hours later I didn't. He's not blaming the food or the restaurant. The only thing we didn't eat in common was the entree.

I get sick ALL the time. I have a 5 year old, and I catch every stomach bug he gets. I don't go around blaming food, alcohol or ice every time I get sick. This stomach bug was different, weird, and too coincidental considering my husband and I literally showed symptoms withing 15 minutes of each other. I wrote this post in hopes that the Internet could help me connect with another person on my catamaran...and it worked. I also wrote it in hopes of maybe helping someone avoid what I did. I know there might be a backlash of criticism and opinions.

nola337 I actually tried to private message you but can't find that feature on here. Can you send me your email address?

I'm not sure if we actually an PM eachother. You can email me. (I removed my email for privacy purposes, if anyone else wants to contact me about this incident, I will gladly repost my email)

Edited by nola337

Hello. I went on my very first cruise last week with my husband and five year old son. For the most part, it was pretty fun. We live literally across the river from the cruise terminal in New Orleans. We see the cruise ships depart all the time from our upstairs window, so we decided it would be a great family trip before kindergarten started!

I booked an Isla Pasion Cozumel Beach Escape for Families by PowerCatamaran for August 12. I had about 5 drinks (all-inclusive, SMALL drinks, full of ice, VERY weak...I don't normally do five drinks in one afternoon FYI :p) My husband had 3 mixed drinks and switched to beer. My son drank only bottled water from the cruise ship. We all ate the chicken tacos from the all-inclusive buffet (which was gross but that's another story). For dinner we also all ate the same food from the ship.

About 8 hours later my husband and I became very ill. Thankfully my son was completely fine. We thought maybe we got food poisoning, but couldn't figure out what the culprit was since my son had eaten everything that we had eaten for the last several meals. The only thing we could think of was that the ice made us sick. And since I had twice as many drinks as my husband, I was definitely more sick than him! I chalked it up to Montezuma's revenge and silently scolded myself for eating ice while in Mexico.

Today day I was forwarded a link from a friend. Apparently within the last 2 weeks, many resorts around Cancun and Playa del Carmen have been busted for tainted alcohol. Apparently, someone DIED! (I'm not going to post a link, just google "mexico tainted alcohol").

I am now thinking that this is the reason my husband and I got sick (And I'm still sick, FIVE DAYS LATER!)

I'm just writing this to 1) warn people about my experience with potentially tainted alcohol and 2) maybe find out if anyone else had the same experience as me.

While searching the internet today for Passion Isla reviews I found this thread. I also took a boat to Passion Island 8/12 with my girlfriend. I had beer she had mixed drinks. She was sick as a dog that night and it ruined the rest of our cruise. We have called Carnival to complain and they don't care, even tho we booked directly from the carnival site. They are not concerned about putting their paying passengers in harms way. I bet everyone on that boat who drank the free drinks got sick. after reading the other two complaints there is reason to believe it was the drinks.

Edited by DroneGuy

Wondering the same thing?

Just curious - can we assume all the people who got sick were on the same Carnival ship or just that you all went to Passion Island on the same day?

I was on the Triumph at T0815 was on the Sensation. We both visited the island on 8/12/17. Our children who didn't drink the ice or mixed drinks were fine. The adults all suffer from the same symptoms. Some of us (including me) are still sick.

"Bad" alcohol? Geeko1 you need to read the actual report too...The only information we've seen is described as "illicit" alcohol either expired or not labeled correctly. 90 gallons from the 2 bars, and 10,000 from the manufacturer. Additional (accurate) details to follow on the manufacturer I'm sure.

Edited by blue_water

After replying to the post, I googled tainted alcohol in Mexico and I don't think it was that. We didn't blackout which was mentioned as symptoms of consuming tainted alcohol and we aren't extremely sick as in not being able to get out of bed. But we are sick (diarrhea and vomiting)...maybe it was the drink mix they used. I agree it could've been anything & it'll be impossible to pinpoint exactly was it was. But narrowing it down, we are a family of 5 who went everywhere together & ate all the same foods. The only difference was that 3 of us didn't drink & those 3 didn't get sick.

Not to make light of your situations, one point that needs to be included in these discussions is the simple fact that anyone visiting a different area can have symptoms that include diarrhea and upset stomach. That's due to bacteria that is new to your system, and it affects everyone differently. Some folks can become quite such and have to deal with that for weeks, while others are not affected.

We visit Mexico regularly and will be living there soon, and we've experienced that only twice - once on our first visit to Puerto Vallarta where 4 of us suffered with a mild form of it, and once after making a day trip to Cozumel from our home near Playa when my wife suffered with these symptoms for a few weeks. We've had similar problems in other parts of the world, not just in Mexico.

With all the buzzwords being thrown around about the alcohol like "tainted" and "bad" (which are from folks picking up on the "tainted reporting" from questionable sources) it's easy to overlook this...

"Bad" alcohol? Geeko1 you need to read the actual report too...The only information we've seen is described as "illicit" alcohol either expired or not labeled correctly. 90 gallons from the 2 bars, and 10,000 from the manufacturer. Additional (accurate) details to follow on the manufacturer I'm sure.

You want to argue the difference between illicit and bad alcohol? you're kidding right

I don't need to argue anything - - what is "bad"? And where did you find that term used in the report??? There was no test data suggesting there was bad alcohol found.

Too much conjecture and made-up terms does make a mess of this...