Public transport in Barcelona question?

kerryincork

Going to Barcelona next week, trying to decide if I will get public transport or taxi to the city.

We will be flying into BCN with two suitcases, two cabin cases and handbags (small). Nothing will weigh more than 15kg. And normally trave to US with same amount of luggage.

I use public transport all the time in UK and my home country.

I just want to know what the pickpocket situation is like at the moment on the trains? Are their luggage racks on the train. Is it safe to put bags here?

Train station is 5 min walk away from hotel.

Or is too much hassle and I should just get a taxi?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Forums mobile app

Pickpocket situation is about the same than in the centre of Dublin, for comparison.

In the trains from the airport, there are overhead luggage racks for smaller suitcases, for big bags is best to keep them next to you -trains are wide enough for that. I don't recall having seen in Ireland the practice that "used" to be normal in the Heathrow Express in London of leaving your big cases on the main platform at the entrance of the carriage and then go to sit elsewhere, if it is, know that's NOT the practice here.

In general terms, public transportation in Barcelona is the best option, yet without knowing your exact address is difficult to assess.

1.) TRAIN... it departs from T2 at the airport, so if you're landing in T1 you need to grab the free shuttle bus (green) every 5' to T2. The train departs every 30' but it ends in Sants station, a main hub (West of the city). There you need to switch platforms (there are 16!) and grab a train to Arc de Triomf. From there there is 1km to the hotel. You could also take different trains in Sants and get off in Plaça Catalunya or in Passeig de Gràcia, but in all cases distance is between 900 and 1000m to the hotel. Cost: 4€ single ticket p.p. If you're to stay in the city for a few days, there's something called a T-10 travelcard which would lower that cost to 1€ p.p. Pros: cheaper, cons: lot's of going up and down stairs with luggage. Yes there are lifts at most stations, but not necessarily in all the bits of the journey.

2.) BUS... it departs from outside the terminals (both of them) and take you straight to Plaça Catalunya in 25' journey. After that... a walk of 900m to the hotel. Cost 5.90€. Pros: quicker, less walk

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Grupotel+Gran+Via+678,+Gran+Via+de+les+Corts+Catalanes,+678,+08010+Barcelona,+Spain/41.3868702,2.1707613/@41.3896338,2.1681201,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m9!4m8!1m5!1m1!1s0x12a4a2efbaf7dee1:0xb21161f172c7bab2!2m2!1d2.1729334!2d41.3923283!1m0!3e2

3.) TAXI... around 30-35€ to the hotel in normal circumstances

There are other combinations (bus #46+metro...) but they're far too complicated in front of the above, and you wouldn't be really saving much more.

If you don't mind a 10 minute walk (according to Googlemaps) I would say the easiest way would be to get the Aerobus from right outside the airport to Placa Catalunya. I think the train you are referring to is the Metro and would be more hassle than just catching the bus