Harvey Remnants

tyeomans

Jim Cantore from the weather channel is in Galveston. That says it all.

Galveston update: cleaning storm drains. (Sorry if I laugh)

Cantore is worried about intensification and that first we were only worried about rain but now it may be a major hurricane (category 3 or higher).

Talking about Galveston storm surge. City floods.

Weather channel update:

Environment condusive to development

Most dangerous part of the storm, late tomorrow night/early saturday morning,

From saturday to Monday it lingers, tuesday same position as saturday.

Catastrophic rainfall. Life threatening impacts.

Strong category 2, possibly major hurricane. Tremendous warmth in GOM. Not restricted. Well-defined core.

Depending on Carnival to make a decision as to your safety -- smh.

The problem is, most trip insurance says you have to cancel 2-3 days before the cruise... unless Carnival makes a deal with the weather issues.

But, yes, this is for sure a dangerous situation with people driving into the danger zone because Carnival is telling them their cruise is still on.

The people supposedly coming back in Saturday likely won't have cars to drive home in. (Redux from previous storms).

Looks like it is rapidly intensifying right now and possibly could hit around corpus christi as a major hurricane. No way Carnival sails out of Galveston on saturday... my opinion.... they won't be able to come in and dock...

Major flooding due to possible 20" rain in some Texas areas...but major hurricane? Forecast calls for winds just over the bare minimum level one of 80mph for calling a tropical storm a hurricane.

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/tropical-storm-hurricane-harvey-forecast-24aug2017

According to this forecast, wind and surge impact is expected south of the port area. The port main threat to the port area is from torrential rain and flooding.

I think of a major hurricane, I think of a class 4 or 5 type storm.

Major flooding due to possible 20" rain in some Texas areas...but major hurricane? Forecast calls for winds just over the bare minimum level one of 80mph for calling a tropical storm a hurricane.

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/tropical-storm-hurricane-harvey-forecast-24aug2017

According to this forecast, wind and surge impact is expected south of the port area. The port main threat to the port area is from torrential rain and flooding.

I think of a major hurricane, I think of a class 4 or 5 type storm.

A major hurricane is classified as a category 3,4, or 5. You were correct about the 15-20" of rain possible. I'm surprised Carnival has not made any announcements, I would expect one to come later today or tomorrow. It's going to be very difficult and dangerous to enter and exit the port.

Following ! My husband and I are suppose to sail out Saturday on our first cruise.

We only live an hour and a ferry ride from Galveston, so we are hearing information about the storm and are very familiar with the flooding ..... However, Still waiting on information from Carnival about the cruise itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Following as well. Not familiar with Houston/Galveston. We are flying in Sunday 0900. I thought about switching flights. But if any flight is to get in...I'm guessing most of saturday will be cancelled and Sunday's first flight might have a chance of getting us to the ship.

Curiosity - with the Breeze coming in on Sunday from current tour, is there a chance they'd move to New Orleans and sail out of there?

I lived near here for years and saw TS Allison first hand:

Harvey is going to be a Cat 3 (115 mph)or more by landfall, rainfall at Galveston is forcasted to be 15 inches and they are preparing for flooding. Winds strongest Friday night and Sat. If the winds are high they close the bridge to Galveston so no one can come or go from the island. Jim Cantore from the Weather Channel is broadcasting live from Galveston seawall. They are removing materials from the beach right now. Storm surge of about 4 feet. Galveston is at or under sea level (think New Orleans). I agree with above poster that there is no way the ship makes it back to port on time. May not board till Mon for Breeze.

Stay safe and sign up for Carnival alerts.

August 24, 2017

Dear Carnival Guest,

We'd like to take a moment to provide you with important information regarding the weather.

We have been keeping a close eye on the track of Tropical Storm Harvey in the Gulf of Mexico. At this time, no changes have been made to your sailing and our itinerary remains as scheduled.

To stay up to date on any changes that may affect our departure, we encourage you to sign up for text alerts by texting CCL2 to CRUISE (278473).

We will continue to monitor the storm's path over the next 24 hours and will provide you with another update tomorrow at 12:00 PM.

Spoke with someone at Carnival today that is in the department handling specific questions on this situation. She said they received word this morning that Fema is getting involved and prepped. She said Carnival is scrambling to make decisions especially for those already on the Valor trying to get back to port. That is their first concern. She anticipated a notification to us by this afternoon. She said it will be posted on the website but you can also get signed up for text messages to receive an alert. I told her a similar situation happened to me with the Valor in January and we weren't given enough notice. I expressed they really need to get us the info asap meaning today especially for guests with flights. I called the hotel on Galveston Island we planned on staying at tomorrow night and they said from their past experiences we will not be leaving. She believed that Carnival will first try to delay us but the fact the rain is not expected to stop for several days, in her opinion, the cruise more than likely will be cancelled. Many that live in that area are getting out of there. If and when I receive any notification, I will post again.