Age where photo Id is needed to get back on ship

Canadianmama3

My oldest is 16 and doesn't have his licence yet. At what age do they require you to have photo Id to get back on the ship?

I don't want to bring his passport off and the only thing he has with his photo on now is his health card (Ontario). He should have his beginners license by our march cruise. But just want to know if it's needed. If it is I can make certain he gets it before we leave.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You sometimes need to show a photo ID to get onto the dock that leads to the ship, minors should not have to. You only use your Sign & Sail Card to board the ship.

Just off the Legend last week and had three kids with us (17, 15, 12). They were not asked for photo ID at any of the 4 ports we stopped at. In fact, my kids have never been asked for photo ID getting on the ship at any port on any cruise and they are all platinum cruisers.

Black market is huge for passports especially US ones. As advised by Carnival do not take with you. They will retrieve it if something happens like a medical emergency (though not sure what they would need a passport from you to get treatment as a regular photo ID will work, but is really how you pay is what they really want), or miss the ship then get it to you. This is why you should have the number to reach the Carnival rep at the port they have staffed for these issues. Having a passport means that with out it you can get help from a US embassy or consulate which is what you would do if lost or stolen. A copy of a passport will work in majority of situations along with a driver's license. Most will leave the passport and take a copy. A passport is for boarder crossing and not many other things. Plus as mentioned 16 is the age for photo ID's. Under 16 a certified copy, original, or notarized Birth Certificate is required while 16 and over a copy of one is fine with the photo ID.

You sometimes need to show a photo ID to get onto the dock that leads to the ship, minors should not have to. You only use your Sign & Sail Card to board the ship.

As the post prior to yours points out, 16 and over are required to have government issued ID.

I've gone on 3 cruises and never asked to show photo ID to board after a port day

I've been on 31 cruises and I have been asked for photo ID. Not to often, but often enough that I make sure I have a photo ID with me when I leave the ship.

#1. You do not need a picture ID to get on the ship.

#2. You need a picture ID to get through Port Security and the ID must match you ship card.

#3. If you look 16, you are treated as 16.

#4. Your Passport is always an ID. It is a picture ID. If it is the only official ID you have, bring it.

#5. Your passport is your ID. If you step foot on foreign soil, it is your ID. It is the most important item you can have sometimes. So keeping it in the ship, locked up makes a lot of sense.

#6. On land, you get "mugged" and your money and passport is stolen. You go to the ship, walk on, and continue on. When you get back home, you tell passport control, you were mugged and your passport is gone. Do you believe they will send you back? No, they won't. You will be pulled aside for special handling, and soon, you will be in your car, or plane and on your way.

#7. The ship leaves without you. Well, your passport is locked up, safe and sound, and you are stranded. If you had your passport, you go to the nearest airport and fly home. If you don't have it, you must stay another day, get a hotel, and wait for the embassy to open.

We color copy our passport, and laminate it and take it with us off the ship with drivers lic and sign & sail card! The photo copy shows our photo and passport number that can be verified! If we have medical emergency, the ship will have a representative deliver our passports to us if needed! If they don't the copy can still be verified! :)

#1. You do not need a picture ID to get on the ship.

#2. You need a picture ID to get through Port Security and the ID must match you ship card.

#3. If you look 16, you are treated as 16.

#4. Your Passport is always an ID. It is a picture ID. If it is the only official ID you have, bring it.

#5. Your passport is your ID. If you step foot on foreign soil, it is your ID. It is the most important item you can have sometimes. So keeping it in the ship, locked up makes a lot of sense.

#6. On land, you get "mugged" and your money and passport is stolen. You go to the ship, walk on, and continue on. When you get back home, you tell passport control, you were mugged and your passport is gone. Do you believe they will send you back? No, they won't. You will be pulled aside for special handling, and soon, you will be in your car, or plane and on your way.

#7. The ship leaves without you. Well, your passport is locked up, safe and sound, and you are stranded. If you had your passport, you go to the nearest airport and fly home. If you don't have it, you must stay another day, get a hotel, and wait for the embassy to open.

#8. You make up a "bug out bag" and leave it in your safe. Your name etc is on the gallon size zip lock along with money pp extra credit card and cash etc...like your house and car keys....you know the stuff that you will need

# 9. You bring the ships phone number with you to call and tell them you are missing the ship and you have a bug out bag in your safe

#10. Believe it or not the ship knows that important docs are probably in your safe regardless of wether they are neatly labeled or not and will enter your safe to check. They will then give those docs to the the dock agent to give to you when you show up late and perhaps if you are lucky they will throw some stuff in a small luggage that may be in your cabin and give that to the dock agent as well

#11. The crew will decide when to begin to clean out your cabin depending on the particular situation

# 12. This will be a miserable experience for you

# 13. Take some comfort and pray that #10 above will happen and that the ships crew is competent and knowledgable and professional

Sent from my iPad using Forums