Military credit

Sheltieluv

John,

You can "respectfully disagree." However, here in Florida it has been Home Depot with the open arms to active duty and retirees since we arrived here in 2005. During those years I have asked Lowes (we have both) and they have firmly replied "only on special occasions," like Veterans Day. Lowes did change their policy according to their website this past May and offers discounts to all veterans with sign-up. Sea actually prefer Lowes over HD and its good to know they have finally decided to offer the discount all year. Their website still requires the "sign-up."

The discussion is whether Azamara, and its parent RCCL, should offer discounts to active duty and retired military personnel from the 5-Eyes countries, similar to Princess (and likely other Carnival lines). I have taken advantage of one RCI military discount offer some 5 years ago and it actually gave us a Grand Suite for less than a balcony. However, those are extremely rare and far between. Princess makes their offer of onboard credit on all sailings and is based on length of cruise with a max credit being $250.

Note that I generally do not seek out companies offering discounts or credit to those of us who have retired or are currently on active duty. However, there are at least 100 companies that do offer something to those who have honorably service country. I am old enough to remember when airlines offered a special fare for service members... Not anymore.

Edited by Globehoppers

John,

The discussion is whether Azamara, and its parent RCCL, should offer discounts to active duty and retired military personnel from the 5-Eyes countries, similar to Princess (and likely other Carnival lines). I have taken advantage of one RCI military discount offer some 5 years ago and it actually gave us a Grand Suite for less than a balcony. However, those are extremely rare and far between. Princess makes their offer of onboard credit on all sailings and is based on length of cruise with a max credit being $250.

Note that I generally do not seek out companies offering discounts or credit to those of us who have retired or are currently on active duty. However, there are at least 100 companies that do offer something to those who have honorably service country. I am old enough to remember when airlines offered a special fare for service members... Not anymore.

Now on these two paragraphs we "agree". While I have never cruised on Princess, I am scheduled for my first next month on a r/t Hawaii. My travel agent informed me of the credit and sent in the required info (kept on file from other cruises). I have a $250 credit on my "account". I have cruised mostly on Celebrity and have enjoyed a few discounts (given to military) over the years. But they are not offered on all cruises. If memory serves me I also received discounts on a couple of RCI cruises.

Like you and others, I also do not seek out companies offering military discounts, but, if asked/informed, I will take advantage of any offer.

John,

From my perspective the Princess Royal class (Royal, Regal and Majestic) favorably compare to the Celebrity Solstice class. And they possibly have the best buffet venue on the high seas and a wonderfully comfortable. I don't much care for Princess' other ships which are too crowded, theatre venue uncomfortable (no leg room) and they "shudder" in high seas. Other than that, have a good time. Azamara remains the favorite...

FYI. "Best" hardware store in my area is an old "mom & pop" operation. They have everything!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to, and including my life. That is honor and courage."

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, BUT rather to SKID In BROADSIDE, completely used up, totally worn out, and SCREAMING "WOW---WHAT A RIDE!!"

"I've seen better days, but I've seen worse. I don't have everything I want, but I do have all I need. I woke up with some aches and pains, but I woke up. My life may not be perfect, but I am blessed".

If the quotes in your signature reflect your beliefs, I really like your attitude :cool:

Sempi Fi