Down the Mississippi ?

Muumuu

Crusing down the Mississippi in a balcony cabin Would port or starboard side give us a nicer view?

Thank you for your info and time

Once you get out of NOLA on the Mississippi both side are about the same. I have a tendency to like the port side.

As the ship leaves the dock, the starboard side would give you the best view of New Orleans.

I believe it's the port side that would give you the best view of New Orleans. That's the side that would be facing the French Quarter as you go down river.

Depending on ships schedules, you may be able to see another CCL ship heading the other way on the river (e.g. if you leave on Saturday, and another ship arrives on Sunday, you will pass each other Saturday night). In that case a port side cabin would allow one to see this.

Twice we've been on the Dream and seen the Elation (?) going the other way. Very impressive seeing a 900' ship closing on you at 20 knots and passing within 200'.

I believe it's the port side that would give you the best view of New Orleans. That's the side that would be facing the French Quarter as you go down river.

You are "right." As an army man I confused my port (left) and starboard right. As the ship is docked it on the starboard side and then turns around and port will face the French Quarter.

We're looking forward to our cruise from NOLA on Carnival Dream next August. We chose a cove balcony (awesome) on the port side of the ship. We enjoy sailaway from most ports on the balcony, and since we'll be heading mostly south, we'll avoid that hot August sun pouring in on us. No idea how scenic our view will be, but we'll be seeing sights we've never seen before, and we'll have it made in the shade. :cool:

Between November and March, it really doesn't matter. Most of the Mississippi is traversed after dark. We've done port side both times I think. What we did do on the day before the cruise, is drive as far south of NOLA as you can go via car on the west side of the river. And you can go a pretty darn long way! Not being from the area, we thoroughly enjoyed it. We enjoyed watching the ships navigating down the river too.