What side of the ship to pick cabin

Mooguy

Is there one side of the ship that is better then the other for a Nort or South bound Alaska cruise? For example if I was doing a North bound I would want a cabin on the ________ side of the ship.

Thanks

Would an aft cabin be good for room views of glaciers? Or still get a side cabin

based on direction? This will be my first balcony and was thinking of an aft since I've heard such good things about then, but I want the maximum viewing ability for my first Alaska trip!

Would an aft cabin be good for room views of glaciers? Or still get a side cabin

based on direction? This will be my first balcony and was thinking of an aft since I've heard such good things about then, but I want the maximum viewing ability for my first Alaska trip!

Aft cabins get rave reviews. In my opinion they aren't the best for forward viewing, which is always my priority in Alaska. As I have mentioned, do strongly consider getting out on deck your glacier sailing day anyway, superior views. Scenery is excellent aft certainly, but not wildlife since you need to track from ahead, again there are many things to consider. If an aft is available, book it. :) Then perhap make yourself a list and go from there on YOUR priority. :)

Which cruise line seems to be best for Alaska. I was leaning toward HAL. Picture taking would be a high priority so the view from the ship is important, is there a cruise line that would be best for this?

Guest Crazeecat5

My DH and I are looking to book the Carnival Spirit Northbound cruise for 7/26/06. I am noticing that there are virtually no cabins left, in the category I am looking at, that is on the starboard side. Is there really not much to see on the other side? I want to book a balcony so we can see the sights from the comfort of our own cabin.

Thanks,

Sheryl

Guest Crazeecat5

Basically, I can only cruise at the end of July. Also, this particular date was a little cheaper. No idea why. Do you think that the southbound trip is better?

Thanks,

Sheryl

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hep!, I am booking cabins for a group in July 2007 on Carnival's Spirit,(Northbound) I feel sure that I want the cabins to be on the Starboard side, but I am not sure about the deck. Some of the group say the higher the deck the better you will see the land, but I have also heard people on this message board say they prefer to be closer to the water to see whales. I'm confused.....

The Spirit has 5 decks with balcony cabins, should I just book the middle and be done with it? or can anyone tell me some real one VS the other?

Please.....

Thanks,

Melodi

I'm embarking on my first cruise to Alaska in May. We (Mom and I) are doing the inside passage cruise aboard the Sun Princess. However, DH and I are booked on Carnival Spirit Dec 2007, so I have studied (obsessed) on the deck/cabin plans for the Spirit. There is only one deck where those aft cabins have a ceiling overhead to shield from rain and that is level 4, Main. As you go up higher, the back of the ship goes inward and the decks are only partially or not at all covered. This may be important on rainy days.

There are some very desirable cabins you might want to take a look at. Beginning on the 5th level, (Upper Deck) there are 3 cabins that have HUGE balconies. They are 5238, 5245, and 5236. Look at the deck plans and you will see what I mean. Then on the levels above those cabins are more just like these 3.

Oh yeah, as far as going Northbound or Southbound, a couple of thoughts... Your journey home from the cruise may be shorter if sailing Southbound since you would leave Vancouver or Seattle instead of Anchorage. Another consideration...... If you get an aft cabin, then on a NB cruise, you would get the warm southern sun much of the day. If you are aft and traveling southbound, then you would not get very much sun on your balcony since your cabin would face North much of the time. (And if it is not raining, the sun will be shining all day and most of the night in July.)

High or low....... I prefer low. I like to look over my balcony and see water, not other balconies. Also, lower cabins rock a bit less. That is just me though.

Also, Carnival has some really nice military discounts right now. If anyone you are traveling with was in the military, be sure to ask about these to see if you qualify.

Good Lunck. You are going to love having a balcony!

Archived