Sept 8 NCL Sky cruise and Hurricane Irma

sltrawick

You will not know where or if you are going until everyone agrees which way this storm is headed .Two years ago we were in Florida in Sept for a cruise on GetawAy going Eastern Caribbean lThe day of it eas announced we were going Western .While we were in the terminal ..the storm changed course and we headed back Eastern ....it was announced at the Terminal

We ended up having calm weather and great cruise ....You never know which wAy it will turn ..just hang in there

Florida had wierd storms until we boarded ....good luck

Interesting. Even with going to Mexico in lieu of the Bahamas, I would think the ship is going to have a problem getting back into Miami on Monday morning. The storm is expected over south Florida Sunday and Monday.

Exactly, who says the port is even going to be accessible to leave this weekend?

This just posted on Facebook

9/5, 9:30 ET:

At Norwegian Cruise Line, the safety and security of our guests and crew is of the utmost importance. The company is continually closely monitoring weather systems, including the tropics, and all Norwegian Cruise Line ships offer state-of-the-art radar and weather equipment. In the event of inclement weather, our ships will sail a route around the affected area, to have the least impact to our guests and crew. At this time, all of our ships are sailing as scheduled but please stay tuned for specific details regarding Norwegian Sky 9/8 sailing & Norwegian Escape 9/9 sailing. Should there be any updates, guests will be advised and updated information will be posted on http://www.ncl.com.

My wife and I are going on our 10 year anniversary on this cruise. I suspect that they will just divert and change Itinerary. What maybe interesting is what we come back to Monday morning and the condition of the Airport, Roads, etc. See everyone onboard!

Your sailing is an unusual case. Out of Miami, for 3 days, is challenging. Typically they will try to adjust one day departing... not a huge deal on a 7 day or longer cruise. But 3 days leaves no wiggle room. Both the departure and return dates are threatened.

I actually predict they will cancel so the ship is ready for its next sail date after the storm. Watch your email and your MyNCL every few hours. Call NCL tomorrow starting at noon and be polite but firm requesting an answer. If you fly you get no refund on the flight from Trip Insurance.

This just posted on Facebook

9/5, 9:30 ET:

At Norwegian Cruise Line, the safety and security of our guests and crew is of the utmost importance. The company is continually closely monitoring weather systems, including the tropics, and all Norwegian Cruise Line ships offer state-of-the-art radar and weather equipment. In the event of inclement weather, our ships will sail a route around the affected area, to have the least impact to our guests and crew. At this time, all of our ships are sailing as scheduled but please stay tuned for specific details regarding Norwegian Sky 9/8 sailing & Norwegian Escape 9/9 sailing. Should there be any updates, guests will be advised and updated information will be posted on www.ncl.com.

I like how they post things on Social Media but not a direct message to our inbox on the site ;-) Thanks for sharing I would have never seen it!

Your sailing is an unusual case. Out of Miami, for 3 days, is challenging. Typically they will try to adjust one day departing... not a huge deal on a 7 day or longer cruise. But 3 days leaves no wiggle room. Both the departure and return dates are threatened.

I actually predict they will cancel so the ship is ready for its next sail date after the storm. Watch your email and your MyNCL every few hours. Call NCL tomorrow starting at noon and be polite but firm requesting an answer. If you fly you get no refund on the flight from Trip Insurance.

Yeah.. so I'm kind of a pushover. You wanna call them for me tomorrow? Haha. I really REALLY don't want to fly to Miami Thursday if this cruise gets canceled. I have an 8:15am flight and need to leave my house around 4:40am so I have no time in the morning to see how things pan out. Worst case scenario we rent a car and drive back to Atlanta where one of the girls lives and all get ourselves home from there. Sigh. F'ing Irma.

I like how they post things on Social Media but not a direct message to our inbox on the site ;-) Thanks for sharing I would have never seen it!

NCL is very good about notifying passengers WHEN changes are made. Multiple emails. Robo calls to any telephone number they have for you. Right now, the status is "no change" until the storm gets closer and they can make good decisions. Irma is a major storm and has changed tracks daily. Yesterday morning, it was headed direly for Miami. Today, more southerly.

In a similar situation, booked on the Escape for the 9th. We're flying Southwest and thos morning they sent me a message offering a 1 time change with no fee. I was planning on flying in the morning of the cruise but can now fly in on Friday. I certainly don't want to fly in and then be stuck in Miami with the monster that Irma is on my coat tails. I stayed in NOLA during HK and swore I'd never make that mistake again. No doubt a wrong decision could be devastating for NCL, but I'd appreciate it if they could at minimum provide a couple possible options.

We cruised out of Miami in August 2 years ago with Grace bearing down on Miami. I thought all kinds of bad things, the news was all Grace all the time. We took off and they changed itinerary the day before, so we booked another trip b2b so we would have a good cruise! The day we got to the ship they changed it back to original itinerary, we sailed and never even saw a grey cloud or a rain drop. So relax a little it may be nothing unless of course it destroys the port.

The Sky can do Cozumel. Check what it has done historically in previous years under the same circumstance (last year as an example). The itinerary will be changed to Cozumel, assuming the Bahamas will be impacted.

THIS.

We were booked on the Sky last year just as Matthew was coming along. The sailing before us (M-F) diverted to Cozumel -- a better port for the money IMO -- and we (F-M) stayed the same itinerary and went to the Bahamas. We had pretty crappy weather as we got the tail end rains, but still had a great time.

The chance of the cruise being canceled is very, very slim. Still within the realm of probability but extremely unlikely. I've been in this situation 7 times before. Cruise lines will change itineraries at the last minute if they have to.

if you choose to board, you will be taken to a safe location where the weather is nice. Have been through this 7 times and never had a problem. If you were thinking of evacuating, no better place than aboard the ship.

I am also on the Sky set to leave 9/8. I just called (Tuesday morning) at 8 am PST and still no update. I think we are just going to "go for it" because I highly doubt the cruise will be cancelled. If not, we lose everything because we didn't get the insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am also on the Sky set to leave 9/8. I just called (Tuesday morning) at 8 am PST and still no update. I think we are just going to "go for it" because I highly doubt the cruise will be cancelled. If not, we lose everything because we didn't get the insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It will probably not be cancelled. If you live in an area that can potentially be effected by the track of the hurricane, the smartest thing to do is to go on the cruise ship. Chances are you will have a great time. You will also be protected from any storm.

Having been through this situation 7 times, my advice is to protect your property and sail away. Don't look back.

RCCL has announced cancellation of two Bahamas 3 day cruise - one from Miami, one from Port Canaveral. I still predict NCL Sky will be canceled. The storm will not be "far away" - on Sep. 8 it will be right at the south side of The Bahamas. No ships will be sailing into the Bahamas this week. Any that are there are going to get out tomorrow at the latest.

Canceled by RCCL:

**Enchantment of the Seas: September 8 Bahamas cruise**

**Majesty of the Seas: September 8 Bahamas cruise**

Okay wow. Thanks for letting us know about RCCL.

RCCL has announced cancellation of two Bahamas 3 day cruise - one from Miami, one from Port Canaveral. I still predict NCL Sky will be canceled. The storm will not be "far away" - on Sep. 8 it will be right at the south side of The Bahamas. No ships will be sailing into the Bahamas this week. Any that are there are going to get out tomorrow at the latest.

Canceled by RCCL:

**Enchantment of the Seas: September 8 Bahamas cruise**

**Majesty of the Seas: September 8 Bahamas cruise**

Thanks for the update on RCCL. It's looking more like this cruise will be canceled which is probably for the best. Miami-Dade government is starting evacuations and closing schools Thursday and Friday. Now, my personal opinion as a lifelong local is that it's a little too early to be making these decision and perhaps people are over reacting due to the hurricane in Texas but I guess it's better to be safe than sorry. Honestly just in case it does come I'd rather wait it out at home than be out on a cruise worrying about what kind of mess I'll have to come back to.