What happens when Carnival has to re-route the itinerary due to weather?

jjdmom8

Consider getting cruise insurance with "change of itinerary" coverage included. Ours through Nationwide insurance pays $1500 for the "inconvenience" of missing or changing ports. It's a must for us during hurricane season. We almost hope for a missed port, but not quite. :)

I'm confused, as her itinerary shows she's supposed to be on a 14 Day Panama Canal cruise beginning and ending at Tampa. Charleston is no where near Tampa. Her POCs are supposed to be Cozumel, Limon, Aruba, Bonaire, St. Maarten, and back at Tampa.

I think Carnival's tracking/webcam site is having issues.

Marine Traffic shows she was on her way to Grand Turk...

According to the sailing schedule I have, and I've been kind of keeping track, she sailed Sunday from Baltimore for Grand Turk, HMC, and Freeport or Nassau. My ship tracker shows her docked in Charleston right now. I've been watching since we sail her from Baltimore on the 17th.....

Once i arrived in port and was haned a total redo of our ports only to have it change a few hours later. For thosre interested in port deviations there is a free section on the cruisecal webpage...for island updates i read stormcarib site. Our prayers to all in those islands especially grand turk and folks and pets at jacks shack.

Consider getting cruise insurance with "change of itinerary" coverage included. Ours through Nationwide insurance pays $1500 for the "inconvenience" of missing or changing ports. It's a must for us during hurricane season. We almost hope for a missed port, but not quite. :)
I have that insurance as well. I think it is important to emphasize that that coverage is only in case of changes to itinerary, "prior to departure," and is "(not available to residents of FL, MN, MO, NH, NY, OR, PA, VA, WA)." It also provides coverage in case of, "Itinerary change after departure," but it is a smaller amount of compensation, and it is only paid out if the change ends up, "causing you to miss a pre-paid excursion."

DH and I were on the Pride in October when Hurricane Matthew made an appearance. We were notified at 10 pm the night before that the itinerary changed to Canada and NYC. They gave us the option to cancel for a full refund. Those who chose to go, would receive an OBC and 25% off a future sailing. We left as scheduled, got to NYC and about 10 minutes before we were due to set sail, we were notified that the path of the storm changed again and that we would have to stay docked in NYC. The fate of the rest of the cruise was still to be determined at that point. For those who wanted to get off and end their vacation, they were given a refund for the remaining days of the cruise. People were UPSET and took it out on Guest Services, it was terrible!

Once the Pride left NYC, it didn't dock again until we returned to Baltimore the following Sunday. we cruised laps in the ocean for the rest of the trip. We chose to stay and I am glad we did as it turned out to be our favorite cruise so far.

By the time it was all over, we have a total of $500 OBC and 50% off a future cruise. We have rebooked a Vista Suite on the Pride for Sept 2018 with our discount. For the record, I think Carnival made the right call on this one, and I appreciate them keeping us safe. The staff did an AMAZING job with the cards they were dealt.

Not legally. A cruise ship captain has no legal authority to perform a marriage.

They do perform a "Renewal Of Vows" ceremony.

I just Googled this and was led to a Cruise Critic article on this subject. It depends on the cruise line and where their ships are registered. For example, Princess and Celebrity captains can perform legal marriages at sea.

If the itinerary gets changed due to weather (Hurricanes, tropical storms) how soon will they announce it if the storm is out there before sailing? do they give you an option to cancel with no fees or reschedule? Western itinerary isn't my preference so really hoping irma gets on out of the way before the 23rd!!!

You will have no choice they will do what it takes to keep everyone safe.

We've had total itinerary changes twice - one eastern Caribbean changed to western Caribbean and one western changed to eastern. Both times we weren't told officially until we were on board. The first time if you had two brain cells to rub together you knew it was going to be changed, the second time it was not so clear. We were headed toward St. Thomas, and on the first night during 2nd seating for dinner we heard the announcement that we were no longer going to St. Thomas. The map on the TV showed almost a U-turn. Last minute change - and then the "I'm gonna sue" people came out in full force. Every time changes happen the crazies come out - I can't believe they really wanted to continue on to St. Thomas with a hurricane headed that way too. Nut jobs. Some folks just didn't get their fair share of common sense I guess. I really feel sorry for the great people working the customer service desk during those cruises. I'd have to slap someone.

... - and then the "I'm gonna sue" people came out in full force. Every time changes happen the crazies come out - ... Nut jobs. Some folks just didn't get their fair share of common sense I guess. I really feel sorry for the great people working the customer service desk during those cruises.
It really is troubling.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.