To book or not to book? (Escape on Oct. 7)

WolfDale

Hey fellow cruisers,

My girlfriend and I are heading down from Toronto to Fort Lauderdale on October 7th. Initially, we have plans already set for Walt Disney World in Orlando between October 16th - October 20th. We thought we'd supplement this trip, and turn it into an extended vacation by taking another week off work and cruising on the NCL Escape for the October 7th - October 14th dates.

The cruise is on an Easter Caribbean itinerary with stops at:

- St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands (hit hard)

- Tortola, British Virgin Islands (hit hard)

- Nassau, Bahamas (TBD)

I booked the flight to FLL a couple of days ago, and have had the cruise on courtesy hold over several days now; however, I'm not sure if we should still go. Given that the cruise is less than 30 days away now, I'm not too sure what to expect at these ports... I feel strongly for the locals living in these islands, and I cannot begin to fathom the amount of work and time it's going to take to rebuild the towns.

With that in consideration, what are the probabilities that the itinerary will be changed for the Oct 7 cruise date? Will we likely see a Western itinerary instead? This is my first cruise, and my first time being on an island, and I'm not too sure what to expect.

I can consider cutting the cruise portion of the trip and head straight to Disney for the following week and save this cruise for a later time; except I'm not sure what kind of costs I'll incur for altering my flights.

Any advice from veteran cruisers would be appreciated. Will the lack of infrastructure following Hurricane Irma (and potentially, Jose), impact our enjoyment of the overall cruise (especially for a first timer)?

I have no idea what the chances are that the ports will be used in October. But can give u some food for thought.

1. If you book and maintain the same itinerary - what would you want to do in those ports? If there's something specific you want to see you may want to wait, if you'd be happy with a snorkeling trip or beach day, that would probably still be doable.

2. If they switch to western, IMO, that would be a good outcome. Since your a new cruiser the ports will be new either way and personally I think the western ports are more interesting anyway.

If you going on this itinerary cause you really want to go to Atlantis or something specific; there's a higher chance you'll be disappointed. But if it's simply to enjoy the cruise and some islands, you'll still be going somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you want to try cruising I say book it! Escape is an awesome ship and would probably set your standards pretty high for any future cruises. We sailed the Escape last June. We are also booked on that October 7th cruise and I am not worried at all about where we end up. I feel horrible about what these small islands in the Caribbean have had to endure and will gladly go and spend my money wherever we dock. Like you said, you are new to cruising and islands so anywhere we end up will most likely be exciting.

We are on the Oct 7th Escape cruise.

Wondering if we will be diverted to a Western itinerary. Small potatoes compared to the devastation the Caribbean island nations are facing, but since we are talking cruises, we specifically chose an Eastern itinerary this time so that we could go on a favorite sailing trip in St. Thomas and visit Tortola for only the second time. (Nassau I am literally not getting off the ship.)

We were on the Disney Fantasy last year during Hurricane Matthew, ended up with some major itinerary changes (including an 8th day added) and TWO stops in Cozumel instead of one in Castaway Cay.... :rolleyes: If we end up in Cozumel again on this cruise it will be the fourth time in 12 months. Keeping my perspective here about itinerary changes versus death and destruction though.

I hope that the USVI, BVI, Antigua, St Maarten, etc. can all begin to rebuild... surely tourism $$$ from ships could help re-strengthen the economy after such a huge hit, so hopefully ships will begin to call again there very soon.

I am booked on this cruise also. My heart aches for all those in the Caribbean who have been so terribly impacted by Irma and also for those in Florida and up the Atlantic coast who are to be affected. When I get on the ship I will consider myself very fortunate that I am not in Irma's path here where I live and be happy with whatever itinerary is provided. It will be good to just be on a beautiful new ship. If you are still considering the cruise I'm sure you will have a good time, too.

Heather

Has anybody that is already booked received a new itinerary? Or when you do could you post it? We were all set to book this cruise yesterday, that was our plan, until this devastation happened. My heart breaks for all of these people to the point I almost feel guilty even going. But we have cleared our schedules and got all of our ducks in a row to make it happen so We would still like to go if possible. 😕

Just in case some may not know - NCL posted on their "Weather Alert" on their main page:

Due to the devastating impact in the Caribbean from Hurricane Irma, all of Norwegian Escape’s upcoming Eastern Caribbean sailings until November will be altered to a Western Caribbean itinerary. All guests scheduled to sail on any affected cruises will be notified of the change.

The Oct 7th Escape cruise will be cruising the Western itinerary. I just spoke with NCL and during our conversation this change was confirmed. Hope this is helpful.

Did they tell you if this was their standard Western Caribbean itinerary for Escape? e.g., Roatan, Harvest Caye, Costa Maya, and Cozumel?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Forums mobile app