Pride of America (POA) August 26, 2017 Review

fligster

I am loving your review. We will be doing this cruise in April and plan to attend the Smith's Luau. What kind of seating do they have for the dinner and the show? Are they benches or actual chairs. I am asking because I have a bad back and cannot sit too long with an unsupported back.

I am loving your review. We will be doing this cruise in April and plan to attend the Smith's Luau. What kind of seating do they have for the dinner and the show? Are they benches or actual chairs. I am asking because I have a bad back and cannot sit too long with an unsupported back.

For Dinner, they had chairs. The show was benches, I recall my butt was a little sore after sitting in that position for over an hour, since you have to go early to get a good seat. I just found a clip from the show and the benches did have a back on them.

Edited by fligster
Found Video clip shows back on bench

Thank you for the review.

We are going in April and I like hearing about everyone's experience. Is the Smith Luau really crowded?

Compared to the Polynesian Cultural Center luau, No it wasn't really crowded. There is a big crowd, but even though we were one of the last tables to go to the buffet, we didn't have to wait too long. They had one bar setup at the buffet for drinks and the line moved really fast. In addition to the bar, they had a water, fruit punch and Mai Tai table with pre-filled cups. I never felt overwhelmed or overly crowded. They handled the size of the crowd very well.

We got there right when they opened, so able to park up front, give our names and go right in. Leaving we left after the show and able to get to car and out quickly. It seemed like most people took taxis or buses, rather than drive themselves.

Fligster was it hard to get reservations to teppenyaki . The pictures and video well done

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We booked online about 3 months ahead of time and didn’t have any issues. I believe they have 3 seatings a night, 5:30/7:30/9:30. Because of that and limited amount of seats I would book as early as possible.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have a two bedroom suite in march should we book it at the earliest time possible . I think with a suite we can book 100 days out

I would book as soon as restaurants open up. That way you at least have a reservation and can always change later if plans change. I think the reservations are harder to get on days when the ship is sailing as opposed to overnights. We were doing ours on Friday so wanted to make sure available and did the 7:30 since 9:30 is too late, 5:30 is a little early but doable, but we didn't want to miss the Nepali coast cruise by.

Fligster I see your great pictures of the Marriott ocean views with your free room the night before the cruise. Did you get that view due to luck or did you ask for it

This was either luck or because we had a Suite on the cruise. It wasn't because of my Marriott status or me asking.

It isn't like regular check-in. When you go to the tour lobby, you provide your information and they then give you a pre made up envelope with a letter and your keys already in it. So, the rooms are assigned prior to you arriving. I am not sure if the tour desk has the ability to give you a different room.

I would book as soon as restaurants open up. That way you at least have a reservation and can always change later if plans change. I think the reservations are harder to get on days when the ship is sailing as opposed to overnights. We were doing ours on Friday so wanted to make sure available and did the 7:30 since 9:30 is too late, 5:30 is a little early but doable, but we didn't want to miss the Nepali coast cruise by.

What time is the Na Pali Coast? I know somewhere I wrote it down and for the life of me, I can't find it.

Getting To / From Hawaii

We are from New Jersey so this is a long flight, approximately 12 hours of travel depending on route. Because of this, we used a combination of miles and cash to fly first class. Now, domestic first class is nothing like international business/first class. But, depending on airline and route, you can fly to Hawaii in lie flat seats like those used internationally. Now the service, amenities and food aren't the same as international, but you do get the good seats. If you are fortunate to fly first class to Hawaii, please do some research and pick one of these flights. The cost is usually the same or similar to other routes with "regular" domestic first class seats. The following article provides good information on how to find these routes. https://thepointsguy.com/2016/08/comparing-premium-service-to-hawaii/

Our flight to Hawaii

We paid cash for our flight to Hawaii. I chose United from PHL (our home airport) through IAD (Dulles). I figured this maximized our flights in lie flat seats and minimized travel time since it was a short hop to IAD and then a 10+ hour flight to HNL from there. I was concerned leading up to our flight, since the days before, the PHL to IAD short flight had been cancelled or delayed more times than made me comfortable. But, in the end everything went smoothly and we had no issues.

Our flight form Hawaii

We used miles to flight home from Hawaii on American Airlines. To get the good seats, we flew through DFW. So we had the lie flat seats from HNL to DFW and then regular first class seats from DFW to PHL. Because we were using miles, leaving Saturday was like twice the miles, so we stayed an extra day in Oahu and left on Sunday night instead. I was fine staying in Hawaii an extra day. Luckily for us, American was completing a retrofit of their 767 fleet and we got a plane that had just been retrofitted with new seats a few weeks earlier.

Comparing United to American First Class

Even though the American seats were brand new and the latest design, my wife and son preferred United seats, and I preferred the American. Food and service were both ok, not spectacular. One thing about American is that they provide you with Bose Noise Cancelling headphones to use, but they collected them over 45 minutes before landing I guess so nobody steals them. But then this leaves you unable to watch the TV unless you brought your own and know you can plug regular headset into the one hole of the 2 prong connector.

Video of our Takeoff from Honolulu. Good views of Waikiki and Diamond Head

5gTsRW7O8Q4