Half Moon Cay

VABeach

Please tell me about Half Moon Cay. I will be there in less than two weeks and would love to snorkle with the sting rays. I have my own snorkle gear and am not afraid of walking to where they are on the island. (I assume the island is small). Is it allowable to just go out to where they are on my own and snorkle with them, or do I have to pay for the excursion?

I really don't want to have to pay $30.00 to snorkle if I don't have to.

Thank you for your replys!

Hey there,

You will love HMC it was my favorite day of the trip. About the snorkling, the last time I was there you could do whatever you wanted. Oh, it a good sized island! I don't think there is a **** snorkle patrol. They, however, do know where all the critters are. I am a big fan of my personal snorkle, but that's me.

Hope this helped.

Wyldcat:cool:

On HMC you can freestyle snorkel off the beach, but the stingrays are in a big pen and you must pay to snorkel with them there, they were brought in from another area so I doubt you will see them in the beach areas. They have shuttles to take you across the island for stingrays, horses, and jetski area's.

Look in my photo's link for my HMC & Cabana's part 1 and 2 for an idea of what HMC is like :)

Have to agree with wyldcat, HMC is just awesome. We were actually there just last May and we loved it so much we couldnt wait to go back. We're going on the 5 day Jan 3rd Westerdam cruise. I know people were freely snorkeling all over the place so I dont think it matters. Either way, you will love this little piece of paradise.

Well, we really would like to swim with a sting ray or two. Is it possible to go out on our own first, then if we don't see any, sign up for the tour after we're already on the island? I could take the "wait and see" approach if I thought I could still change my mind later. Does it usually sell out in advance?

Thank you so much for all of the replys! :)

Well, we really would like to swim with a sting ray or two. Is it possible to go out on our own first, then if we don't see any, sign up for the tour after we're already on the island? I could take the "wait and see" approach if I thought I could still change my mind later. Does it usually sell out in advance?

Thank you so much for all of the replys! :)

I have not swam with the stingrays at HMC but I have at other places and I can tell you that HMC is the cheapest price yet for that! So if your going for the ultimate expierence, you should try doing the excursion at HMC. Usually your guide will give you food to feed, help you be able to touch and rub the stingrays. They are very friendly if they are used to people. They love to be rubbed on their tummy area. I reccomend that even if you dont do it on HMC that you try it somewhere with a guide!

Good Luck and have fun whatever you decide :)

Thanks Rev!! Those are beautiful pictures. Nine days and counting. I'm getting really excited now. :D The pictures make me feel like I'm already there. OOppps, wait, I must concentrate on finals for next week... but I don't wanna study... I wanna look at the pretty water. :p Nine more little days. I can do it, I think. Must study. (This is hard.)

Well, last night we got the snowstorm S7S was talking about. Shoveled out the cars, my normal 15 min drive to work took an hour and a half. Someone set off a fire alarm here at work so we all had to stand outside in the snow for half an hour.

I wish I were here:

Day6033.JPG.29e9c91b863dd26f8e72139bc05c9a6b.JPG

Archived