best month to travel to Europe

Justmarie1

We often travel during shoulder season (both spring and fall). We enjoy the smaller crowds but we know we have to be prepared for rain and cold (pack layers including a waterproof outer layer, and don't neglect footwear that's both dry and comfortable over several miles daily walking.) On a late-May trip to Ireland I remember walking around Dublin on a blustery arrival morning and thinking "What have I gotten us into?!?" But the weather brightened a couple of days later and we had beautiful sunny skies for most of the next two weeks.

Traveling in May will give you longer days than in September or October, so for that reason I'd recommend May (or early June if you can fit it in).

As others, I'd recommend late September or early October, but I also like spring. I still remember the fields of daffodils in full bloom at Hampton Court on a spring break trip in high school. On our Princess cruise last month, the outdoor pools were heated, which was appreciated when the high temp during the day was in the low 60s.