Carnival Cruise Terminal Grand Turk

wemjam

Was wondering if anyone had any updates on this area yet? I know there was a post about JH saying it was open, but then back tracking and saying it wasn't.

I found this on another travel forum from last Thursday.

"I just moved from Grand Turk after living there for a year, since storm there is widespread flooding and 50% of houses are damaged there is no power on island nor internet or water, food has run out and the British army has arrived to try and help in restoring the island to a livable standard. I believe it will be 3 months before i would want to visit island as a holiday destination, The carnival cruise center is not open for these very reasons as there is nothing for there, clients, to see except a disaster area, but they are bringing food in to help the people living on island, hope this helps."

Sounds like Carnival's Cruise Terminal may be down for a while... anything new from anyone else.

Sooooo sad, my heart goes out to them all.

The 'terminal' is just the dock, beach, pool and bars. Not a ton of infrastructure to get back up and running. considering JH said it was already ready for business and then took a step back, my guess is it will be back up and running much sooner than 3 months. But again, its just conjecture.

Well, it hasnt hit Gt yet so it may miraculously turn. I dont think GT will be open for at least 8 weeks.

Latest forecast track has the core passing a bit to the right (east) of GT...really hoping it stays that way or gets shifted even further east.

Unfortunately Maria's core has grown substantially from earlier when its hurricane force winds only extended 15-20 miles from the center. They are now up to 50 miles from the center so GT is likely to catch at least some of it. :eek:

The 'terminal' is just the dock, beach, pool and bars. Not a ton of infrastructure to get back up and running. considering JH said it was already ready for business and then took a step back, my guess is it will be back up and running much sooner than 3 months. But again, its just conjecture.

It's more than just the dock, beach, pool and bars. There are quite a few stores right at the pier. https://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/newport.cfm?ID=155

Was wondering if anyone had any updates on this area yet? I know there was a post about JH saying it was open, but then back tracking and saying it wasn't.

I found this on another travel forum from last Thursday.

"I just moved from Grand Turk after living there for a year, since storm there is widespread flooding and 50% of houses are damaged there is no power on island nor internet or water, food has run out and the British army has arrived to try and help in restoring the island to a livable standard. I believe it will be 3 months before i would want to visit island as a holiday destination, The carnival cruise center is not open for these very reasons as there is nothing for there, clients, to see except a disaster area, but they are bringing food in to help the people living on island, hope this helps."

Sounds like Carnival's Cruise Terminal may be down for a while... anything new from anyone else.

Sooooo sad, my heart goes out to them all.

Posted on Cruise Critic News yesterday:

Turks & Caicos

Cruise Port: Grand Turk

A hurricane warning is in effect for the Turks & Caicos as of September 20.

Contrary to a previous statement, Carnival's brand ambassador John Heald posted on his Facebook page: "The latest assessments from Grand Turk indicate that the island is going to need a little more time to be ready for cruise guests so [Carnival] will not be sailing there next week after all."

This affects Carnival Magic, Carnival Conquest, Carnival Sensation and Carnival Glory. Magic, Conquest and Glory have replaced Grand Turk's upcoming calls with the line's private port, Amber Cove; Sensation will instead call at Freeport.

Several of the hotel properties on Turks & Caicos were scheduled for annual closure prior to Irma. Some properties have elected to remain closed to assess any damage to their properties and are looking to reopen in the beginning or middle of October.

The Turks and Caicos Islands Airports Authority re-opened Providenciales International Airport for scheduled flights as of 11 a.m. on Monday, September 11.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=8067

http://stormcarib.com/reports/current/tci.shtml

It's more than just the dock, beach, pool and bars. There are quite a few stores right at the pier. https://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/newport.cfm?ID=155

Yes, we've all been there. My point is there is no 'terminal' building needed to shore the ship. If a giftshop cant be opened, thats not going to cause the cruiseline to abandon the port