Livorno port through Viking

Dauntless

I’ve never cruised with Viking Ocean, but I have visited Livorno a few times.

You can get to other places on your own from there, but it’s not as simple as it ought to be. There are two problems: the closed port area, and the distance from the town to the railway station.

The first issue is simply that Livorno Port is a closed, secure, working port. Whenever i’ve been there it hasn’t been possible for people to simply walk from the ship to the port gates. The port authority provides a shuttle bus to the main town square. This is a good mile or so away, as the bus goes. I can’t recall if it’s chargeable or not. The cruise line may be covering that cost, or may be putting their own own shuttle buses on. But you can’t simply walk out on your own.

Then the next issue is that the railway station is a couple of miles away from the town. There are buses from the main town square to the station and back - there’s a fare for the trip - or there are taxis. Then when you get to the station you’ve got to buy train tickets, identify and board the train, etc.

We did all this on our first visit; we went to Pisa. However we decided afterwards that it was a bit of a hassle, and there were a number of things that could break down and leave us stranded, so whenever we’ve been back, we’ve done cruise line excursions and have saved our DIY energies and efforts for other ports.

Hope this is helpful!

Every time we have been in Livorno with Azamara we have been docked right by the Customs House and have been able to walk over the bridge to town. I wonder if Viking ever get that spot ?

That would be nice, but I wouldn't count on it. We were there on Oceania, with a ship around the same size as Azamara's, and a little bit smaller with a little less draught (depth) than Viking's, and we docked in Livorno. We did the shuttle to the front of the port, walked to the train station, and took the train to Florence. It went smoothly, but of course, you DO need to allow plenty of time in case you get turned around or something else happens. If I had to do it again, and the cruise line offered a reasonably priced "Florence on Your Own" excursion, I'd probably just do that instead. But we DO enjoy a little bit of challenge...

I'm still hoping to get to Pisa some day.

Thanks for all the input, I will be on the Viking Star in January and they are offering a Florence on your own excursion which I am taking and on the second day a scenic Lucca and Pisa excursion, I was in Florence for a week 2 years ago and looking forward to walk around, do some shopping and visit some of the sites I missed then. The Viking bus should be the easiest and most hassle free way to get there.

That's not too bad, unless everybody is trying to get a cab. We are overnighting in Livorno and so we won't have to worry about missing the ship if we take a later train. However, if we were just there for the day, we would definitely depend on Viking's OYO for transportation.

I agree with Peregrina. Use the Viking OYO transportation. Florence has so many things to see and experience and one of them is the church in Santa Croce. You will not believe the tombs that are there. The history is deep and the art is amazing. I may want to suggest that you consider a tour guide because there are so many hidden gems in Florence, you won't want to miss any of them.

We did the Viking OYO transportation in Rome to get there and took the train coming back. Worked perfect until we found that the train depot was some distance from the port and had to become creative to get back to the ship.

• 2 months later...

We are trying to decide how to do Florence and I would like to go to Pisa. I was going to plan on the train but it sounds a bit complicated. I wish the included trip was an all day rather than half a day. Does anyone know if they allow you to go on an early bus and take a late bus back?

We are trying to decide how to do Florence and I would like to go to Pisa. I was going to plan on the train but it sounds a bit complicated. I wish the included trip was an all day rather than half a day. Does anyone know if they allow you to go on an early bus and take a late bus back?

Jane, what we did was sign up for the included tour to Pisa in the morning. When the tour finished, we told the guide we were going off on our own. She pointed us in the direction of the train station, about a 10 minute stroll and once there we bought tickets for the train to Florence. We stayed overnight in Florence and made it back to the ship well before departure the next day. (If the ship overnights in any port, you are not expected to be back in your cabin bed for the evening if that's not what you want to do.)

Jane, what we did was sign up for the included tour to Pisa in the morning. When the tour finished, we told the guide we were going off on our own. She pointed us in the direction of the train station, about a 10 minute stroll and once there we bought tickets for the train to Florence. We stayed overnight in Florence and made it back to the ship well before departure the next day. (If the ship overnights in any port, you are not expected to be back in your cabin bed for the evening if that's not what you want to do.)

If I did that, I would want to make absolutely sure that Viking had my cell phone number and/or knew where I would be staying overnight. Once on another cruise line, the Captain was trying to leave the area of Easter Island in the morning rather than late afternoon because of impending bad weather. However, he had to wait until a couple could be located and brought out to the ship. They had spent the night on the island.

If I did that, I would want to make absolutely sure that Viking had my cell phone number and/or knew where I would be staying overnight. Once on another cruise line, the Captain was trying to leave the area of Easter Island in the morning rather than late afternoon because of impending bad weather. However, he had to wait until a couple could be located and brought out to the ship. They had spent the night on the island.

Ha! It was because of bad weather that we stayed the night in Florence. There was a really bad storm that day--January weather in the Med can be balmy or biatchy, you never know. We were in Florence visiting our daughter who lives there and the weather was so dreadful that we decided to camp out on her couch rather than take the last 10 pm train back to Livorno. We were really anxious because we hadn't told anyone on Viking that we wouldn't be back and we didn't even know if it was allowed!

Lo and behold, when we got back the next day no one blinked an eye at our absence when we boarded again. Our cabin steward told us it was a good thing we hunkered down for the night in Florence because after dinner the weather took a turn for the worse and the Captain had to pull up the gangplanks and shortly thereafter the entire port was locked down. Had we taken that 10 pm train back to Livorno we'd have found ourselves barred from the port and the ship and up sh*t's creek.

Travel is always an adventure, huh? :p

Ha! It was because of bad weather that we stayed the night in Florence. There was a really bad storm that day--January weather in the Med can be balmy or biatchy, you never know. We were in Florence visiting our daughter who lives there and the weather was so dreadful that we decided to camp out on her couch rather than take the last 10 pm train back to Livorno. We were really anxious because we hadn't told anyone on Viking that we wouldn't be back and we didn't even know if it was allowed!

Lo and behold, when we got back the next day no one blinked an eye at our absence when we boarded again. Our cabin steward told us it was a good thing we hunkered down for the night in Florence because after dinner the weather took a turn for the worse and the Captain had to pull up the gangplanks and shortly thereafter the entire port was locked down. Had we taken that 10 pm train back to Livorno we'd have found ourselves barred from the port and the ship and up sh*t's creek.

Travel is always an adventure, huh? :p

Yes, it certainly CAN be!

We are doing the post cruise tour- the three days in Tuscany. Can anyone tell me how much of that includes parts of Florence? I would hate to waste time ( and potentially money) for doubling up on the same places.

I agree ronbe65! We spent 3 days in Florence a few years ago and have been struggling with what to see. I just checked something else with Viking and found out they have shortened the already short Florence on your Own excursion! It was 8:45-6:30 with 1.5 hours travel each way from/to the port. NOW its 9:30-6:30. I'm bummed. We have also booked transfers with RomeinLimo going to Florence only. I had thought of cancelling that and doing the ships OYO but now, ugh!

Please see my post on Viking Star Roll Call May 21, if we had 4 others to join us it would not be much over the Viking excursion and we could get there quicker (9:00)and we hope to stay til 5:30 returning to the ship at 7 for 8:00 sail.

I agree with others about Pisa - we were very disappointed

We are doing the post cruise tour- the three days in Tuscany. Can anyone tell me how much of that includes parts of Florence? I would hate to waste time ( and potentially money) for doubling up on the same places.

Nan & Dean,

Don't double up. It was a full day in Florence for us on the Pre-Cruise Extension in Tuscany. Wonderful time.

From our itinerary of our Mediterranean Odyssey.

Pre-Cruise Extension in Tuscany:

Saturday, 20 Aug. | Rome to Tuscany

When you arrive at the airport in Florence, you will be greeted by your Viking representative, board a coach and drive to Tuscany. After lunch at a farm house,you will drive through the scenic countryside of the Chianti region, before arriving at your hotel, a well-preserved, historic villa. After checking in,enjoy dinner at the villa.

Sunday, 21 Aug. | Florence

Gear for the day’s activities with breakfast at the hotel. You’ll drive by coach to Florence, where you’ll take an unforgettable walking tour of the city center, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. You will see the Florence Cathedral, or Duomo, withits Giotto’s Bell Tower, Baptistery and beautiful doors that Michelangelo called the Gates of Paradise. You’ll also visit the Piazza Della Signoria,Palazzo Vecchio and the Santa Croce Basilica. After a three-course lunch,you’ll have free time to sample gelato or espresso, shop or explore the birthplace of the Renaissance on your own.

Then you’ll travel by coach to a Tuscan winery, where you can tour the wine cellar and taste local wines before enjoying a typical Tuscan dinner. After dinner,the coach will take you back to your villa.

Monday, 22 Aug. | Siena and San Gimignano

Afterbreakfast at the hotel, a coach will transport you to the mystical walled cityof Siena, located in the heart of the Chianti wine region. On your walkingtour, you’ll see the exterior of the exquisite marble cathedral, the beautifulMangia Tower, the Town Hall, the Piazza del Campo and other historic sites thatprovide a glimpse into the city’s medieval past. Next you’ll drive to SanGimignano, a charming medieval village, and have lunch at a typical farm.Following lunch, you will walk back in time, exploring the village’s ancientsquares, narrow streets and an elegant fountain built in 1273. You’ll return by coach to your villa, where you will have dinner.

Tuesday, 23 Aug. | Venice, Italy

Enjoy breakfast at the hotel before you check out. Then you’ll be transported by coach to the port of Venice, where your Viking ship awaits. Lunch will be served aboard the ship

On our cruise 8 days later Wednesday, August 31 when the Viking Sea docked in Livorno we did the "Tour of Scenic Lucca & Pissa (8 1/2 hrs) and did not re-travel any of the areas seen in the Pre-Cruise Extension. I would expect that you would have the same experience with the Post-Cruise Extension. No need to go to Florence unless you want to see it twice. And that's not a bad idea. The winery and dinner after Florence with a local family was grand before returning back to our villa for a swim in the pool watching the sun set over Tuscany before night caps in the lounge with our fellow travelers.

Edited by bcorre2
format

I am reading your pre cruise time in Tuscany while I a sip a glass of Vernaccia wine made from the grapes from the hillside of San Gimignano!

Sounds heavenly.

I love Tuscany and all of its walled towns , Florence, Siena, Lucca, Volterra, and the Chianti region. I stayed there for 8 days many years ago with friends. it was a trip of a life time. I fell in love with italian wines.:hearteyes:

That helps a lot, bcorre2! Sounds like a fantastic line-up. Hope my feet hang in there for all the walking tours! Now I know where to focus my excursion wish list for Livorno.

I suppose they will whisk us off the ship fairly early in Venice.That is my one regret - not having the opportunity to spend another day in Venice. Oh well, next time! Azulann, sounds like you did Tuscany right!

I suppose they will whisk us off the ship fairly early in Venice.That is my one regret - not having the opportunity to spend another day in Venice. Oh well, next time! Azulann, sounds like you did Tuscany right!

I'm not totally sure just when your ship gets into Venice, but if you're up when it's approaching the city/island, you might want to look outside. Venice is one of those ports where you often cruise past San Marco cathedral and some of the city when the ship is coming or leaving. It's not a close drive by, but enough to make it a pretty nice sail-in or out. However, for disembarkation ports, I've often found that cruise ships can come into port at least an hour or two before their stated arrival time, as there's lots for the crew to do to get everyone off the ship that day. I've often woken up on disembarkation day to find the ship is already docked, which can be a little disappointing in certain ports.

I'm not totally sure just when your ship gets into Venice, but if you're up when it's approaching the city/island, you might want to look outside. Venice is one of those ports where you often cruise past San Marco cathedral and some of the city when the ship is coming or leaving. It's not a close drive by, but enough to make it a pretty nice sail-in or out. However, for disembarkation ports, I've often found that cruise ships can come into port at least an hour or two before their stated arrival time, as there's lots for the crew to do to get everyone off the ship that day. I've often woken up on disembarkation day to find the ship is already docked, which can be a little disappointing in certain ports.

I disembarked in Venice. I will not ruin your day by telling you when you leave the ship but you will not have any quiet time nor time to go ashore. You will likely be at the airport before the sun rises.

We actually get port at 12 PM on Saturday 10/27 and the ship stays the night. So, we do have the afternoon in Venice. Sunday is disembarkation day and when we leave for the post cruise extension, Tuscany, probably early in the morn. I wish we had more time in Venice to tour, that's all.

Must be designed to get you to go to a hotel for a night or two after getting off the ship.