Bergen - much to choose from

unseemlygamer

Which excursion should I do in Bergen and why?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Which excursion should I do in Bergen and why?

• Fløibanen
    • Grieg's home and Fantoft

On the other hand, when I get to Bergen at the end of July, the warmest I'm expecting is the 60s (15-20 C), probably a lot of cloud cover, and the sun basically doesn't set for very long in Norway. Wind and rain? Considering the climate of Bergen, who knows?

• 5 months later...

I am looking for opinions of which is the best to do in Bergen, the Cable car or the funicular?

Does one have a longer line than the other?

Do both of them have a place at the top where we can get a drink?

I am also wondering how much time each of these would take, because we also want to walk around to explore.

We looked at the Bergen port schedule - it appears that we're berthing at this alternative dock, and would have to take the shuttle. I also searched the City Sightseeing buses where you can purchase an all-day ticket that includes the funicular, even in advance. As far as I know, those come up right as I'd get off the ship.

Seeing more of the town and meeting locals definitely sounds like a nice advantage to walking up instead of taking the funicular, but let's see...we get to Bergen at noon. I was then considering a 3-hour excursion to Grieg's home that departs either at 1:45 or 2pm. Could certainly visit the Fish Market and Mt. Fløyen in the meantime.

"Weather can be changeable, but light waterproofs with a few layers will get you through. In the summertime we have only experienced light rain." Well, this stop will be on a day in late July.

We were in Bergen last July 29 and left on July 30. It was sunny but breezy with periodical light rain on and off so we were in rain jackets plus we had umbrellas provided by our ship. We had I believe 3 hour excursion through the city and around it and the local guide was fantastic. We did have a few stops for photo opportunity. This excursion showed us the places we definitely wanted to return to. Well, this year our cruise ends up at Bergen and we extended our stay. We know for a fact that we want to walk and live like locals. Best way to find out about city and people.

On the other hand, when I get to Bergen at the end of July, the warmest I'm expecting is the 60s (15-20 C), probably a lot of cloud cover, and the sun basically doesn't set for very long in Norway. Wind and rain? Considering the climate of Bergen, who knows?

Yes, the sun goes down late and sunset is absolutely gorgeous! I don't know how to add picture but it was breath taken

I am looking for opinions of which is the best to do in Bergen, the Cable car or the funicular?

Does one have a longer line than the other?

Do both of them have a place at the top where we can get a drink?

I am also wondering how much time each of these would take, because we also want to walk around to explore.

IMO the Fløibanen funicular is most interesting and also closer to the city centre. Buy tickets in advance. You can easily combine a walk in the city with either the Funicular or Cable Car.

The Fløibanen funicular in Bergen is one of Norway’s best-known attractions. Fløibanen is in the heart of Bergen, 150 m from Fisketorget – the fish market – and Bryggen wharf. It’s only a 10-minute walk to the lower station from where the cruise ships dock. The journey up to Fløyen (320 m above sea level) takes about 5–8 minutes. There is a mid station - not all carriages does stop here

At the top of Fløibanen 320 m ( feels) above sea level you will find a shop and cafè, restaurant and free restrooms,

The journey is an experience in itself, and at the top you can enjoy fantastic views of Bergen. Link to Fløibanen web

Ulriken Cable Car takes you to the top of Mount Ulriken, one of the seven mountains surrounding the city of Bergen. And also the Ulriken Restaurant Sky:Skraper next to the cable car upper station. The mountain terrain 643 metres above sea level.

Ulriken Express Bus will take you from the Fish Market from May to September. Bus number 2, 3 or 80 takes you from the city center to Haukeland Hospital. 5 minutes walk from the bus stop and up to Ulriken lower station. The trip takes roughly 2 hours Link to Ulriken Cable car web

Edited by hallasm