Have O class ships ever docked at San Basilio?

tropicalkerry2002

I do not know if the O class ships docked at San Basilio in the past but San Basilio is now being used almost exclusively for the smaller vessels. The R class ships sometimes dock there but in the recent past they also have been docking at the main terminal.Depends on how many smaller ships are there at once.

Edited by TERRIER1

San Basilio is often used for smaller ships. On our 1st Oceania cruise, Regatta was docked at San Basilio. It is in the Dorsoduro part of Venice. If you google Venice cruise port, you should be able to see a map of where San Basilio is.

I just don't know if Riviera is considered a smaller ship...

When you could see the port schedule the O class ships seem to dock at the main piers & the R ships docked at SB in the shoulder seasons

but during July & August docked at the larger port

now the Venice port site does not tell you what quays the ships dock at

http://www.vtp.it/en/ship-schedule/

Edited by LHT28

I KNOW!

I've looked everywhere to try to find where it docks!

How silly for the website to not have that info!

Yes they used to tell you you what dock

maybe too many ships & they had to make changes last minute for docking

It is Italy they do things differently there :halo:

We were on Viking Oceans in 2015, late summer - obviously not Oceania, but we DID dock at San Basilio. Viking Ocean ships are around the same size as Marina, etc., so I would guess that Oceania's big ships COULD dock there. We were originally scheduled (per the cruise line and the port schedule) to dock in the regular port, but when I got to Venice, I saw our Viking ship sitting at San Basilio. What a surprise!

I would keep your hotel reservation and see what happens, but as I found out, surprises can happen, even when the port is your embarkation port!

We were on Viking Oceans in 2015, late summer - obviously not Oceania, but we DID dock at San Basilio. Viking Ocean ships are around the same size as Marina, etc., so I would guess that Oceania's big ships COULD dock there. We were originally scheduled (per the cruise line and the port schedule) to dock in the regular port, but when I got to Venice, I saw our Viking ship sitting at San Basilio. What a surprise!

I would keep your hotel reservation and see what happens, but as I found out, surprises can happen, even when the port is your embarkation port!

I saw a Viking ship at San Basilio when we were there to board Riviera in Nov of 2015

Was Riviera docked at San Basilio or Marittima?

Sorry, I can see how that wasn't clear. We were at Marittima. When we saw the Viking ship we were on the Vaporetto. When we embarked we spent the first night on board the ship in Venice.

Sorry, I can see how that wasn't clear. We were at Marittima. When we saw the Viking ship we were on the Vaporetto.

Well you were not as specific the 1st time

so no need to be snarky

I saw a Viking ship at San Basilio when we were there to board Riviera in Nov of 2015

Well you were not as specific the 1st time

so no need to be snarky

Actually I wasn't being, sorry you interpreted it that way. I was just trying to explain. It was clearly my fault for not being clear.

Well, in answer to the question of whether it matters whether the ship is at Marittima or San Basilio, I would say that it doesn't matter much. There is a vaporetto stop at SB, so even if you're staying at P Roma, I would guess you could take a vaporetto over to SB. We took one from the San Marco area, and luggage WAS allowed, so it wasn't bad. At least the line that services is SB is not one of the most popular, crowded one. The vaporettos at P. Roma are a tiny bit hidden, but for people going to Venice and staying overnight at P. Roma, there should be time to find them before you need to head out with luggage. There's also a small grocery/convenience store near the P. Roma vaporetto stops in case you need any basics. But back to San Basilio: Once off the vaporetto, there's a short walk (not sure of tenths of mile, but I'd say a one minute walk, two at very most at slow speed) and it's easy to find the terminal - just head down the waterfront away from St. Marks! When we were there on Viiking, the terminal was small and easy to deal with, but then there was a very short coach ride (provided by port or Viking) to where the ship was docked.

Edited by roothy123