Paid upgrade?

LarryHD2

We're on the Anthem for this Thanksgiving.

I've read all sorts of upgrade threads but none answer my question.

We have 2 balcony cabins with a connecting door, wife and I in one and the kids in the other..... If they offer paid upgrades, what's the possibility of RCL combining us together and offering us a suite?..... I would pay a "little" more for that.

I checked are there are a lot of suites still available on this sailing.

I'm almost hesitant to take a combined upgrade... kids in a separate room behind a lockable door... but I might consider it if the price were right.

Upgrades are extremely rare. Most likely if you upgrade you would have to pay full price. Also, if this would be after final payment date, you would be cancelling one of the bookings, which would incur penalties.

I was just in this situation on the Harmony. My husband and I were is a JS and the kids (15 & 20) in a connecting balcony. As the cruise date was getting closer (after final payment date) the price of one of the larger suites dropped to less than I paid for our two cabins and I was willing to go back to one cabin.

The problem was that because it was after final due date, I would be cancelling one of the rooms and incur the penalties. RCI would not budge on this point. I would have been willing to pay slightly more to get a bigger suite for us and move the kids to another cabin next to us but there wasn't a suite with a non suite next door and it was too expensive to get two suites beside each other. I know we could have put 1 adult and child in each room and move when on board but then my husband would not have had gold card access.

I wasn't really bothered by it as the JS on Harmony is really a nice cabin you just don't get the perks of a larger suite and as the rest of our group wasn't sailing in suites we wouldn't have utilized as many of the perks anyway.

maryjaden....we have done paid upgrades a few times after final payment. RCI will gladly take more of your money to move you from say a balcony cabin to a junior suite. The problem, as you noted, came with the second cabin cancellation.

Have also had a higher class(ocean view to balcony) cabin come available for less than we had booked. They will give you the higher class cabin, but will not refund any overage money. This was after final payment also.

Hmm. On DCL you can ask about suite upgrade at dock check-in. They offer at slightly reduce price.

RCI did that many years ago but the word spread and the requests for that type of upgrade became large enough that RCI decided to offer paid upgrades to various passengers prior to boarding day.

We're on the Anthem for this Thanksgiving.

I've read all sorts of upgrade threads but none answer my question.

We have 2 balcony cabins with a connecting door, wife and I in one and the kids in the other..... If they offer paid upgrades, what's the possibility of RCL combining us together and offering us a suite?..... I would pay a "little" more for that.

I checked are there are a lot of suites still available on this sailing.

I'm almost hesitant to take a combined upgrade... kids in a separate room behind a lockable door... but I might consider it if the price were right.

From what I hear you may want to keep these two points in mind:

1) The connecting door can be closed, but it can not be locked/unlocked without a special key only the steward will have. So it's either locked the entire cruise, or unlocked the entire cruise.

2) Sound travels extremely easily through the door. Conversations ... and anything else...

maryjaden....we have done paid upgrades a few times after final payment. RCI will gladly take more of your money to move you from say a balcony cabin to a junior suite. The problem, as you noted, came with the second cabin cancellation.

Have also had a higher class(ocean view to balcony) cabin come available for less than we had booked. They will give you the higher class cabin, but will not refund any overage money. This was after final payment also.

I have done a paid upgrade and free upgrade to higher cabins several times also. It's been great. When I called about on the Harmony though because I would lose the money from the "cancellation" on the kids cabin it was too expensive. I would think it would have been a no brainier for them because the less expensive cabins are easier to fill at the last minute and by moving us to one cabin they would have gained two nice cabins (on the hump) I even called back and spoke with C and A. RCI will not budge on the cancellation after final payment due date.