Elite Beverage Package and Wine HAL Newbie

yvonneh

Hello,

I just booked my first HAL cruise for over Thanksgiving on the NA, and plan on purchasing the Elite Beverage Package. Beside coffees and lots of water, I love great wine.

My question is for other wine appreciators: Have you been happy with the wine selection HAL offers onboard and does anyone have a current list? I love Champagne, Rosé, Cabernet, and love to try new wine as well. How does HAL compare to Celebrity ( excellent Premium Package) in this department?

Thank you so much for your input!

The elite package will allow you to order wines up to $15 per glass.

Post #568 has a link to the MDR wines:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=51951024&highlight=wine+list#post51951024

While almost all the wines are on the list, whether these are 'great wines' is a matter of opinion.

Personally, we would stop at Total Wine in Fort Lauderdale and pick up some better wines.

Apologies for skipping my usual fancy formatting....

Here's the late December 2016 list from Eurodam. Bear in mind that will likely be some changes, however, the composition of the list remains pretty consistent. (In case it's not obvious, I really pay attention to this stuff. Probably too much. It's a tough job, but somebody's got to do it.)

Not only are the wines listed, but I also compiled all the ratings I could find from my wine magazine subscriptions and other reliable sources. (The ratings are by wine professionals. I'm just a really enthusiastic amateur.)

The ratings scale:

95-100 Classic: a great wine

90-94 Outstanding: a wine of superior character and style

85-89 Very good: a wine with special qualities

80-84 Good: a solid, well-made wine

75-79 Mediocre: a drinkable wine that may have minor flaws

50-74 Not recommended

Sparkling:

Cantine Maschio Brut Prosecco Treviso, Italy - $6.25 - Crisp and stony, with floral, white peach and slivered almond notes riding the lively bead. 85 points WS

Nicolas Feuillatte Brut Champagne Réserve France - $12.50 - This balanced Champagne is ripe and juicy, with crème de cassis and Honeycrisp apple fruit flavors accented by details of honey, smoke and biscuit. A fresh and creamy aperitif. 90 points WS

Domaine Chandon Brut California Classic - $13.00 - Lively and crisp, with user-friendly flavors of tart apple, lemon and spicy vanilla. 89 points WS

Veuve Clicquot Brut Champagne - $17.50 -Bright and lightly toasty, this elegant Champagne layers flavors of cassis, crushed hazelnut and lemon meringue pie on the creamy bead. 90 points WS

White Wine:

Zonin Pinot Grigio Latisana del Friuli Albola - $6.25 - A simple white, with some apple and banana character. Medium-bodied, offering good acidity and a light finish. - 84 points WS

La Terre White Zinfandel - $6.25 - No rating found.

Ruffino Pinot Grigio - $11.00 - Intense, clean notes of meadow flowers, pears and pleasant hints of golden apple. The bouquet is fresh and fragrant, yet complex, showing refined notes of sage and mint, with a nice touch of minerality typical of Pinot Grigio - Mid 80s

Gruber-Ro****z Riesling (Spelled wrong on list) - $8.50 - Subtle, fruitful Riesling which reveals its subtle charms rather slowly. The nose is shy but the palate shines with ripe, aromatic apricot fruit, accentuated by lemon freshness and centered around a concentrated core of fruit and zest. This is slender but generous, refreshing and lasting. - 88 points Winemag.com

Snoqualmie Select Riesling - $7.25 - Moderately sweet, offering apricot and pear flavors that remain ripe as the finish lingers. - 85-87 points

Zonin Moscato - $8.50 - Excellent as dessert wine it matches perfectly with jam tarts fruit salads and pastry. Low alcohol 7% - 84 point avg

Domaine Laroche Chablis - $13.50 - Lovely balance and expressive flavors of apple, peach and lemon highlight this juicy white. Leaves a mouthwatering impression on the stony finish. - 89 poiints WS

Formation Monterey Sauvignon Blanc - $9.75 - I can find nothing on this Formation's Sauv Blanc. It was fine though, probably 84-86 if I had to rate it.

Villa Maria Sauvignon Blanc - $12.25 - Lean, with grass, citrus zest and ruby grapefruit flavors that are juicy and vibrant. Toasted herb and floral details linger. - 87 points WS

Santa Carolina Chardonnay - $6.25 - A fruity style, with Gala apple and pear tart flavors that are clean and direct. The spicy finish has some smoky notes. - 86 points WS

Vina Santa Carolina Chardonnay - $6.50 - This was the Reserva di Familia. - Rich and well-crafted, with concentrated ripe pear, apple pastry and almond tart notes. The buttery finish is long and spicy, supported by fresh acidity. - 89 points WS

Penfolds Chardonnay South Australia Koonunga Hill - $8.50 - Refreshing, with lime zest and tangerine flavors that have a spicy edge. Compact and intense. - 87 points WS

Chateau Ste. Michelle, Mimi Chardonnay, Washington - $9.75 - A lightly oaked, elegant style, offering apple and pear fruit character with bright natural acidity. Refreshing yet complex.90 points, Wine Enthuisiast

Red Wine:

Santa Carolina Merlot - $6.25 - There's plenty of freshness to the juicy red plum, dark cherry and black olive flavors, accented by appealing green herbal notes. Finishes with hints of dried mint and chocolate. - 88 points WS

Santa Carolina Cabernet Sauvignon - $6.25 - Zesty, with dried green herbal notes to the fresh red plum and berry flavors. Olive and mineral accents show on the finish. - 88 points WS

Luigi Bosca La Linda Malbec - $8.50 - A zesty style, redolent of cherry and licorice flavors, with notes of pepper in the mix. The juicy finish has some paprika details. - 87 points WS

Greystone Cellars Merlot - $9.25 - Jammy and soft, with simple cherry and cola flavors. - 84 points

Batasiolo Barbera D'asti - $9.75 - High-toned boysenberry and raspberry flavors, with bright acidity and slightly chewy tannins. Moderate length. - WS 84 points

Meridian Pinot Noir - $9.75 - Fresh, with snappy cranberry and wild berry flavors that are pleasant and easy-drinking. - 85 points

Casa Lapostolle Cabernet Sauvignon - $9.75 - A crunchy red, showing good cut to the dried berry and cherry flavors, with plenty of savory details. Dried green herb hints show on the finish. - 86 points WS

Light Horse Jamieson Ranch Pinot Noir - $9.75 - Smoky, oaky aroma leads to meaty flavors with notes of rhubarb and red cherries. The texture is on the soft side and the body is medium. On the finish those oaky notes meld with the fruit for a soft finale. - 88 points Wine Enthusast

Line 39 Lake County Cabernet Sauvignon - $9.75 - Big and brawny, this has bold, ripe fruit aromas and flavors that are shaded by thyme and dill, and backed by very firm tannins and good acidity. The mouthfeel is full and astringent, and the mouth-puckering tannins last on the finish. - 86 points Wine Enthusiast

Columbia Crest Grand Estates Merlot - $12.25 - Broad and generous, with expressive cedar, blueberry and cream flavors that glide over polished tannins into the long, precise finish. - 87 points WS

Niebaum Coppola Claret - $13.50 - Seriously tasty and full-bodied, this inky-colored wine is packed with ripe fruit, fine tannins and firm texture, and needs a juicy steak or tender roast as a table mate. A core of black cherry and black plum is shaded by spicy oak. - 88 points Wine Enthusiast

Peter Lehmann Portrait Shiraz - $14.75 - Bursting with blueberry and plum flavors, this offers chocolate and Earl Grey tea accents. Velvety and smooth on the long finish - 88 points WS

Penfolds Koonunga Hill Cabernet Sauvignon - $9.75 - There's a brambly fresh herb detail to the berry and plum flavors, with impressive minerality, chewy tannins and notes of fresh earth. 88 points WS.

Beverage - HAL Price - HAL SBP - HAL EBP

DAILY PRICE - - $51.69 - $63.19

PROMO COST/DAY - Explore 4 - Free - $11.50

Non-Alcoholic - HAL Price - HAL SBP - HAL EBP

Mineral Water 1.5L - $3.95 - Yes - Yes

Mineral Water 0.5L - $1.95 - Yes - Yes

San Pelligrino 1.0L - $4.50 - Yes - Yes

Perrier 750ml - $3.25 - Yes - Yes

Juices - All - $2.75 - Yes - Yes

Soda - All - $2.25 - Yes - Yes

Red Bull - $4.50 - Yes - Yes

Red Bull Sugar Free - $4.50 - Yes - Yes

Please note that both plans include mocktails and smoothies.

WINE - HAL Price - HAL SBP # - HAL EBP #

House Sparkling - $6.50 - 1 - 1

Prosecco - $6.75 - 1 - 1

Other Sparkling - $9.50 - 0 - 1

Champagne - $12.50 - 0 - 1

Pinot Grigio - $6.50-$11.00 - 1 - 2

Chablis - $13.50 - 0 - 1

Chardonnay - $6.50-$9.75 - 2 - 4

Riesling - $7.25-8.50 - 2 - 2

Moscato - $8.50 - 1 - 1

Sauv Blanc - $8.50-$9.75 - 1 - 2

Barbera - $9.75 - 0 - 1

Claret - $13.50 - 0 - 1

Malbec - $8.50 - 1 - 1

Merlot - $6.50-$12.25 - 1 - 2

Cabernet Sauv - $6.50-$9.75 - 3 - 5

Shiraz/Syrah - $7.25-$14.75 - 2 - 3

Pinot Noir - $9.75 - 0 - 2

Zinfandel - $6.50 - 1 - 1

White Zin - $6.50 - 1 - 1

Dessert Wine - $7.95 - 1 - 1

Number Wines Available - - 19 - 34

BEER 12 oz - HAL Price - HAL SBP - HAL EBP

Amstel Light - $5.95 - Yes - Yes

Beck's - $5.95 - Yes - Yes

Blue Moon - $5.95 - Yes - Yes

Corona - $5.95 - Yes - Yes

Guinness Stout - $6.25 - Yes - Yes

Heineken - $5.95 - Yes - Yes

Molson - $5.95 - Yes - Yes

Sam Adams Boston Lager - $5.95 - Yes - Yes

Stella Artois - $5.95 - Yes - Yes

BEER 16 oz - HAL Price - HAL SBP - HAL EBP

Boddington's - $6.25 - Yes - Yes

Bud - $6.25 - Yes - Yes

Bud Light - $6.25 - Yes - Yes

Bud Light Lime - $6.25 - Yes - Yes

Coors Light - $6.25 - Yes - Yes

Grolsch - $7.25 - Yes - Yes

Michelob Ultra - $6.25 - Yes - Yes

Miller Genuine Draft - $6.25 - Yes - Yes

Miller Lite - $6.25 - Yes - Yes

CIDERS/OTHER - HAL Price - HAL SBP - HAL EBP

Crispin Cider - $5.75 - Yes - Yes

NA Beer - $4.25 - Yes - Yes

Rekordling Pear - $6.50 - Yes - Yes

Rekordling Strawberry/Lime - $6.50 - Yes - Yes

Smirnoff Ice - $5.25 - Yes - Yes

Strongbow Cider - $5.75 - Yes - Yes

VODKA - HAL Price - HAL SBP - HAL EBP

Absolut - $7.25 - Yes - Yes

Absolut Citron - $7.25 - Yes - Yes

Absolut Mandarin - $7.25 - Yes - Yes

Absolut Vanilla - $7.25 - Yes - Yes

Belvedere - $9.95 - Excluded - Yes

Chopin - $9.95 - Excluded - Yes

Finlandia - $6.25 - Yes - Yes

Grey Goose - $7.95 - Yes - Yes

Grey Goose Citron - $7.95 - Yes - Yes

Grey Goose 'Orange - $7.95 - Yes - Yes

Grey Goose La Poire - $7.95 - Yes - Yes

Ketel One - $7.50 - Yes - Yes

New Amsterdam - $6.95 - Yes - Yes

Skyy - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Skyy Pineapple - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Smirnoff - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Stolichnaya - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Tito's - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Vox - $6.95 - Yes - Yes

RUM - HAL Price - HAL SBP - HAL EBP

Appleton - $7.25 - Yes - Yes

Bacardi - $7.00 - Yes - Yes

Bacardi 8 - $7.00 - Yes - Yes

Bacardi Gold - $7.00 - Yes - Yes

Bacardi Limon - $7.00 - Yes - Yes

Bacardi Oakheart - $7.00 - Yes - Yes

Bacardi Razz - $7.00 - Yes - Yes

Brugal - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Captain Morgan - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Cruzan - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Gosling's Black Seal - $7.25 - Yes - Yes

Malibu - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Myer's Dark - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Pyrat XO - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

BOURBON - HAL Price - HAL SBP - HAL EBP

Buffalo Trace - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Jack Daniels - $7.50 - Yes - Yes

Jack Daniels Honey - $7.50 - Yes - Yes

Jim Beam - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Jim Beam Red Stag - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Knob Creek - $7.95 - Yes - Yes

Maker's Mark - $7.95 - Yes - Yes

Tatoosh - $7.95 - Yes - Yes

Wild Turkey 101 - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

RYE/IRISH WHISKY - HAL Price - HAL SBP - HAL EBP

Canadian Club - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Crown Royal - $7.00 - Yes - Yes

Jameson Irish - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Seagram's 7 Crown - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Seagram's VO - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Tatoosh Rye - $7.95 - Yes - Yes

SCOTCH - HAL Price - HAL SBP - HAL EBP

Aberfeldy - $7.75 - Yes - Yes

Ballentine's - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Chivas Regal - $7.25 - Yes - Yes

Cutty Sark - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Dalmore - $10.25 - Excluded - Yes

Dewar's 12 Year Old - $7.25 - Yes - Yes

Dewar's White - $7.00 - Yes - Yes

Glen Deveron - $8.50 - Yes - Yes

Glenfiddich - $10.25 - Excluded - Yes

Glenlivet - $8.95 - Yes - Yes

Glenmorangie - $9.95 - Excluded - Yes

Highland Park - $11.95 - Excluded - Yes

J&B - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Johnnie Walker - Black - $7.75 - Yes - Yes

Johnnie Walker - Red - $7.00 - Yes - Yes

Laphroaig - $8.95 - Yes - Yes

Macallan Select Oak - $11.95 - Excluded - Yes

GIN - HAL Price - HAL SBP - HAL EBP

Bols Dutch Jenever - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Bombay - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Bombay Sapphire - $7.50 - Yes - Yes

Hendricks - $8.00 - Yes - Yes

Tanqueray - $7.50 - Yes - Yes

Tanqueray 10 - $7.50 - Yes - Yes

TEQUILA - HAL Price - HAL SBP - HAL EBP

Cabo Wabo Blanco - $9.95 - Excluded - Yes

Cazadores Anejo - $9.95 - Excluded - Yes

El Jimador Silver - $7.75 - Yes - Yes

Herradura Reposado - $9.95 - Excluded - Yes

Herradura Silver - $9.75 - Excluded - Yes

Jose Cuervo 1800 - $7.75 - Yes - Yes

Jose Cuervo Gold - $6.95 - Yes - Yes

Patron Anejo - $13.95 - Excluded - Yes

Patron Reposado - $11.95 - Excluded - Yes

Patron Silver - $9.95 - Excluded - Yes

APERITIF - HAL Price - HAL SBP - HAL EBP

Aperol - $6.50 - Yes - Yes

Campari - $6.50 - Yes - Yes

Dubonnet - $6.00 - Yes - Yes

Pernod - $6.25 - Yes - Yes

Vermouth - $6.00 - Yes - Yes

COGNAC/ARMAGNAC - HAL Price - HAL SBP - HAL EBP

Armagnac - $8.95 - Yes - Yes

Courvoisier Napoleon - $10.95 - Excluded - Yes

Courvoisier VS - $7.50 - Yes - Yes

Courvoisier VSOP - $8.50 - Yes - Yes

Hennessey VS - $7.95 - Yes - Yes

Hennessey VSOP - $9.95 - Excluded - Yes

Hennessey XO - $19.95 - Excluded - Excluded

Remy Martin VSOP - $10.95 - Excluded - Yes

Remy Martin XO - $18.95 - Excluded - Excluded

DIGESTIF - HAL Price - HAL SBP - HAL EBP

Aquavit - $5.95 - Yes - Yes

Grappa di Alexander - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Grappa di Cabernet - $6.50 - Yes - Yes

Grappa di Prosecco - $6.25 - Yes - Yes

Limoncello - $6.50 - Yes - Yes

Villa Massa Limoncello PGI - $7.00 - Yes - Yes

LIQUEUR - HAL Price - HAL SBP - HAL EBP

Amaretto Disaronno - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Baileys Irish Cream - $6.95 - Yes - Yes

Chambord - $6.25 - Yes - Yes

Cointreau - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Crème de Menthe - $6.25 - Yes - Yes

D.O.M. Benedictine - $6.50 - Yes - Yes

Drambuie - $6.95 - Yes - Yes

Frangelico - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Galliano - $6.25 - Yes - Yes

Grand Marnier - $6.95 - Yes - Yes

Jagermeister - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Kahlua - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

Patron Cafe XO - $11.95 - Excluded - Yes

Patron Citronage - $6.25 - Yes - Yes

Sambuca - $6.95 - Yes - Yes

Southern Comfort - $6.95 - Yes - Yes

Tia Maria - $6.75 - Yes - Yes

PORT/SHERRY - HAL Price - HAL SBP - HAL EBP

Dow's LBV - $7.95 - Yes - Yes

f-larvey Bristol Cream Sherry - $6.00 - Yes - Yes

Graham's Six Grapes - $9.95 - Excluded - Yes

Sandeman - $6.50 - Yes - Yes

Smith Woodhouse Reserve LBV - $6.50 - Yes - Yes

Tio Pepe Sherry - $6.25 - Yes - Yes

Warre's Otima - $6.50 - Yes - Yes

Warre's Warrior Tawny - $9.95 - Excluded - Yes

And finally... for the qualitative stuff.

We were perfectly happy with the EBP. We upgraded from the free SBP, so our out of pocket cost was $11.50 per person per day. My father-in-law stuck with the SBP, but he's not much of a wine connoisseur. Since we're in Fort Lauderdale, our normal MO is to lug our own wines onboard and pay corkage. We typically have a bottle of red and a bottle of white each evening and throw in a Champagne on gala nights and the last night. (Often the first night, too.)

This is amazing!!! I appreciate this so much. This must have taken you some serious time. I will definitely use this as a guide. [emoji2][emoji485]

Thank you!!

Yes, not quite the wine list I was hoping for. I'll try to be adventurous! [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is amazing!!! I appreciate this so much. This must have taken you some serious time. I will definitely use this as a guide. [emoji2][emoji485]

Thank you!!

Yes, not quite the wine list I was hoping for. I'll try to be adventurous! [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You're welcome. A lot of people research ports and destinations when they cruise. I do this. You'd be surprised how often there's a call for it.

I'm sure that there are some changes since I compiled the list earlier in the year, but with 30+ wines to choose from, you shouldn't have a problem with pairings. Make sure you try things you wouldn't normally order.

One of the things I enjoy on HAL is trying out the many American wines they feature as part of the Navigator and Admiral wine packages that simply aren't available where I live (Ontario, Canada).

If your palate is more refined than mine, you may well want to consider boarding with your own preferred vintages but keep in mind that you will have to pay the corkage fee on any bottles beyond the one-each at embarkation. Note that even with this fee the total cost is still well below what it would cost ordering such bottles in a restaurant etc, which is usually 2x to 2.5x markup. You also have to carry the bottles yourself aboard (you can't have them checked in).

My advice is to board with the corkage-free allowance of two bottles (some better bubbly!) and get a wine package aboard. Then you can have the wine stewards suggest something suitable for your meals each day. Oh and unfinished bottles can be taken back to your stateroom too!