QE2 Princess or Caronia

rm fish

I am about to book a cabin for a world cruise segment, and I have never been on the QE2. I will be booking a single and there are only 2 singles in Princess, so I would know what I am getting. In Caronia, there are 8 singles ranging from 99 to 186 sq ft and Cunard does not assign a cabin. A month in 99 sq ft sounds pretty tight. Is it worth paying more money for the Princess class. Is dining in the Princess worth it? do you get anything else for being in Princess rather than Caronia? I'd really appreciate any advice.

I am about to book a cabin for a world cruise segment, and I have never been on the QE2. I will be booking a single and there are only 2 singles in Princess, so I would know what I am getting. In Caronia, there are 8 singles ranging from 99 to 186 sq ft and Cunard does not assign a cabin. A month in 99 sq ft sounds pretty tight. Is it worth paying more money for the Princess class. Is dining in the Princess worth it? do you get anything else for being in Princess rather than Caronia? I'd really appreciate any advice.

we never had a single but the best cruises we ever had was in the princess grill on the qe2 two times Better than the qm2, well worth the extra money.WE ENVY YOU!!! BON VOYAGE!!!

Both restaurants have their advantages - Princess is my favorite(even more so than Queens Grill).

Caronia is larger....Princess Grills are smaller & the service better. The Queens Grill looks out onto teh Boat Deck & tends to be warm when in hot climates. Princess Grill have delicious views of the ocean!

Enjoy either way.

Remember to have a pre dinner cocktail in the Chart Room...lovely piano & harpist!

Thanks for the advice. The only other Cunard ship that I have been on is the old Caronia on a trip around South America. I enjoyed the ship and the voyage immensely. Based on your advice I'll do the Princess Grill. It's hard to know when you've never been on a ship before. I've looked at the deck plans of the QE2 on other sites but I couldnl't really tell much about the singles, and you usually need to book a single early. any other advice?

If you book Princess Grill - then you'll have access to the Queens Grill Lounge.

It's a small lounge, but very nice. Best bit being the excellent canapes in the evening.

also the princess lounge below the princess grill. now called the champagne lounge very small very intimate and a private stair case to the princess grill!! enjoy!!!

The Princess Grill IS lovely, is the original grill space and is tiered.....you have window walls of glass on the ocean.....a dinning room designed to be at sea. I've gone double, loved the red colors, the intimate service. You'll probably be assigned to a table of 6 or 8, meeting nice people on your segment; the room may seat 109-120 now.

The Princess-grade cabins I've had had teak walls, looked like they were on a fine ship. You will be; enjoy!

As well, you may use the Queen Grills Lounge; tea is nice and not always crowded.

Dining in Caronia you'd be with 450-plus, at one seating. More "bustle".

If you enjoy intimate service, the smaller grill is a nice way to go. :)

also the princess lounge below the princess grill. now called the champagne lounge very small very intimate and a private stair case to the princess grill!! enjoy!!!

The Champagne Bar is open to all passengers, only the Queens Grill Bar is reserved for Grill class passengers. However, as 2moose points out, there is direct access from the Champagne Bar to the Princess Grill.

Peter

I am booked in PG single cabin 2113 for next year's US / Canada crossing & cruise and managed to take a look at this cabin when on QE2 in July earlier this year.It is quite spacious for one person with a good size bathroom - my only comment here is that it is not one of the modern Grill type bathrooms with marble tiles & surround on the washbasin - but I am hoping this is changed when the ship is refitted next April / May! It has only one closet which had a reasonable amount of space albeit the safe & fridge take up a lot of room. There were 2 portholes and the bed is next to these and then there were from memory a dressing table area and about 8 / 10 large drawers so quite a bit of storage space - I usually take a QG single and you do get at least 2 walk closets so it's not as much space as that grade but very good all the same - it will be interesting RM fish if you have this cabin on your WCruise segment - is it next year you travel? I was fortunate to dine in the Princess Grill in July (I was in the Queens Grill) and I agree with other posts the views of the sea are great - better than the QG Rest. and service very good and food excellent - there was an a la carte menu not as varied as the Queens Grill but my understanding is like the QG Rest you can pretty much order off menu every night if you wish! I too like the QG Lounge as there is a nice bar area and also it's good for escaping the crowds for tea although the Queens Room like on QM2 is still the place to have a.noon tea.

I have only once tried Caronia Rest. and whilst I found it very good it is not like the Grill restaurants with their first class service, food & very comfortable cabins. One point I would mention and I have been lucky to benefit from this a few times, the fact that there are only 2 single PG grade cabins means you are more than likely to be upgraded to the Queens Grill Rest & get a much better cabin.

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

Thanks very much RJMS74 and everyone else. No. I'm not on a 2006 sailing. I'm doing an early booking for a 2007 world cruise segment because it's so difficult to get a single. I did call Cunard and change to PG class so this board was very helpful to me.

Congratulations rm fish on your choice. I agree with other's who enjoy QE2 - go for PG. You could be assigned Princess OR Brittania Grill with a PG stateroom. I would request a large table in Princess Grill dining room - it's a far prettier room and if Andrew Nelder is the Maitre'd when you sail, you couldn't be in a better dining room. His long time Asst Maitre'd, Jimmy Murray, recently took over as Maitre'd in Brittania so look for good changes there but personally I don't think the room is attractive. Access to the Queens Grill Lounge is a big plus for a PG stateroom vs Caronia. It's a great place any time of the day or night to get away from noisy public rooms, to meet other passengers, and for pre dinner drinks before you go to your dining room. Hope you love QE2 as much as we do!

Where is the food prepared for the Princess Grill or Britannia Grill. Is it from the same kitchen as the Mauretania and Caronia Restaurants or is it from the Queens Grill kitchen?

I have heard in the past that it's from the Caronia kitchen and, no, it's from the Queens Grill kitchen. Which is now correct?

Where is the food prepared for the Princess Grill or Britannia Grill. Is it from the same kitchen as the Mauretania and Caronia Restaurants or is it from the Queens Grill kitchen?

I've believe Princess and Britannia Grill food comes from the Caronia galley. This certainly is logical as they are of course adjacent to this galley whereas the Queens Grill galley is on Boat Deck, two decks above the Princess and Britannia Grills on Quarter Deck.

Mauretania has its own galley, separate from Caronia's. Originally, all three restaurants, Britannia (now Mauretania), Columbia (now Caronia), and the Grill Room (now Princess Grill) shared one galley, now the Caronia/Princess Grill/Britannia Grill galley. In 1972 Tables of the World (former Britannia, now Mauretania) got a new galley directly forward of the restaurant on Upper Deck, encompassing the Lookout Bar as well as space newly created by the box-like extension to Quarter Deck and Upper Deck placed on the foredeck.

In the same 1972 refit, the Queens Grill was created on Boat Deck from the old 736 Club. Directly aft of the 736 Club/Queens Grill, the centre portion of the Coffee Shop as well as the adjacent forwardmost portion of the London Arcade became the Queens Grill galley. The starboardmost portion of the Coffee Shop as well as the Juke Box became the Queens Grill Lounge.

So I believe the Queens Grill has always had its own galley but the Princess and Britannia Grills have always shared the same galley as the adjacent main restaurant on Quarter Deck (Columbia 1969-1994, Mauretania 1994-1996, Caronia 1996-present). It is possible though that a separate section of this galley is used for preparing the food for the Grills - I have seen similar arrangements on other ships where, for instance, a main galley is shared between passenger and crew dining rooms, or where an alternative restaurant and a main dining room share a galley.

Archived