Hotels in San Juan for pre-cruise

GCBCKat57

Would love to hear from those who booked a hotel pre-cruise in San Juan. Heading out on the Serenade in April and want to book soon. I'd like to know where you stayed and what you liked/did not like about your hotel. Would you stay there again, or have you heard about a better choice since then?

I don't want to spend a fortune, but I don't mind paying $200 or less (okay...less) for a room. I'd like to be close to the pier if possible. Thanks in advance for sharing your expertise:D

Just returned from 3 day/2 night precruise and 11/26 Serenade cruise.

We chose to stay at the El Convento (Puerto Ricos only 5 star) and absolutely loved it.

Booked one night thru RCI $266.00 per night - then decided to go down another day earlier and no rooms available thru RCI (it was Thanksgiving) so paid $285.00. Both nights high due to being in the high season. Not sure exactly when high season stops and low season starts - check it out.

HOWEVER, if you go to their website www.elconvento.com they have a pre/post cruise special (online only) but you must stay 2 nights to qualify.

This hotel was originally built as a Carmelite convent in 1650's. Is located in the heart of Old San Juan and is charming. Interior courtyard holds a 354 year old picoteo tree. There is nothing I did not like and we will definately stay here again, just remember what your Momma always told you " You get what you pay for" and San Juan is not known for its cheap hotel prices....

Everything is close and within walking distance and service was impeccable.

Whatever you decide - you will love San Juan. The tiny cobblestone streets and architecture are wonderful. Such presence and history. I fell in love with it.

DO NOT MISS LA BOMBONERA. It is a 100 yr old bakery/cafe on Calle San Fransisco. Try any of the pastries but do not miss the Mallorcas ! YUM

Nice cheap breakfast and a feel for the real San Juan as all the locals go there.

Have a great trip

Texancruzer is on the money. The El Convento is unique. Each room is different, and furnished with unique furniture. The breakfast is wonderful and presented in a courtyard interior to the Hotel. The Tapas is great. And, there is a restaurant nearby, Baru, that is a MUST DO place.

The hotel is at one end of all the shopping so you will probably walk a little, but the location is fantastic for all the churches and government sites, El Moro and the other attractions in the area. It would be my pick. My advice is to call the hotel for rates as they may have some "specials" for you.

We stayed at the Milano hotel in Old San Juan and would not do it again. I did like it being in Old San Juan and it was nice clean room and the workers were very friendly but we had a room in the front of the hotel and if you want a good night sleep you will not get one. About 10:00pm till about 3am people will party down in the street. It was very loud with music, horns honking, noisy people, sirens, etc. My daughter finally was so irritated she went and took a tylenol pm to be able to sleep.

Also, I like a hotel with a pool and on the beach.

WOW! I hope we don't experience what you did! We booked it for one night pre-cruise Jan. 13 based on reviews on tripadvisor.com. Right now it is ranked second favorite hotel out of 56 San Juan Hotels by the reviews on that website - only El Convento is above it and very more expensive. We weren't looking for fancy - just location, clean and comfortable for one night.

I will report back when we return.

Kaye

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from our trip.

Stayed in Caribe Hilton 1 night pre-cruise. Nice hotel, beautiful grounds. Paid about $187 with tax - was it worth it? Not to me (but I just need a clean, safe bed and a shower without bugs). If you are going to spend a lot of time there, the grounds and swimming areas are beautiful so maybe it would be worth it to you. Lunch was about $20 for the buffet - food was good but nothing outstanding.

After the cruise, stayed at El Canario by the Lagoon ($108) - large room, clean, nothing fancy, decent continental breakfast, price included parking, safe area, friendly helpful front desk staff. Able to leave the luggage there for several hours before we went to the airport. 2 blocks from a nice beach, but the hotel didn't have a pool. Personally, I'd stay here and save the money. We just used the hotel as a place to sleep, shower, and store our luggage - this was just fine.

Hilton vs. Ramada Inn - what's your choice?

Archived