Oasis of the Seas - Sept 24-Oct 1 Review - BEST cruise EVER!

Cruise day 2 - Our Nassau Day

So we were originally supposed to have a sea day to start our trip, and with the hurricane adjustments, this sea day changed into a day in Nassau. Now, I know the Bahamas is very lovely, but I have little desire to go to Nassau anymore. We did review the ships shore excursions, and decided not to book anything. All we really wanted was a day at the beach or pool and I didn't want to pay the Atlantis pricing to get that. When we woke up, we looked out and saw the ocean breaking against the rocks in our view, and thought is still looked a little rough for a beach day. We decided to stay on the ship and make it a 4th sea day at the pool.

I think I made it clear that I don't like the windjammer for meals, so we went to Park Cafe for breakfast. I liked the size of that venue, and the options for breakfast were good choices. Then we made our way to the solarium. When I cruise, I like the peace and quiet and honestly, I have done my parenting time and really don't want to deal with other people's kids. I do love kids - they are great and fun. But I didn't bring any with me for a reason:)

I love the chairs in the solarium. Especially the pillowed two seater. I need to get one of those for home.

We spent the day (all day) at the solarium. Hubby brought me a hamburger from the windjammer. I read, I listened to music on my ipod. It was a perfectly spent day. Hubby went to the cabin for a nap at 2, and I met him at 4:30 to get ready for formal night.

My absolute favorite dessert on any cruise is the Grand Marnier Souffle. Royal served this during the first formal night. I think I convinced everyone at our table to try - and everyone loved it! If you haven't had this dessert, give it a try. It is light and a perfect finish to a meal. If Royal could just add this to the menu every night, I would be so so happy!

We had the aqua Theater show - Oasis of dreams booked for tonight. It was cancelled due to illness. They rebooked us automatically for the last night at 9:30.

cruise1.jpg.0b0dba0e16d279894de6e6fd02be21a3.jpg

1764386468_cruise2.jpg.b6172b34f41cbb678061e8448c17f5a2.jpg

cruise3.jpg.836cec2c3efdc89595094a50f8217d48.jpg

Cruise day 2 - Our Nassau Day

So we were originally supposed to have a sea day to start our trip, and with the hurricane adjustments, this sea day changed into a day in Nassau. Now, I know the Bahamas is very lovely, but I have little desire to go to Nassau anymore. We did review the ships shore excursions, and decided not to book anything. All we really wanted was a day at the beach or pool and I didn't want to pay the Atlantis pricing to get that. When we woke up, we looked out and saw the ocean breaking against the rocks in our view, and thought is still looked a little rough for a beach day. We decided to stay on the ship and make it a 4th sea day at the pool.

I think I made it clear that I don't like the windjammer for meals, so we went to Park Cafe for breakfast. I liked the size of that venue, and the options for breakfast were good choices. Then we made our way to the solarium. When I cruise, I like the peace and quiet and honestly, I have done my parenting time and really don't want to deal with other people's kids. I do love kids - they are great and fun. But I didn't bring any with me for a reason:)

I love the chairs in the solarium. Especially the pillowed two seater. I need to get one of those for home.

We spent the day (all day) at the solarium. Hubby brought me a hamburger from the windjammer. I read, I listened to music on my ipod. It was a perfectly spent day. Hubby went to the cabin for a nap at 2, and I met him at 4:30 to get ready for formal night.

My absolute favorite dessert on any cruise is the Grand Marnier Souffle. Royal served this during the first formal night. I think I convinced everyone at our table to try - and everyone loved it! If you haven't had this dessert, give it a try. It is light and a perfect finish to a meal. If Royal could just add this to the menu every night, I would be so so happy!

We had the aqua Theater show - Oasis of dreams booked for tonight. It was cancelled due to illness. They rebooked us automatically for the last night at 9:30.

The grand mariner soufflé is my favorite too!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What night is the other formal night? Leaving this Sunday!!

On our cruise it was night 2 (Monday) and night 6 (Friday). When I was doing my research I had thought it was going to be night 2 and night 5. We did end up having to rejuggle our chef's table reservation because that was different.

Day 3 was our first "scheduled" sea day, and I will admit that knowing I wanted to get chairs by the pool I was a bit panicked about getting up early. However after a few cosmos and several glasses of wine the night before, early was sort of a relative thing! My hubby and I got up about 8:45 and were in pool chairs in the solarium by 9. I didn't venture out from the solarium at all, so I cannot say how quickly the pool area filled up. But there was a steady flow of people in and out of the solarium and always at least a handful of chairs available. I know there is an upper level of the solarium, but I never went up there. Once I have a pool chair, I tend to stick.

We didn't have breakfast, but honestly, the solarium bistro suited our needs quite well. It was great to run in there for a glass of water throughout the day. We also ate lunch in the solarium bistro. Hubby decided he liked going there over going to the windjammer.

For dinner that evening, we had early reservations at Izumi. Have certainly eaten at my share of Hibachi restaurants, and this was certainly as good as the ones on land. We had a great chef, but it was a bit of a let down to have very few sake options within a reasonable price. The one that was reasonable, was unavailable. This left the more expensive options, and so we went without. We did try their California sushi roll and it was good. If I had the choice to eat here on another ship, I would likely do something different. Its basically how I felt about Sabor when I tried it last year. There are options on land that are just as good or better at a lower price, so I would try something else instead.

We did have the adult comedy booked for 10:30 tonight, so we spent some time riding the Rising Tides bar. It was fun, but really, nothing I care to do every day. After the rising tides, we heard Michael Jackson music coming from the Schooner bar so we joined the fun there for the trivia contest. My sister and I know MJ music, so we nailed that trivia contest, made some new friends and had a lot of laughs. We did spend our time in the rising tides bar looking up beaches for the next day's stop in Cozumel. This wasn't a planned stop in our itinerary originally, and I have been there 15 times. I didn't want another "sea" day, so we decided to take a taxi to Skyreef. For $15 per person, it was a beach day, snorkeling equipment, 1 drink and 5 minute massage. Price was very reasonable and it seemed like a quiet place. More on that later:)

The adult only comedy was fine, but not amazing. The 2nd comedian was far better than the first. The first one told a joke that we actually have used in our family for years. We later did see him and delivered the line to him the way our family does it, and he laughed and laughed. He said our delivery was better and asked if he could use it. Good to know our family sarcasm comes in handy.

Day - 4 - Cozumel again.

Originally, we booked an eastern cruise, but Irma and Maria were sure to change our plans. We had initially been scheduled to be in St Maarten on day 4. Just after Irma, we got text messages moving us to St Kitts. Okay- perfect. We cancelled our St Maarten plan with Captain Alan, and adjusted to St Kitts. We made a plan to go to Discovery Beach Bar and Grill South Friars. We were pretty excited to do this. Then Maria adjusted all of our plans. On Thursday, September 21, I just assumed maybe we would have a day at sea or shift slightly west to Jamaica. Instead, the entire itinerary shifted fully west to Mexico. I didn't have my normal port research time, so I decided this was just going to be a go with the flow kind of cruise. Whatever happened, happened!

We decided to order breakfast for room delivery and ate on our balcony. Breakfast was quite well done, and we enjoyed the view. It was delivered on time, hot, and I didn't mind paying the service charge when everything was perfect. We met our group at 9:45 and headed off the ship a few minutes later. We caught a taxi and were charged $26 for a group of 8 people to go to Skyreef Beach.

The beach was small, with a very quaint restaurant, but it was a lovely place. Its not a sandy beach, but a bit rocky and there is a dock to enter into the water. I do not snorkel, but the rest of our group enjoyed their time snorkeling. The water was calm and clear and the further out our group went, the more fish were seen. The group reported back that it was quite nice for snorkeling. We paid $15 per person. That fee included chairs, snorkeling equipment, one drink, tequila tasting and a 5 minute massage. We thought the price was very reasonable. It was a quiet beach, but later in the day, Skyreef did get crowded with cruise tours stopping in. We had a nice lunch of tacos and nachos, several great margaritas and it was a very relaxing day. We left around 2 to head back and stopped and did a bit of shopping near the terminal.

Hubby and I had made plans to eat at 150 Central Park for dinner that evening away from our group. We were anxious to try the new to us restaurant. For those who don't know, this restaurant is a product of Chef Michael Schwartz from Miami. The food was quite good and it was a nice change from Chops which we have eaten at before. We started the meal with a salt tasting. There are several varieties of salt provided and with some bread and butter you could taste the smoky flavor of the smoked salt. It was a nice change from just bread and butter. We both had the lobster gnocchi. I could have seriously just had this as a main entree instead of an appetizer. It was incredibly delicious. I love gnocchi, and the lobster just elevated this. We also both had the beef tenderloin with a red wine reduction. For dessert, my husband had the chocolate bourbon tart. He said it was incredible. I had the sugared donuts with a lemon sauce. It was a nice light touch for me at the end of the meal.

cruise1.jpg.1f3de0a945d7cdb6677c8479d204ef52.jpg

cruise2.jpg.40fc07682973a5fde15bd4c62b818765.jpg

cruise3.jpg.5c69df03f0ca5d2a09605ce20ad41893.jpg

cruise4.jpg.9f3f068acf26f4281a1b3f9078c34c93.jpg

cruise5.jpg.787e2b452cfe378a4bd70387dbec1872.jpg

Day - 4 - Cozumel again.

Originally, we booked an eastern cruise, but Irma and Maria were sure to change our plans. We had initially been scheduled to be in St Maarten on day 4. Just after Irma, we got text messages moving us to St Kitts. Okay- perfect. We cancelled our St Maarten plan with Captain Alan, and adjusted to St Kitts. We made a plan to go to Discovery Beach Bar and Grill South Friars. We were pretty excited to do this. Then Maria adjusted all of our plans. On Thursday, September 21, I just assumed maybe we would have a day at sea or shift slightly west to Jamaica. Instead, the entire itinerary shifted fully west to Mexico. I didn't have my normal port research time, so I decided this was just going to be a go with the flow kind of cruise. Whatever happened, happened!

We decided to order breakfast for room delivery and ate on our balcony. Breakfast was quite well done, and we enjoyed the view. It was delivered on time, hot, and I didn't mind paying the service charge when everything was perfect. We met our group at 9:45 and headed off the ship a few minutes later. We caught a taxi and were charged $26 for a group of 8 people to go to Skyreef Beach.

The beach was small, with a very quaint restaurant, but it was a lovely place. Its not a sandy beach, but a bit rocky and there is a dock to enter into the water. I do not snorkel, but the rest of our group enjoyed their time snorkeling. The water was calm and clear and the further out our group went, the more fish were seen. The group reported back that it was quite nice for snorkeling. We paid $15 per person. That fee included chairs, snorkeling equipment, one drink, tequila tasting and a 5 minute massage. We thought the price was very reasonable. It was a quiet beach, but later in the day, Skyreef did get crowded with cruise tours stopping in. We had a nice lunch of tacos and nachos, several great margaritas and it was a very relaxing day. We left around 2 to head back and stopped and did a bit of shopping near the terminal.

Hubby and I had made plans to eat at 150 Central Park for dinner that evening away from our group. We were anxious to try the new to us restaurant. For those who don't know, this restaurant is a product of Chef Michael Schwartz from Miami. The food was quite good and it was a nice change from Chops which we have eaten at before. We started the meal with a salt tasting. There are several varieties of salt provided and with some bread and butter you could taste the smoky flavor of the smoked salt. It was a nice change from just bread and butter. We both had the lobster gnocchi. I could have seriously just had this as a main entree instead of an appetizer. It was incredibly delicious. I love gnocchi, and the lobster just elevated this. We also both had the beef tenderloin with a red wine reduction. For dessert, my husband had the chocolate bourbon tart. He said it was incredible. I had the sugared donuts with a lemon sauce. It was a nice light touch for me at the end of the meal.

Thanks for reviewing Skyreef! We are on the Oasis in a few weeks with the same itinerary change. I'm determined to make the best of it, but a bit bummed as this is our first cruise. Cannot decide if we should do anything in Nassau because we wanted to go to Blue Lagoon, but Royal is not offering that excursion the day we are there. Maybe it's already full?

Anyway, Skyreef is our plan for Cozumel and looks wonderful. I look forward to reading about your time in Costa Maya!

I want to mention a few things about the ship as notes for those going. I was a bit nervous going into this cruise because we had booked a boardwalk balcony. I had read there were issues with warm rooms, and I cannot handle a warm room. I envisioned myself lying in a pool of sweat dying and not getting any sleep.

I don't know if this is true, but I think you have to keep the master light switch turned on and keep the balcony door latched. We had no issues with temperature in our cabin. But the elevators were hot, as were the lobby areas near the elevator and stairs. I don't know why, but there was a marked temperature difference in those areas of the ship.

I loved the new bathroom layout and size. Especially the addition of the bar in the shower for women to put their legs on for shaving. The shower size was perfect.

I always complain about lack of plugs, but I liked the plug options. I do wish there was one near a nightstand. But we had a power cube plug and this works perfectly. I was able to use for hairdryer, curling iron, and phone/ipad charging. It suited the 2 of us well for charging. Here is the link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012TL0DWM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had a small portable speaker and it was great for music in the cabin as well as on the balcony. We prefer music over tv when getting ready. This speaker has good sound and packs perfectly in a corner of a suitcase. I also use it at home in my bedroom. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HTH8F3K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A note about my time dining. We loved our wait staff. However I felt like the process for my time dining with a reservation was cumbersome. We waited about 5 - 15 minutes each night for our table. On one night, we couldn't eat with our waiter because his previous table got their quite late. We had a reservation each night that was made online so I don't understand why it was an issue. When I have done my time dining in the past, I have never waited more than a few minutes for a table and I have always had the same wait staff for the entire cruise. In those situations I have also reserved online. It felt like the dining room waiting for my time dining was just too small, or there wasn't an efficient system for managing these issues. This hasn't been my experience on Liberty or Freedom on my last few cruises. I recognize I had a larger group on this ship vs the past so that could have been a factor but the system seemed quite chaotic.

Pool chair hogs - I know I know, its an over done subject. But I only saw an issue with this once. That said, I only sat in the solarium, so maybe there are larger issues in the other ship areas. I arrived on Friday morning to my pool chair at 9am. On the 2 chairs next to me, there were towels, a travel pillow and two bags. No shoes. At 2pm the woman who had reserved the chairs earlier than 9am showed up. I was shocked to see this sit all day. I would have said something to a pool attendant, but I never saw anyone come by me in the solarium who wasn't a bar waiter. I so wanted to flame this person for reserving the chairs for over 5 hours before showing up, but I didn't. And since no one at RCL seemed concerned about that pool area, I let it go. Until now, when I just say how really rude that was. And of course, she was reserving 2 chairs, but she was only one person. What nerve some people have.

I spent zero time in any of the shops on the ship. I hated to see a Michael Kors, Kate Spade etc and while I do shop those brands at home, saw zero need for that to be on the ship. Its a bit much with the shopping mall feel on this ship, and while that won't stop me from going on a ship like this in the future, I will likely avoid the mall area in favor of other ship features. And let me say - I really am a shopper. I shop quite frequently. One of my favorite activiites is to shop! My husband would say this was the best vacation ever because I didn't shop! I say it was still just as expensive because we drank our shopping money!

We spent our bar or relaxation time in a few main areas of the ship. The Diamond lounge was convenient for us as it was just down at the end of the hall from our cabin. We met our group for pre dinner drinks at the champagne lounge on deck 5. Some nights we danced in the night club - Blaze and had drinks there. We attended 2 wine tastings at Vintages and did find those to be of a bigger value than others in the past. We have found on Liberty and Freedom that we spend more time at Vintages, and this time with it being in Central Park, we didn't find our selves there. We did ride the rising tides bar once at it was okay. Nothing special.

The cabins were ready at 1 as my hubby was off to find ours and sent photos right away. We had no luggage issues either. I was fully unpacked just before getting ready for dinner.

No surge protection and it comes with European and Asian plug for the power as well. Our daughter is going to London next money and she will take it with her. Our cabin steward never said anything about the cube plug. We did unplug it when nothing was charging but left if sitting on the vanity counter. I know he would have seen items plugged into it. I would normally charge my iPad while we were at dinner.

Funny thing, I don’t know why people don’t read the list of approved items. When we disembarked I saw the table of items taken away: a full size iron (not travel), and a regular sized blender, and a full pot coffee maker. Really?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Day - I can't remember, but I know this is the day we went to Costa Maya. I have been to Costa Maya only one time before, and this is a tough port for me to wrap my brain around. It literally was a port built for cruise ships and to find a way to keep tourist dollars in that area. We were here on Thursday, September 28. It was hot. Let me tell you so hot!

We didn't want to do a ruins tour as we had done one the other time we were in Costa Maya. Its nice, but honestly, I knew the heat would get to me too! We decided to book an excursion through the cruise, the Jungle Beach Break. I think it was $49 per person. It really wasn't in a jungle just FYI. We ordered room service for breakfast and had a completely opposite experience to our day before wonderful experience. My only annoyance about the itinerary change stemmed from having to spend more money than I planned on things to do. With the original itinerary, I was able to book tours through RCL via sales online before the trip. While I did get my money back as onboard credit, I now had to pay full price for tours. It would have been nice if there was a way to honor discounts for those who had them previously.

We were off the ship by 8:20 for the walk to the bus area. Costa Maya has really spent some money building out that port area. Looks very much like Cozumel though.

We met the tour person, were given wristbands and a voucher for a cab ride back to the ship. We got on a very nicely air conditioned bus, and it was roughly a 10 minute bus ride to the beach. Now this was an all inclusive drinking package day as well, and there were beach chairs. Though when we went to sit in a group of beach chairs, we were told by a woman these chairs were for hotel guests only. So we had to walk much further down the beach.

All inclusive drinks sounds lovely, but while we certainly drink, I am not much of an outside beach drinker. I prefer to stay hydrated in the heat with bottled water. The drinks were basically water anyway unless you ordered a beer.

The water was very lovely, the beach safe, and not a ton of people wandering the beach trying to sell things. Now if you wandered off the beach to the "boardwalk" area - then that was not the case. Staying in our beach chairs, we had a great waiter who brought drinks about every 15 minutes, whether we asked for them or not. Since we were ordering frozen concoctions, it was completely fine. the water was a great temperature, and this is a sandy beach. There were people out snorkeling, riding banana boats, and fishing off in this area. There were 3 cruise ships in port, us, Carnival Magic (I think) and an MSC ship.

We had arrived at the beach just after 9, and left around 1:30 to head back to the port area. The cab ride back was fine, and it didn't cost anything but a tip. We gave the driver the voucher. We wandered the port shops for about 15 minutes. They have tried to have some cute shops - like a bakery and apothecary looking bar. Then there was the crazy pool area and a swim with the dolphins pool. It certainly is a lot for just the pier area.

We walked back to the ship and I really at that point just wanted a shower and a quiet cool place to relax and read. Hubby wanted a nap. We both got our way and I sat near the Starbucks on Deck 5 with a coffee and water and my book.

Now this was going to be a pretty fun evening, so I knew we needed to rehydrate! My next post - all about Chef's Table with pictures!!!!

cruise1.jpg.421e5947ce76fa10b5e728ae6bdd917a.jpg

cruise2.jpg.ce2e5cda3a4ed89aa9fb843f3a3c7c51.jpg

cruise3.jpg.5c530aed00459f52cda08a7a86ca0891.jpg

About CHEF's TABLE!

I have done one other Chef's table - on Carnival several years ago. What I liked about the Carnival Chefs Table - they give you a tour of the galley and your appetizers are served in the galley. You get to meet several chef's and have a chance to talk to kitchen crew to thank them. What I didn't like was there was no flavor pairing with drinks - just a red or white wine, and it was beyond a ton of food. It felt as though food was just being served because they had to meet a quota of 13 courses. It was certainly entertaining, and very personal regardless and I will do a chef's table on ship or land again.

Royal's Chef's Table on Oasis was much different that the one on Carnival but a wonderful dinner with lots of thought and wonderful execution by the staff. There were 13 people at our Chef's table and the evening began at 6:30. We met as a group in the Pinnacle/Suite club area. Each of us were served a glass of champagne to start, and then seated personally by the head waiter. He introduced himself and our chef. He described the what to expect and asked us to review our menu for our entree choices There was a choice of three options, a fish, steak and pasta option. What I loved about the menu for the evening was it didn't seem overwhelming at a total of 5 courses, and each course was paired specifically for wine or other alcohol. The cost of the Chef's table was $95 per person, and we did leave a tip as well. It was certainly a well worth it experience.

First Chef's Table Course and Wine Pairing.

Scallop Carpaccio with a yuzu vinagrette and crispy quinoa

Wine Pairing was Les Tuillers Sancerre 2016. This wine is a french wine. It paired perfectly with the scallops and enhanced the flavor greatly.

I absolutely could eat this every single night. It was such a light and flavorful dish.

https://www.forever.com/app/users/8f9cd8e4-0909-490b-8cf8-ae5f8aa0a0d4/files/9499e242-d9c6-41ac-9d16-9f7646d9ee11/f2nl5z8jfxq04cdy0qe3mpdeo

https://www.forever.com/app/users/8f9cd8e4-0909-490b-8cf8-ae5f8aa0a0d4/files/de562bee-805e-45d0-9851-5c9d4229eb95/bbep0dsx72bn3ryjtnw5g9kw5

Edited by createmem
photos didnt come through

Ok I have been a bit annoyed through this whole review because of the photos not being embedded as a part of the post. I have done it before and have no clue what I am doing wrong. So I decided to try the photos of chefs table again. Here is the scallop carpaccio along with the bottle of wine that was served with that course. 3e7446eb9165a5502bfd93bec726c7ed.jpga02b164f8ec950a0ba459b39e021f793.jpg

Great Review!

We are cruising The Oasis Nov.12 for the first time.

I usually tend to like the smaller ships but my husband really wants to try this one.

Your review is making me get excited for the Oasis- thanks:D

I'm on the same sailing!

Can't wait!

You will have a great time on Oasis! We miss her so much. Tonight we got together with our friends from the cruise for a Halloween party. We are all still going through withdrawals!

Our next course at chefs table was the soup. We had a smoked tomato soup with garlic focaccia croutons and Parmesan. The soup was paired with the 2015 Mer Soleil Chardonnay. This is from Santa Lucia Highland California.

The tomato soup was simply the best tomato soup I have even had. The smoked tomato flavor brought so much to the dish. It was not chunky at all, but a nice thick consistency. This wine became my favorite Chardonnay ever. So smooth and paired brilliantly with the soup. We ended up have more of this wine in vintage and chops. I have now also ordered this wine from the winery I should have it soon. It prices at $32 a bottle when ordering online, but the ship did sell this by the glass for $18. That’s a serious Markup. We used our buy one get one coupons for this!

442c9318cd3a138e8652fb904292886b.jpg

0556cc485449279b41ce7b730e5abb19.jpg

Our next course was the salad course. The salad was a Maine Lobster Salad with hearts of palm, pineapple, cilantro and a vanilla dressing. This was served with a 2015 William Fevre Chablis from Burgundy France.

b626dd43d32691a3052e9451303c5012.jpg

Now anyone can win me with lobster. We go to Bar Harbor Maine every couple of years to visit my in laws and I live on lobster. This was such a Light and perfect salad. The vanilla dressing was brilliantly paired against the cilantro and I could use this dressing on everything.

The Chablis was fresh and crisp against the lobster. Citrus and fruit flavors against a light oak. This is the perfect summer wine to me. 71de6553b722b8c8f346ea6078c4ea21.jpg

Our entree. As I said, we had a choice of fish, steak or pasta. Being a Nebraska girl. I’m going to have steak if it’s a good quality piece of meat. Since we live in steak country, we can get excellent cuts inexpensively at our local grocery store. The steak we had a 150 Central Park was excellent so I assumed this one would be. My husband and I both had the steak.

It was a grilled filet mignon with a truffle potato purée, asparagus and a bordelaise sauce. The wine pairing was a 2014 Honig Cabernet Sauvignon from Napa.

The steak was excellent and chef prepared my medium perfectly. The potato purée was a huge favorite of mine. The asparagus had a lovely crunch.

81beed04b56ff71e7e12f05cd37cd70f.jpg

The wine had berry and plum notes. I will admit that by this point, I couldn’t finish the whole glass, though it was quite good. Royal does chefs table quite well and the wine pairings were perfect and generous. Food was well spaced as well!

62031f3981bbd29784bfebf0ad539c67.jpg

Up next - dessert. As soon as I figure out how to post the dessert video -yea it’s that cool!