Not Unexpected...Lawsuit

Local News Channel, WTNH in New Haven is reporting that the Smith family is suing RCI in the disappearance of their son...

"(Stamford-AP, Dec. 7, 2005 4:50 PM) _ The family of a Connecticut man who disappeared from a cruise ship during his honeymoon plans to sue the cruise operator.

An attorney for the family says the suit will accuse Royal Caribbean of trying to cover up the incident and failing to ensure passenger safety.

George Allen Smith the Fourth of Greenwich vanished July 5th from a Royal Caribbean ship in the Mediterranean between Greece and Turkey.

The F-B-I has been investigating, but no one has been charged and no body has been recovered.

Miami attorney Brett Rivkind says the Smith family feels strongly that there was foul play involved.

Authorities have called Smith's disappearance suspicious. Blood stains were found near his cabin and a hand print was discovered on the side of the ship.

Royal Caribbean officials say passenger safety is the company's top priority.

Connecticut Congressman Christopher Shays is holding congressional hearings on the cruise industry next week. "

Yeah, and I'm sure it was RCI's fault, that they were all drunk out of their skulls......given the information that has been released, and unless there is more to the story than they are telling the public, I fail to see how this is RCI's fault.....but as you said, not totally unexpected. It's possible I suppose, that they are also doing this so that they can get at ALL the info that the FBI has as well.....should be interesting.

We all may as well go ahead and empty out our pockets. If RCI is forced to pay a settlement, WE pay. While I feel bad for his family, why should I have to compensate (either through falling stock price or increased cruise rates) for his drunken behavior?? Because that's the bottom line IMHO - he got waaaayyyy drunk - and now we have to pay for his wife to live comfortably ever after.

Actually, I sure litigation and settlement expenses are built into RCI's operating budget. And if RCI is found to be at fault, which I doubt, then the decision will be appealed and any award will likely be reduced. In addition, "supply and demand" works whether ot not RCI has to pay or not. They wont be able to maintain their customer base if they raise fares much above the competition for an equivalent product.

There have been other similar lawsuits in the past against many different cruise lines. And to my recollection, I don't recall any significant settlements or even losses. Of course, there may have been "gag" agreements in place.

A women several years ago "mysteriously" disappeared of the Rhapsody, but I don't recall ever hearing about a huge settlement. Does anybody else?

Seems to me that this is a trial pushed by the tabloid/sensational tv media.

No one that I am aware of saw or heard anything substantive yet all of the talking heads have solved the crime already and are screaming cover up.

Chris Shays - needing a break from the war in Iraq and desirous of wasting more taxpayer dollars - and since Greenwich is in CT decides he needs to hold hearings on behalf of a consitiutant

I'd would be nice to know what happened. I doubt either way it was RCI's fault. Yes, it probably was foul play, but RCI is not a police force.

Shays better watch out, he's most likely going to lose his seat next year. Conservative in liberal CT....cya!

"(Stamford-AP, Dec. 7, 2005 4:50 PM) _ The family of a Connecticut man who disappeared from a cruise ship during his honeymoon plans to sue the cruise operator.

An attorney for the family says the suit will accuse Royal Caribbean of trying to cover up the incident and failing to ensure passenger safety.

It seems to me that the wife is the one who failed to report him missing for a long time period? Got up, dressed, left and not a word to anyone for many, many hours. Fishy in my book. They were adults who flashed money, partied to hard and too long according to witnesses..

It seems to me that the wife is the one who failed to report him missing for a long time period? Got up, dressed, left and not a word to anyone for many, many hours. Fishy in my book. They were adults who flashed money, partied to hard and too long according to witnesses..

Not only that but, from what I've seen/heard, I don't think she was even in the cabin that night. I htink she got up alright, from whatever cabin she was in, and went to the gym... Seems I heard she was in the same clothes as the night before when they found her........

Now it smells like a fish left out in the sun for a week. And RCCL is to blame? :rolleyes: If I were the wife, I would not want to be cross examined in an open courtroom.. Should be interesting to say the least.

I watched a Court TV show about this incident this past week. From what I saw on the show, these two were not exactly fine, upstanding citizens. The "friends" they made on board may have been even worse. At some point, people need to accept responsibility for their own actions and decisions and quit always blaming someone else.

Now it smells like a fish left out in the sun for a week. And RCCL is to blame? :rolleyes: If I were the wife, I would not want to be cross examined in an open courtroom.. Should be interesting to say the least.

She has "plausible deniability" - she blacked out from too much liquor. :rolleyes:

Actually, I sure litigation and settlement expenses are built into RCI's operating budget.

I'm sure it is too, but so what? At the end of the budget period if they come in under that budgeted amount then the difference goes right to the bottom line. Just because something is an item in the budget doesn't mean that management shouldn't fight tooth and nail to not spend it.

And I really don't know how they think the "cover up" claim will fly. According to all the reports I have seen, RCI was cleared to clean up, and whatnot by the Turkish police. Add to that, they released all of the tapes from the secutiry cameras too. Can't remember the actual number, but it was high, so I doubt they[RCI] are holding anything back.

Actually, I sure litigation and settlement expenses are built into RCI's operating budget. And if RCI is found to be at fault, which I doubt, then the decision will be appealed and any award will likely be reduced. In addition, "supply and demand" works whether ot not RCI has to pay or not. They wont be able to maintain their customer base if they raise fares much above the competition for an equivalent product.

Wouldn't the cruise lines also carry pretty hefty liability insurance? In the rare event that they should be held responsible for the death of the honeymooner, wouldn't their insurance pay the cost?

Wouldn't the cruise lines also carry pretty hefty liability insurance? In the rare event that they should be held responsible for the death of the honeymooner, wouldn't their insurance pay the cost?

Yes, but they don't want their insurance to have to pay out because then their insurance rates will go up.

I'd would be nice to know what happened. I doubt either way it was RCI's fault. Yes, it probably was foul play, but RCI is not a police force.

Shays better watch out, he's most likely going to lose his seat next year. Conservative in liberal CT....cya!

you'd be surprised, Connecticut is a lot more conservative than most think (I'm liberal in Connecticut, but thats besides the point), my town has always, until this year (which will probably state-wide play a role in making your prediction true in the end), been more conservative (registered voters). This year though Democrats have 20 more voters then Republicans (but most of our town, East Lyme by the way, is registered Independent)

Sorry for going off on a tangent

Lived in CT until '89. Back then the corrupt politicians, like former Bridgeport mayor John Mandanici eventually got voted out, not indicted and forced out. And death cases without bodies involved wood chippers, not cruise ships (my sister was the paralegal on his first trial, the one with the hung jury). The Jai Alai was fixed, the drinks at Ollie Papp's saloon were cheap because they were just laundering money through the bar anyway, and no one had caught on to Stew Leonard rigging the scales and registers to rip off his own customers. The only constant is that Trumbull High is still in the state football playoffs, just like when I went there.

Yeah, and I'm sure it was RCI's fault, that they were all drunk out of their skulls......given the information that has been released, and unless there is more to the story than they are telling the public, I fail to see how this is RCI's fault.....but as you said, not totally unexpected. It's possible I suppose, that they are also doing this so that they can get at ALL the info that the FBI has as well.....should be interesting.

Not saying RCCL is responsible for their drunken condition, but ... couldn't it be argued that they had a responsibility to stop serving them after it was obvious they had had one too many?

Land-based bars and restaurants will refuse service after the bartender feels a patron has had enough ... even if they have assurance that there is a designated (sober) driver available.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Not saying RCCL is responsible for their drunken condition, but ... couldn't it be argued that they had a responsibility to stop serving them after it was obvious they had had one too many?

Land-based bars and restaurants will refuse service after the bartender feels a patron has had enough ... even if they have assurance that there is a designated (sober) driver available.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I'm sure it could be, however, they may have brought their own liquor onboard as well. If that could be proven then that blows that idea. Not sure how they would prove it, maybe through witness testimony.....but you can bet if this law suit goes forward, they might be forced to cut people off in the future. And, they might also be forced to check thoroughly for smuggled liquor, and confiscate it if found. That means scanning all luggage, which will really slow things down.

I think if this lawsuit is successful, a lot of people will feel the impact of it.

How is RCCL supposed to "protect" a passenger who chooses to party with strangers, flashes his money around, buys them all drinks until they are all out of it, and then has them back to his cabin, willing or not. At the age of the missing man, he should have known when to quit and sober up, or be more careful..

Can a person drink himself into a stupor on a cruise ship? I have seen many of them on my cruises. Gosh, the 4 guys across the hall from us on a cruise had at least 10+ empty bottles outside their room every day when the cabin attendant cleaned it. :eek:

If you notice how many of the posts on here question the drinks. Can we smuggle, I can't wait to have a fruity whatever, what is a good drink to have as soon as I step on the ship and on and on. Most people like to drink on a cruise, myself included, but we don't do stupid things.

Are we all supposed to expect RCCL to post a guard with each of us from the moment we step on board a ship until we depart it so that we don't do anything foolish? People have to be their own keeper. Only kids can get babysat on board. Grown people are expected to know better.

At some point, people need to accept responsibility for their own actions and decisions and quit always blaming someone else.

I agree, but when is that point? 2010? 2026? 2050? 2100? 'Cause based on what I observe with my own eyes and ears, it ain't going to be 2005 or 2006.

And, they might also be forced to check thoroughly for smuggled liquor, and confiscate it if found. That means scanning all luggage, which will really slow things down.

It is my understanding that the cruise lines already do scan all the luggage. It is just that you don't see the checked luggage get scanned. Also, I believe the checked luggage is scanned by the porters, who are not cruise line employees.

Archived