Not Unexpected...Lawsuit

Bad things happen, we have the missing people sailing on RCI, we have Natalee Halaway, we have missing people every day in our own country. Most of those we are talking about involve alcohol. I am not a tee totaler by any stretch of the imagination, but we all know the minute you consume too much you loose your ability to think straight. That is when these horrible situations occur and it is only the fault of the person who let's it happen. Does this mean the ship, the police, whomever hold no responsibility what so ever? No. They could refuse to serve someone who is obviously blasted, they could pay more attention to what is going on around them, but we have to learn to take responsibilty for our actions. This starts at home. Parents have to allow thier kids to make mistakes and pay the consequences (spelling) so they will learn very early in life that the world does not revolve around them. I have thought from the very beginning that Mr Smith was accustom to doing about anything he wanted. This doesn't mean it isn't sad, but I am so tired of the word SUE!!!!! I am sure this will be settled out of court, the family will get a nice settlement and life will go on. NMnita

1. Which RCCL ship did the guy disappear from?

2. What was his cabin number

3. It does not surprise me that there is a lawsuit. I am sure that there were mistakes made whether intentional or unintentional by cruise line personnel and by local authorities...how often do you think they have a situation lik this?...not too often!:cool:

1. Which RCCL ship did the guy disappear from?

2. What was his cabin number

3. It does not surprise me that there is a lawsuit. I am sure that there were mistakes made whether intentional or unintentional by cruise line personnel and by local authorities...how often do you think they have a situation lik this?...not too often!:cool:

Brilliance, and I think the cabin was 9062, or 9060, can't remember...I'm thinking 9060 though...

1) For the case of paying, this more than likely would fall under a liablilty insurance that they have.

2) I have followed this story pretty carefully, 1) The blood stain has never publicly been linked to him, and 2) Neither has the handprint.

3) This story is full of HOLES! The wife seems nuts, the husband according to Several other passengers on board they interviewed was coo-coo for cocoa puffs, and constantly drunk.

I don't know, hard to say. Remember, just because they sue, It doesn't mean they win.

I don't think the Smith's are insinuating RCCL is responsible for what happened to their son (or how much anyone may have had to drink). My understanding is they feel RCCL hampered the investigation. I don't know the details enough to comment, but this is local news for me...never once have I seen the bride in news coverage. I think this is strange.

I am not an attorney, but I wonder what the jusrisdiction for this lawsuit will be?

I doubt it could be the US, as the only part of this that is under US jusrisdiction would be the person who went missing. RCCL is not a US company, and the alleged crime took place beyond US soil, and the ship didn't even dock at a US port right after the incident.

Maybe some lawyer could help explain........

I am not an attorney, but I wonder what the jusrisdiction for this lawsuit will be?

I doubt it could be the US, as the only part of this that is under US jusrisdiction would be the person who went missing. RCCL is not a US company, and the alleged crime took place beyond US soil, and the ship didn't even dock at a US port right after the incident.

I bet it will fall under USA because it is an American company. I am just guessing, I have no clue. NMnita

At first I thought it would have to be the infamous "Miami", due to the cruise contract. Then I thought that George's parents didn't sign a contract, so, it's anyone's guess.

I bet it will fall under USA because it is an American company. I am just guessing, I have no clue. NMnita

It´s not an American company.

While the Headquaters are in Miami the Company is incorporated in the Republic of Liberia.

1. Where is the Company incorporated?

The Company is incorporated in the Republic of Liberia.

I have followed the story with some interest, human interest.

From what I have gathered, Jenn, his wife, was totally cleared by the FBI, she hasn't spoken because the FBI asked her NOT to.

Same with George's family.

They stated that they were suing to get RCI to respond to them, they have never heard from them, not a note to say sorry about what happened, or anything. None of their questions were answered.

RCI was supposed to have painted over the blood stains that day of them being seen, which made it impossible to get a blood type, from what I have read.

It is also stated that George and his wife did not get drunk every night and were wild, that this was supposed to have been done by RCI to made him look bad.

Now, I don't know which side is telling the truth in that area, but I can understand the family wanting to get some questions answered

The law suit is to get public awareness that the cruiselines do not help after such an incident. They want the US to have more jurisdicition in such matters, that when a crime happens, the scene has to be roped off, and no one allowed to enter. RCI says they didn't clean up until after it was cleared, but others state that they cleaned the room as soon as they could.

Basically, many believe it was a crime, that his wife was not involved, that she most likely had been drugged with that illigal drink. That George allowed someone into his room, for whatever reason, and that he was robbed and tossed overboard.

It is sad for all sides, the wife, who is unable to talk to anyone, yet is blacklisted by people who do not know any facts, the family who has been quiet as asked by the FBI and has yet to get any answers to questions they have, and RCI for the bad publicity they have received over this.

Me, I find the reactions of everyone who discusses this interesting. A good view into human nature.

JLY

Archived