Another passenger overboard today?

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/F/FL_BAHAMAS_MISSING_WOMAN_FLOL-?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US

Coast Guard searches for woman missing from cruise ship

NASSAU, Bahamas (AP) -- A U.S. Coast Guard plane was searching Sunday for a Canadian woman who may have fallen overboard from a Florida-based cruise ship off the Bahamas, an official said.

Jill Begora, 59, was reported missing by her husband Saturday morning as the Royal Caribbean cruise ship Jewel of the Sea pulled into Nassau, the Bahamian capital, Coast Guard spokesman Dana Warr said.

The ship's crew searched the vessel for Begora before filing a missing person's report with the Coast Guard Saturday night, according to a Coast Guard statement.

"They did a full ship search and there was no evidence that she had left the ship in Nassau," leading authorities to believe she may have fallen overboard, Warr said.

A Coast Guard C-130 plane was conducting an overhead search about 25 miles northeast of Nassau, the area where the ship was when Begora was first reported missing, Warr said. A Coast Guard helicopter found no sign of the woman Saturday evening.

The cruise ship arrived early Sunday in Fort Lauderdale's Port Everglades, where Coast Guard officials conducted an onboard investigation, the Coast Guard said. The findings will be turned over to the FBI.

While tragic, this is begining to become all too common in my book....and I will never understand how someone "falls" overboard. Either they jumped, or they had help. To my knowledge, no ship has anyplace on an open deck where you can just "fall' over.

While tragic, this is begining to become all too common in my book....and I will never understand how someone "falls" overboard. Either they jumped, or they had help. To my knowledge, no ship has anyplace on an open deck where you can just "fall' over.

Yeah, these cases are just too strange for my liking. :(

Oh, also I heard it was the Jewel of the Seas.

Thank you for the link, sf2

I must agree with you Icorona4u it seems the best method because these cases are never solved.....its scary.:eek: I know I will never walk around deck after dark on my own ever again.

Honestly, I think these cases are more about the people with them, or the people they meet along the way, than strangers. I think people are safe on a cruise, just have to keep your wits about you at all times...which can be tricky if one drinks....

Jill Begora, 59, was reported missing by her husband Saturday morning as the Royal Caribbean cruise ship Jewel of the Sea pulled into Nassau, the Bahamian capital, Coast Guard spokesman Dana Warr said.

I wonder when he last saw her? Where was she Friday night into Saturday morning? Did she sleep in the stateroom, get up for breakfast and then disappear, or did DH discover that she never returned to the stateroom the night before? :eek:

My DH won't let me go ANYWHERE alone on a cruise ship. I used to think he was too protective.

I wonder why there are no video cameras watching the rails. Or are there?

Just got off of the Navigator and yes they have cameras all along the outer promenade deck. As a matter there are cameras all over the ship.

you guys are creeping me out. never thought I'd have to worry about murder on vaction....don't know whether it's denial or naivete... but I won't go wandering around late at night alone any more... I agree they're mostly suicides or murders by known people...but maybe not always

I am a young female and I have never felt scared to walk around alone on a cruise ship, day or night. I know this is frightful news, but nothing that should discourage someone from having fun on their cruise.. even going to get a cup of coffee at 11PM by yourself on deck. Its just an unfortunate occurance...not one that happens OFTEN.

I get more anxious and nervous when I am on the islands in other countries than on the ship. Maybe its just me.

I agree with you that it´s tragic and I can´t understand how someone can "fall" overboard too. I too think it´s either jumping or being thrown over board. Another scenario could be an "accident". What I mean is some stupid people trying to clim railings or balconies and falling down "accidently".

What I disagree about is that it "becomes all too common". Again while tragic I don´t think that it really happens very often.

How many cases are there per year?

Just take RCCL (RCI & Celebrity). They have according to their website app. 60590 passenger capacity.

That results in 3150680 passengers per year (on a basis of 7 day cruises - I know there are longer and shorter ones so it´s just app.)

I don´t think they have 1 person overboard a month but even then it would be 12 per year which would result in 0,0004% .

I think in every town with over 3 million citizens there are far more suicides & murders per year. Note that these numbers don´t even count the crew which is onboard the ships too and will raise the amount of people again.

My DH was on a ship (can't remember which line!) seven years ago for a work trip and someone on his ship (from his group) went into an area that was for ship personnel only (and was marked as such on the door he went through) and fell through an opening that was for the ships anchor to be lowered through. Lucky for him someone in the driving area (don't know what that place is called!) saw someone in this area where no one should be and sent someone to see who it was and what they were doing there. When the person got there, no one could be found. They did a check of the entire ship (making everyone return to their cabins and phoning those traveling alone) even though it was the middle of the night. They determined it was this person since he was sharing a cabin with his father and was the only passenger unaccounted for, and notified the Coast Guard with the spot they were when they think they last saw him. The ship turned around and ended up watching the Coast Guard helicopters rescue him from the water at sunrise the next morning. Lucky for him that ship personnel was watching!!! He said later that he 'didn't know he was in an unauthorized area' and that 'he leaned on this railing looking out in the water and the next thing he knew the railing gave way and he slid a long way into the water, hitting things along the way.' (That is not a direct quote by any means but the jist of the story that was told to my DH...He was the leader of this large group of people from his work and this was a guest (son) of an employee). Anyway, it CAN be an accident but if this person would have followed the sign on the door (and possibly the door was not shut properly if it were for ship personnel only...I never heard what happened with that) then this would not have happened. Make sure you stay out of areas you aren't supposed to be in!

In response to who commits these crimes at sea, it always seems to happen on the last day or two of the cruise, so I think it may be the waiters taking revenge on the poor tippers that they have waited on all week!!!

Seriously though, you just don't fall overboard on these ships. If that was the case, you would be hearing of little children being lost at sea on every cruise. These people are either jumping or being helped overboard.

I agree with you that it´s tragic and I can´t understand how someone can "fall" overboard too. I too think it´s either jumping or being thrown over board. Another scenario could be an "accident". What I mean is some stupid people trying to clim railings or balconies and falling down "accidently".

What I disagree about is that it "becomes all too common". Again while tragic I don´t think that it really happens very often.

How many cases are there per year?

Just take RCCL (RCI & Celebrity). They have according to their website app. 60590 passenger capacity.

That results in 3150680 passengers per year (on a basis of 7 day cruises - I know there are longer and shorter ones so it´s just app.)

I don´t think they have 1 person overboard a month but even then it would be 12 per year which would result in 0,0004% .

I think in every town with over 3 million citizens there are far more suicides & murders per year. Note that these numbers don´t even count the crew which is onboard the ships too and will raise the amount of people again.

I understand your point, but, to me, there have been many more "unsolved mysteries" happen to people while cruising in the last 2 years. Maybe I'm just paying more attention, or they are getting more media coverage, but they just seem to be accelerating....not good.

A year or two or three back a guy went overboard on a Carnival ship as it was nearing New Orleans. His was traveling alone and he went over in the early AM. He was also very drunk, which he says may have saved him because he was relaxed and did not panic. Anyway he wasn't missed until the ship docked in N.O.

I think he spent about 10 hours in the very warm gulf (lucky for him) Anyway, sad to say, but I think in the very few instances of folks going over, it happens late at night and they may have been drinking.

We leave in March and if things seem this easy to off someone, I guess I better be nice to the other half until we get back.

No sorry that was in bad taste, it is just hard to imagine someone falling off a ship. We we were on our Alaska cruise, the ship was moving all over the place. We were in the Crow's nest at the top of the ship one night, and as I was coming out of the bathroom, and older man asked me if I noticed his wife in the bathroom. I went back in and looked and she was not in there. He said her mind was going and I just freaked, the door going outside was right there and as I said the ship was terrible to even stand up in. I ran and got the group I was with to help this man look for his wife, we were all over, and then we looked in the corner of the bar and here she was just sitting there by herself in the corner, I have never been so happy for someone. This case turned out for the best, but I can see how it can happen.

Justwaiting

I think its a lot easier than you think to fall over board on any ship at sea. Alcohol, rain, wind, high seas, and people not aware of their surroundings. I've spent years at sea, with seasoned sailors and its not uncommon to go overboard. Whether your on a cruiseship or warship, if you are at sea, you need to be alert.

Archived