Viking team in San Juan Puerto Rico

Azulann

We will be there on the Sea 2/5/18. Can't wait!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It should be a great cruise. My heart goes out to the people of PR. I wonder how Viking will handle the tours. I’ve been there on multiple occasions and the mountain roads are in bad condition.

I have posted this also as a separate thread, but after reading this thread, I felt I should let you all know about our experience here! I have to say Viking does the ultimate to consider their passengers' experience!!!

We departed the Viking Sea on 10/27 at SJ and used Viking transfer (large coach) to airport. On the drive between Old San Juan to the airport, we observed (1) no stop lights in some areas, (2) power lines hanging down to the street, (3) bent-over power poles & street lights, (4) some damage to business & residential buildings, (5) lots of laundry hanging from balconies, (6) all TV satellite dishes intact, (6) piles of debris like tree branches & limbs & other materials. Heard that electricity is still very sporadic in that city.

The GOOD NEWS is that the airport is fully operational and comfortable temperatures. A sign at American Air check-in said airport operating on generators. Duty free, shops & restaurants all open.

However, airport was very very crowded. Many residents of Puerto Rico are leaving, mostly mothers & children & elderly. Seating at the gate areas very limited & there were people sitting all over the floor, and we heard some dogs barking incessantly.

We were so thankful we had booked 1st class (using our AA miles) for the flight out of SJ, which was more peaceful than coach section with lots of crying children!!

I am guessing that these "evacuation" conditions should be much less crazy come January or February.

While it was disappointing to be unable to go a day early, everything else was just fine. They continued the OSJ tours and I think one other paid excursion. Some excursions were cancelled. People were glad to see us. The day we arrived the cruise terminal did not have power (well, generator power I guess) but by the 2nd day we could see that it was on. It is a pretty basic facility anyway.