Catalonia Independence information

nolegirl01

If any protests are happening they havent been visible around Sagrada Familia or Glories. Its been the usual friendly Barcelona.

The only 'Free Catalonia' graffiti I've seen had been amended to 'Free Wifi'.

Wouldnt say there is any reason to even consider a shift in embarkation port at the moment.

I agree with you guys. Been in Barcelona since Thursday and all is normal. We went to Park Guell, Sagrada Família, Las Ramblas, Plaça Catalunya. It’s been a great time! All seems pretty much normal considering the fact. No need to worry!!!

We are in Barcelona now. We took the hop on hop off bus today to visit Sagrada Familia and Park Guelle. We were asked to get off our bus at one point and to proceed toward another bus stop and ended up very near demonstrations. We were finally able to find another bus to get on and proceed to Park Guell. We decided to take taxi back to hotel, since the bus stop near our hotel was not in use due to demonstrations. Other than the long bus tour as many streets blocked off, we felt safe and everyone seemed for most part peaceful. There were many police about, but saw no protesters near the tourist areas.

Sorry, I did not realize that it was so difficult to find! Yesterday, I just Googled Catalan News and there it was. Today, it can only be reached via Twitter. But, you found another report! Am I correct that you arrive 7 Nov.? i think I mentioned that I arrive 9 Nov. so let's hope we are not affected. Safe journey!

Sorry, I did not realize that it was so difficult to find! Yesterday, I just Googled Catalan News and there it was. Today, it can only be reached via Twitter. But, you found another report! Am I correct that you arrive 7 Nov.? i think I mentioned that I arrive 9 Nov. so let's hope we are not affected. Safe journey!

We arrive (I hope!) on 8th!. Typical.

Hi again!

To keep you all abreast of developments so you can better assess by yourselves what to do and thus make your own decisions:

Firstly to mention that this is an unusual situation we're in, with a hijacked government, a legitimately-elected Parliament that has been unlawfully disbanded and direct rule imposed upon Catalonia, therefore events unfold very (very!) quickly and not always follow "procedure" if you understand what I mean. So bear with me when I present this information, which is always subject to changes.

This next week, 6-12th Nov, has been labelled as "Week for Freedom" and there'll be significant events both in the political and the social arenas:

Tue 7th

Over 100 mayors of Catalan cities will go to Brussels to support the Catalan President exiled there. There might be impromptu support demonstrations in many towns and cities in Catalonia. In this country, demonstrations have to follow a protocol (by Law) by which they're announced X days in advance to the authorities and the place and itinerary are then negotiated. Being "impromptu" means they have not followed any protocol, just a bunch (which can range from hundreds to tens of thousands!) of people gathering to protest, thus details about where and when are not pre-announced but often viralised in the social networks, which means it can be anywhere. Having said this, they tend to be in emblematic places. These sort of demonstrations are normally in response to what's seen as "attacks of the Spanish apparatus towards Catalonia" and it's "the" way most Catalans have to protest (as opposed to using violence). In Barcelona, with over 1.6 million inhabitants, the pro-indy camp easily gathers tens of thousands in impromptu demonstrations, thus they tend to be held in important avenues/streets either in Ciutat Vella or in l'Eixample. Still, given the plans for the rest of the week, I do not forecast large gatherings (if any) on the 7th.

Wed 8th

Another general stoppage has been convoked, much like the one on Oct 3rd. For those not familiar: a general stoppage is a sort of joint decision by hundreds of thousands of individuals not to attend work (whether employed or self-employed) on a particular day and to gather in the streets in large demonstrations as a protest. Its results are indeed like a general strike so in practical terms it means a large portion of businesses will be closed. Note that not all of them though, that'll depend (a) on the pressure put by the corporations (especially large chains) onto their employees, especially those more vulnerable and (b) the precariousness of certain small (self-employed) businesses. This means there can be a few businesses open but I would think most of the tourist attractions won't. Obviously, hotels remain open and a few places to grab a bite too. Transportation will probably be affected but I can't still find info on where and when. Those arriving on that day need to understand they won't be stuck, but transportation will be reduced (limited), which means less frequent. Also, some stations (metro/train) in the centre, where the large demonstrations are likely to be held, might be closed to the public for security reasons (ie Passeig de Gràcia) as well as some streets/avenues that will also be closed to the traffic. As I've pointed in the past, this can be a bit of a nuisance for those arriving at their hotels in those areas, but by no means is a problem. If you have to access a hotel in an area where a demonstration is being held, simply be patient and walk thru -tip: take the sidewalk! There's no danger whatsoever from the citizens protesting and they will kindly let you pass without any problem.

Thu 9th

The representatives of the Catalan Parliament (sort of your House of Representatives), including the Speaker, have been summoned in Madrid in front of another kangaroo court and, much like in the previous summoning of the ministers of the Catalan government last week, they might also be imprisoned. If that happens, more impromptu demonstrations will occur, much like last Friday.

Sat 11th at 5pm

There'll be a large (very large!) demonstration in the centre of Barcelona. Details are being planned but I would expect to be around Passeig de Gràcia and Gran Via de Les Corts Catalanes. But again, at this point it's just my guessing.

Lastly, I shall repeat three things:

- Pro-indy demonstrations, while adamant, are ALWAYS peaceful, as violence is not in our DNA. Sadly I can't say the same for the other side, while most of the people supporting unity with Spain are regular peaceful folks, the level of tension (and even minor violent scuffles) in their demonstrations is well known and there have been already several "incidents" with far-right small fascists groups infiltrating these and causing, as I said, "scuffles" both against Catalan police but also against other citizens. While it's nothing to seriously worry about -at least for now- I strongly suggest keeping away from these demonstrators. Better be safe than sorry.

- General stoppages do not mean "everything is shut down". Basic services such transportation, hospitals, police, etc continue to provide service to the citizens, albeit in a reduced manner (ie transportation). It also means that while you can find open eateries and convenience shops scattered across the city, most others are closed. Same goes for attractions. And needless to say, hotels are open to receive guests... what would you want us to do? leave you stranded in the streets? what for?. General stoppages normally last 24h albeit there can be longer stoppages depending on the unfolding events.

- Visitors are not part of this, they(you) just happen to be visiting. There's no beef with anyone but the Spanish apparatus, so no one "targets" any visitors.

I am aware that other members of the forum might have other opinions, but, to be frank, I'm not posting for them, nor to start any debate or argument. As a resident and someone that tries to keep on top of this matter, I'm just posting to keep visitors abreast of events happening or about to happen and which can affect their travel plans. Period. I will be happy to answer any question regarding practicalities, but I won't enter into any political debate. Thank you for keeping off my back on that.

@Tothesunset... wow, I don't know but I wouldn't think so as flight controllers have their rights very restricted in this matter so I wouldn't expect them walking out. As per other airport employees, I would think there might be less staff but it won't grind the airport to a halt. Same goes for transportation. If anything, be flexible with your planning (and your schedules) as it can take longer than forecast to reach your hotel.

@Ontario Cruiser... very unlikely that the stoppage won't happen on that day.

PS: Again, sorry to be punctilious... it's a general stoppage, not a strike.

@Tothesunset... wow, I don't know but I wouldn't think so as flight controllers have their rights very restricted in this matter so I wouldn't expect them walking out. As per other airport employees, I would think there might be less staff but it won't grind the airport to a halt. Same goes for transportation. If anything, be flexible with your planning (and your schedules) as it can take longer than forecast to reach your hotel.

PS: Again, sorry to be punctilious... it's a general stoppage, not a strike.

Thanks again for your reply. I guess we will find out on the 8th but your comments on the airport are reassuring.

Thank you EnricM for all the useful information you provide. We are heading to Barcelona in a few weeks and look forward to your updates. Although we can find news about the situation in Catalonia on the internet, most of it is political. Therefore, we appreciate you taking the time and effort to keep us informed about topics that are especially relevant to tourists. Wishing you all the best.

Thanks so much for the update. We will be arriving on the 8th around 0900. We have a private shuttle to take us from the airport to the hotel. Do you think this will be impacted? Also, we were planning to take a taxi to the port on the 9th. Should we set up a shuttle to take us to the port or will things be back to normal after the outage?

Nancy

Hi again!

To keep you all abreast of developments so you can better assess by yourselves what to do and thus make your own decisions:

Firstly to mention that this is an unusual situation we're in, with a hijacked government, a legitimately-elected Parliament that has been unlawfully disbanded and direct rule imposed upon Catalonia, therefore events unfold very (very!) quickly and not always follow "procedure" if you understand what I mean. So bear with me when I present this information, which is always subject to changes.

This next week, 6-12th Nov, has been labelled as "Week for Freedom" and there'll be significant events both in the political and the social arenas:

Tue 7th

Over 100 mayors of Catalan cities will go to Brussels to support the Catalan President exiled there. There might be impromptu support demonstrations in many towns and cities in Catalonia. In this country, demonstrations have to follow a protocol (by Law) by which they're announced X days in advance to the authorities and the place and itinerary are then negotiated. Being "impromptu" means they have not followed any protocol, just a bunch (which can range from hundreds to tens of thousands!) of people gathering to protest, thus details about where and when are not pre-announced but often viralised in the social networks, which means it can be anywhere. Having said this, they tend to be in emblematic places. These sort of demonstrations are normally in response to what's seen as "attacks of the Spanish apparatus towards Catalonia" and it's "the" way most Catalans have to protest (as opposed to using violence). In Barcelona, with over 1.6 million inhabitants, the pro-indy camp easily gathers tens of thousands in impromptu demonstrations, thus they tend to be held in important avenues/streets either in Ciutat Vella or in l'Eixample. Still, given the plans for the rest of the week, I do not forecast large gatherings (if any) on the 7th.

Wed 8th

Another general stoppage has been convoked, much like the one on Oct 3rd. For those not familiar: a general stoppage is a sort of joint decision by hundreds of thousands of individuals not to attend work (whether employed or self-employed) on a particular day and to gather in the streets in large demonstrations as a protest. Its results are indeed like a general strike so in practical terms it means a large portion of businesses will be closed. Note that not all of them though, that'll depend (a) on the pressure put by the corporations (especially large chains) onto their employees, especially those more vulnerable and (b) the precariousness of certain small (self-employed) businesses. This means there can be a few businesses open but I would think most of the tourist attractions won't. Obviously, hotels remain open and a few places to grab a bite too. Transportation will probably be affected but I can't still find info on where and when. Those arriving on that day need to understand they won't be stuck, but transportation will be reduced (limited), which means less frequent. Also, some stations (metro/train) in the centre, where the large demonstrations are likely to be held, might be closed to the public for security reasons (ie Passeig de Gràcia) as well as some streets/avenues that will also be closed to the traffic. As I've pointed in the past, this can be a bit of a nuisance for those arriving at their hotels in those areas, but by no means is a problem. If you have to access a hotel in an area where a demonstration is being held, simply be patient and walk thru -tip: take the sidewalk! There's no danger whatsoever from the citizens protesting and they will kindly let you pass without any problem.

Thu 9th

The representatives of the Catalan Parliament (sort of your House of Representatives), including the Speaker, have been summoned in Madrid in front of another kangaroo court and, much like in the previous summoning of the ministers of the Catalan government last week, they might also be imprisoned. If that happens, more impromptu demonstrations will occur, much like last Friday.

Sat 11th at 5pm

There'll be a large (very large!) demonstration in the centre of Barcelona. Details are being planned but I would expect to be around Passeig de Gràcia and Gran Via de Les Corts Catalanes. But again, at this point it's just my guessing.

Lastly, I shall repeat three things:

- Pro-indy demonstrations, while adamant, are ALWAYS peaceful, as violence is not in our DNA. Sadly I can't say the same for the other side, while most of the people supporting unity with Spain are regular peaceful folks, the level of tension (and even minor violent scuffles) in their demonstrations is well known and there have been already several "incidents" with far-right small fascists groups infiltrating these and causing, as I said, "scuffles" both against Catalan police but also against other citizens. While it's nothing to seriously worry about -at least for now- I strongly suggest keeping away from these demonstrators. Better be safe than sorry.

- General stoppages do not mean "everything is shut down". Basic services such transportation, hospitals, police, etc continue to provide service to the citizens, albeit in a reduced manner (ie transportation). It also means that while you can find open eateries and convenience shops scattered across the city, most others are closed. Same goes for attractions. And needless to say, hotels are open to receive guests... what would you want us to do? leave you stranded in the streets? what for?. General stoppages normally last 24h albeit there can be longer stoppages depending on the unfolding events.

- Visitors are not part of this, they(you) just happen to be visiting. There's no beef with anyone but the Spanish apparatus, so no one "targets" any visitors.

I am aware that other members of the forum might have other opinions, but, to be frank, I'm not posting for them, nor to start any debate or argument. As a resident and someone that tries to keep on top of this matter, I'm just posting to keep visitors abreast of events happening or about to happen and which can affect their travel plans. Period. I will be happy to answer any question regarding practicalities, but I won't enter into any political debate. Thank you for keeping off my back on that.

Thank you so much for providing this update. We are arriving on the 7th and are flexible about our plans until we board our ship on the 9th. It is reassuring to have a better idea of what to expect.

We arrived here today, a day before the start of a Transatlantic cruise. From what we had been told, a general strike was to have taken place, so we were a bit worried, needlessly. There was absolutely no problem at the airport, air traffic control was functioning normally, baggage was delivered as usual, loads of taxis were on hand to take us and our fellow passengers to wherever we wanted to go, and traffic on the road to downtown was like any other day. From some press reports we note that there was possibly some impact on rail travel, we're unable to confirm.

We arrived yesterday. We took a taxi to Sadgrada Familia which was breathtaking. When we came out around 11am the protesters arrive ver peaceful however the hop on bus couldn't stop at that stop so we walked half an hour to go to stop 12 green stop. And ended up walking down Las Ramblas home around 4pm. No problem.

Going on the Brillance tomorrow.

Thanks Enrikm

Ontario cruiser

Arrived at airport 19.30 today. Car arranged arrived on time and straight to Euro stars Grand Marina.

Strolled along La Rambla to Placa Catalunya and back.

We see no evidence whatever of any disruption. Everything appears completely normal.

Arrived at airport 19.30 today. Car arranged arrived on time and straight to Euro stars Grand Marina.

Strolled along La Rambla to Placa Catalunya and back.

We see no evidence whatever of any disruption. Everything appears completely normal.

Which car service did you use. Need one in a few weeks.