Gem Minisuite question: Shower stall or tub

barric

Just off Jade where we 2 seniors had a minisuite. The bathroom had a bath tub. Not to our liking.

Can someone tell me if sister ship Gem is the same?

My wife is 5' tall and in good shape. For her it was REALLY hard to get into the tub because of high walls. I am 6' and the edge of the tub came up to my knee. I would guess that many somewhat disabled or otherwise less fit persons would not be able to get in and out of the tub at all.

Celebrity Horizon 1995 Southern Caribbean

Carnival Legend 2005 Caribbean

Disney Magic 2008 Caribbean

NCL Jewel 2010 Western Caribbean

NCL Pearl 2012 Western Caribbean

Carnival Pride 2013 Bahamas

Carnival Glory 2013 New England & Canada

Celebrity Summit 2014 Bermuda

NCL Getaway 2014 Caribbean

Celebrity Summit 2015 Bermuda

NCL Spirit 2016 Caribbean

NCL Breakaway Bermuda 2016

Celebrity Reflection W Caribbean 2017

Celebrity Summit 2017 New England & Bermuda

NCL Jade 2017 NYC to Canada

I guess you noticed that once IN the tub, it was standard height. The tub is on a platform (that you really can't see), to allow for the drains. Easy enough to sit on the side, turn and put your leg in , then stand!

No, you cannot sit on the side. It has an upright metal edge, about 1/4" thick and 3" tall that stands up on the tub top edge surface. Its the guide for the sliding doors. No one could sit on this edge without big time pain and probable injury.

No, you cannot sit on the side. It has an upright metal edge, about 1/4" thick and 3" tall that stands up on the tub top edge surface. Its the guide for the sliding doors. No one could sit on this edge without big time pain and probable injury.

It will certainly help to get rid of hemorrhoids ( but not very pleasantly)!

My wife is 5' tall and in good shape. For her it was REALLY hard to get into the tub because of high walls. I am 6' and the edge of the tub came up to my knee. I would guess that many somewhat disabled or otherwise less fit persons would not be able to get in and out of the tub at all.

I'm with you--quite short and find it very difficult to get into the mini-suite tubs. All the Jewel class ships have them, and for that reason, I will never get a mini-suite again. They don't even have a grab bar, so there is nothing to hold onto while you make a very difficult step over into the tub.

I know some like that tub, but I fail to see why - other than little kids maybe. You could double up a towel to sit on that edge if needed.

I think these might be standard on all the Jewel class.

Maybe just save some money and stick with a regular balcony?

Several years ago, we had a Guaranteed Balcony cabin on the Gem.

When we checked in, the agent said that we were so fortunate because NCL had upgraded us to a Minisuite!

We were concerned because we had checked our bags curbside with the original cabin number on them. The agent said to simply tell our cabin steward to retrieve the bags from that cabin. It was on a different deck, but he did get the bags without any problem.

The minisuite was fine, but the bathtub was very difficult for me.

We have never booked a Guaranteed cabin since then!!!

I had cabin number 11090 aboard the Jade, and specifically requested a bathtub. I just had a total hip replacement done less than four months ago and after a day of sightseeing or on my feet I need to soak my muscles in a hot bubble bath.

I loved the tub, and I'm really not in good physical shape but was easily able to lift my leg to get into the bathtub. They also had grab bars inside the tub area I used to get in and out of the tub.

The only improvement would've been some type of nonskid bathmat, but all in all I loved having the tub in our cabin.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I had cabin number 11090 aboard the Jade, They also had grab bars inside the tub area I used to get in and out of the tub.

The grab bars must be new; they didn't have them a few years back (in the regular minisuites on the Pearl). That would have made a big difference for a short person like me. I probably could have made it into the tub without risking a fall.

The grab bars must be new; they didn't have them a few years back (in the regular minisuites on the Pearl). That would have made a big difference for a short person like me. I probably could have made it into the tub without risking a fall.

They didn't have them on the Gem about a year ago.