Live Grandeur 10/28/17- 12 day Baltimore/S. Caribbean

DaisyL

Since we loved the Grandeur so much we booked another cruise on her, 4 months from now, March 15, 2018! My plans are to post about the differences between the 2 cruises, 12 day vs 9 day, deck 8 JS vs deck 2 window cabin, Oct vs March, entertainment, menus, passenger mix....etc.

BAH, only ONE??????

:D

We booked the same 9 night cruise, the same time of year (sailing is a week before this last one), IN THE SAME CABIN. This was booked on board.

Then, the day after disembarkation, we booked the 12 night southern cruise for April 19, again THE SAME CABIN.

Yes, we like Grandeur. :D

BAH, only ONE??????

:D

We booked the same 9 night cruise, the same time of year (sailing is a week before this last one), IN THE SAME CABIN. This was booked on board.

Then, the day after disembarkation, we booked the 12 night southern cruise for April 19, again THE SAME CABIN.

Yes, we like Grandeur. :D

So cool... Love it! We booked a March 2019, 12 day cruise on Anthem while on this cruise and booked the Grandeur 9 day, just yesterday.

We have another cruise, booked six months ago with friends on NCL for 2018 and wasn't expecting to book another Grandeur cruise so soon. But we didn't want to wait a year and now can't wait until March.

BTW, RCL puts any NCL cruise to shame, and we reached their top tier way before we ever cruised RCL.

Now I understand the love for Grandeur too!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Daisy, thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I bookmarked this thread but no need...I just read this ENTIRE thread, every post, every word and you are AMAZING! I LOVE live reviews and I absolutely relished everything you wrote about about your trip, every photo...ALL of it!

Okay, so I have the funniest thing to tell you...

My husband and I love cruises and ironically, OUR last cruise was on the Anthem too! Anyway, just today, we got the 'itch' for another big boat ride (hah!)! I started looking this morning...it was either going to be the Anthem or the Grandeur and, crazy, but we didn't even have to think twice. The Grandeur quickly won out and I picked up the phone and we booked a cruise on her!!!

I. am. beyond. excited. We were on the Grandeur back in 2015 and we LOVED her. (By the way, I SO get it when you describe the differences between the Anthem and the Grandeur. There are wonderful things to say about both of these ships, aren't there??? I love them BOTH for very, very different reasons!)

Since I'm in Maryland I've always considered the Grandeur my 'home ship', I always said I'd be on her again and I am SO excited it's now coming to pass! Anyway, I was very curious as to what may have changed after her Spring, 2017 refurb and couldn't find all that much on it. That's what brought me to reading your Live Review. I didn't mean to, but ended up just reading it all from start-to-finish in its entirety tonight!!!

Anyway, after finishing the thread just now and feeling like I've actually gotten to know you (lol!) I finally got allllll the way down to the end...it was post #275 I think...that I realized...OMG...we're about to be CRUISING TOGETHER THIS COMING MARCH 15th, lol! That was actually the VERY SAME CRUISE I booked this morning!!!

When I read your words tonight I just about fell out of my CHAIR!!! :') :') :')

Toooo funny!!! So I thought I just had to share that with you! :hearteyes:

Daisy, thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I bookmarked this thread but no need...I just read this ENTIRE thread, every post, every word and you are AMAZING! I LOVE live reviews and I absolutely relished everything you wrote about about your trip, every photo...ALL of it!

Okay, so I have the funniest thing to tell you...

My husband and I love cruises and ironically, OUR last cruise was on the Anthem too! Anyway, just today, we got the 'itch' for another big boat ride (hah!)! I started looking this morning...it was either going to be the Anthem or the Grandeur and, crazy, but we didn't even have to think twice. The Grandeur quickly won out and I picked up the phone and we booked a cruise on her!!!

I. am. beyond. excited. We were on the Grandeur back in 2015 and we LOVED her. (By the way, I SO get it when you describe the differences between the Anthem and the Grandeur. There are wonderful things to say about both of these ships, aren't there??? I love them BOTH for very, very different reasons!)

Since I'm in Maryland I've always considered the Grandeur my 'home ship', I always said I'd be on her again and I am SO excited it's now coming to pass! Anyway, I was very curious as to what may have changed after her Spring, 2017 refurb and couldn't find all that much on it. That's what brought me to reading your Live Review. I didn't mean to, but ended up just reading it all from start-to-finish in its entirety tonight!!!

Anyway, after finishing the thread just now and feeling like I've actually gotten to know you (lol!) I finally got allllll the way down to the end...it was post #275 I think...that I realized...OMG...we're about to be CRUISING TOGETHER THIS COMING MARCH 15th, lol! That was actually the VERY SAME CRUISE I booked this morning!!!

When I read your words tonight I just about fell out of my CHAIR!!! :') :') :')

Toooo funny!!! So I thought I just had to share that with you! :hearteyes:

OMG... You are too funny and kind!... Maybe we can write the next review together? I love your story and post and we certainly must meet. Thank you!

As you know, this was my first real review and I hadn't been on Grandeur prior so I decided to do it because most others review the bigger, newer, flashier ships or those with exotic itineraries or as you know, complaints.

Have you joined the roll call for the Meet & Mingle?

Thank you for making my day! [emoji7]

• 6 months later...
Forgot to take a picture of my Creme Brûlée but it was delicious, as usual.

Didn't take any pix of sailaway not insulting anyone but nothing compares to sailing out of NYC/NJ area. 37e0fde584a7b948f087fac29cc4654c.jpg

Day break returning home from one of our cruises...worth the price and aggravation. We live about 50 miles north of NYC so most of our cruises are out of that area.

Do you drive into the city? or take the train? Sailed out of NYC 2x and loved it..but hate the drive in..we are in Binghamton NY area..

We went for it and just booked the 12 night Cape Liberty to S. Caribbean, on Anthem, March 2019. Yes it's 1.5 years away but looking forward to it. Our current group of 7 booked also and hoping others will join us.

It's our homeport only 1.25 hrs away...love it.

We would love to cruise from Bayonne..My parents/grandparents are originally from there as were some relatives..so I'd hope we would be able to maneuver the port...even though we live 3.5hrs north of there

To close out this post, I want to say thank you all for taking the time to follow this post and all the positive feedback I received. I think I learned a lot and certainly had fun while doing it. I'm sure you can tell we love this 'grand old gal'!

Having said that, for all the Grandeur lovers and those that will be cruising on her for the first time, I plan on doing a live review again, but hopefully with improvements.

Since we loved the Grandeur so much we booked another cruise on her, 4 months from now, March 15, 2018! My plans are to post about the differences between the 2 cruises, 12 day vs 9 day, deck 8 JS vs deck 2 window cabin, Oct vs March, entertainment, menus, passenger mix....etc.

What do you think? Feel free to post your suggestions and comments.

Thanks again! This was the first time ever we became so engaged with wonderful crew and fellow cruisers: we enjoyed that most of all. Hope to 'meet' you all again, whether here on CC, at a M&M, or onboard a cruise.

TTYL... Dianne

Our first on this line will be the 12 day out of Baltimore..Our last was Hawaii..hope I wont be disappointed :)

it will be a bit over 3yrs since our last cruise. Our longest has been 7days and the best room we had was balcony. all on NCL. So this will be a longer cruise..but we are backpeddling to a 2nd deck window room. Our first cruise was on Carnival and that was a 3rd deck oceanview..and I think the ship may be the size of this one. Being a bit older and slower, the smaller ship will hopefully still give us a run for our money..

Do you drive into the city? or take the train? Sailed out of NYC 2x and loved it..but hate the drive in..we are in Binghamton NY area..

Although we’re less than an hour north of NYC and can take the train we always drive into NYC for a cruise. Less ‘shlepping’ of luggage and ability to park right at the dock.

Edited by DaisyL

We would love to cruise from Bayonne..My parents/grandparents are originally from there as were some relatives..so I'd hope we would be able to maneuver the port...even though we live 3.5hrs north of there

We love cruising out of Bayonne since it’s a short drive for us, 1.5 hrs. Last time we cruised from Bayonne Nov. 2016 there was a lot of traffic due to road construction but not sure about now but it’s very convenient and a shorter drive home.

We have since rescheduled the cruise out of Bayonne on Anthem to Serenade, March 2019 out of FL, to join family instead. Itinerary is fantastic and no cruising in cold weather...lol.

Our first on this line will be the 12 day out of Baltimore..Our last was Hawaii..hope I wont be disappointed :)

it will be a bit over 3yrs since our last cruise. Our longest has been 7days and the best room we had was balcony. all on NCL. So this will be a longer cruise..but we are backpeddling to a 2nd deck window room. Our first cruise was on Carnival and that was a 3rd deck oceanview..and I think the ship may be the size of this one. Being a bit older and slower, the smaller ship will hopefully still give us a run for our money..

What cruise line for Hawaii? We also cruised Hawaii with NCL but 10 years ago and loved it. The Hawaii cruise was all about the itinerary and ports and not so much about the ship.

This 12 night on Grandeur is about the ship, itinerary and longer cruise. We mostly cruise longer cruises now, more than 7 days, and really feel relaxed afterwards. For this 12 night we splurged for a Junior Suite, although we mostly book balconies. For our 9 night on Grandeur we had an OV on deck 2 and found the size adequate and able to store our belongings.

For both cruises we drove down a day ahead, booked a hotel in the White Marsh area, and parked at the port. Easy peasy.

I’m sure you’ll have a great time!

What cruise line for Hawaii? We also cruised Hawaii with NCL but 10 years ago and loved it. The Hawaii cruise was all about the itinerary and ports and not so much about the ship.

This 12 night on Grandeur is about the ship, itinerary and longer cruise. We mostly cruise longer cruises now, more than 7 days, and really feel relaxed afterwards. For this 12 night we splurged for a Junior Suite, although we mostly book balconies. For our 9 night on Grandeur we had an OV on deck 2 and found the size adequate and able to store our belongings.

For both cruises we drove down a day ahead, booked a hotel in the White Marsh area, and parked at the port. Easy peasy.

I’m sure you’ll have a great time!

Hawaii was for my 60th birthday..and it was NCL. Wanted a taste of all the islands in the event we ever went back and stayed at a particular island. But would do the cruise again in a heartbeat!!

For this next cruise,,HS classmates booked and we've been wanting to do a cruise together.so going to be a 45yr HS reunion of sorts, and the price was right and I've been wanting to do another cruise line..and it will be winter..so out of the cold. We plan on driving down the day before and staying in Best Western for a park and sail. The itinerary was one we had booked LAST January on NCL while we snowbirded in Fla..out of Port Canaveral..then Irma hit. So we cancelled.

Edited by bsblindab
addtional info

I'm not quite sure why CC sent me this link although I am booked on the Grandeur 8 NOV 19 and my name is DazyMae. Two similarities to this thread.

Anyway, I live in north east PA not too far from and east of I-81. When cruising out of Bayonne we drive to Bethlehem & take Trans-Bridge Bus Lines to the port. It's about $42 RT for seniors pp & parking is free for the 1st 3 days. After that it's $5 a day. In your case and ours, come to think of it, it would split your trip in half as it is 1.5 hours to the port & a very easy bus drive. Your luggage is transported to your cabin from the bus. Sooo easy.

From your neck of the woods it's south on I-81 and east on Rt 22 to the Lehigh Int'l Airport (ABE) where you'd pick up the bus. About 1.5 hours from Binghamton.

Just thought I'd share since we are "neighbors".

Just got off the Adventure out of Bayonne & we'll be on the Anthem again in late SEP.

I just realized I have to update my signature. Duh! Safe travels.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not quite sure why CC sent me this link although I am booked on the Grandeur 8 NOV 19 and my name is DazyMae. Two similarities to this thread.

Just got off the Adventure out of Bayonne.

We just returned from a cruise on NCL Escape, NYC-Bermuda (and posting a review now).Equal opportunity cruisers ... lol. But Royal is our go-to! Wish they would offer 7 day Bermuda out of Bayonne...we would jump on it. I think they offered 1 or 2 this year but the dates didn’t work and the numerous 5 day cruises are way too short.

We have cruised on Royal’s Anthem (twice),Explorer, Liberty, Majesty as well as Grandeur (twice). Loved them all but very different experiences, as you can read in my reviews.

We have since rescheduled our Anthem cruise March 2019 to Serenade (FL) for the same timeframe.

Have a great time next year and post back! I love talking cruises.