Live Grandeur 10/28/17- 12 day Baltimore/S. Caribbean

DaisyL

What day was the drink card advertised in the compass?

I’m planning on asking at the first bar that opens but just incase, I was wondering.

I’ve mulled around the idea of a drink package for the hubby but decided to buy him a new iPad instead and just buy maybe 2 drink cards. We spend all day in the ports so I don’t think we could make the package worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We saw the drink card offered, on a placard on the pool bar, maybe the second day. It was offered all vacation long but I'll check the compass when I unpack.

They also offered a beer card (10 beers/$49) but it was only for draft beers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You're all very welcome...I really enjoyed doing it. I hope you all have a great time on yours too.

Everyone we spoke too were so nice and they all said the same thing. It really is a unique ship!

We chose to get off the ship late and was given the 9:15-945 am slot, tag 17, meeting in the theatre. We were called at 9:40 am, along with the rest of the numbers, went through customs, picked up our luggage, packed a car and pick up truck for 7 people and on the road by 10:15 am.

This was after my brother had to drive the truck around the parking lot a few times to drain the water out of the bed, before loading. I know we're a bunch of loonies.

We came home 4.5 hrs later, to temps in the 40s and inside the house at 54 deg....brrrr. Heat turned on to get the chill out and will need to get the wood stove started tomorrow. Temps will only be in the 30s with lows in the teens.

Certainly not used to this after the high heat and humidity we had in the Caribbean. It was warmer than any other time we've gone.

I'll be checking back in, to post some pix from the camera and to add any tidbits I can think of. And of course answer questions.

TTYL..... Dianne

Thank you for your wonderful review. I've been enjoying it since we will be on this cruise in March. 2 questions...did you think the mattresses were hard? Were the inside public areas of the ship cold because of air conditioning in you opinion? Thanks again!

Thank you for your wonderful review. I've been enjoying it since we will be on this cruise in March. 2 questions...did you think the mattresses were hard? Were the inside public areas of the ship cold because of air conditioning in you opinion? Thanks again!

Your welcome. You will have a good time.

The mattress was firm but comfortable. I didn't check if there was a topper or not though. In comparison, we thought the mattress felt like a rock on the Anthem, first time but the second time there was a topper and it was much more comfortable.

We didn't think it was cold from AC but everyone's tolerance is different. The Solarium was much too warm for us. The cabin AC had good control, from warm to cold. Also, if you like hot showers, you will be in luck.

Our last night in Schooner didn't disappoint...fantastic piano and the service was great and fun...as it was all cruise.

It seems there is a different piano player than in August. He was painful to even walk through the Schooner.

We have the 12 day booked for April 2019. Already counting down the days (but don't have to wait that long for a cruise, as have another booked next summer :) ).

It seems there is a different piano player than in August. He was painful to even walk through the Schooner.

We have the 12 day booked for April 2019. Already counting down the days (but don't have to wait that long for a cruise, as have another booked next summer :) ).

Yes there was a different piano player then. JR started recently, I think the 9 day cruise right before us. If he's there give it a try, our group ages ranged from 29 to 65 yo and we all had a great time every night.

When we were on Anthem last year the piano player(s) - might have been 2 of them. Reminded me of old vaudeville types playing 40s and 50s music. They had an older crowd but packed every night....ugh, not our type at all. Just walked past on our way somewhere else.

Do you know where the suite breakfast was held, Chops or Giovanni's? Thanks for all the positive remarks. We are doing Canada New England this summer and have not been on this small a ship in many years. Sounds like Grandeur has a lot going for it regardless of its relatively small size.

Yes there was a different piano player then. JR started recently, I think the 9 day cruise right before us. If he's there give it a try, our group ages ranged from 29 to 65 yo and we all had a great time every night.

When we were on Anthem last year the piano player(s) - might have been 2 of them. Reminded me of old vaudeville types playing 40s and 50s music. They had an older crowd but packed every night....ugh, not our type at all. Just walked past on our way somewhere else.

You’ve peaked my interest to go and see JR. On my past 4 sailing I found the piano players to be more like comedians and I was bored. I like music, real music.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the info... By all means. We booked our 2019 cruise on this ship....yeah!

I'm lurking. Where did you find info on 2019 cruises? I didn't see it on the RCCL website.

BTW I love the Grandeur. I was on it a few years ago.

Thanks.

I'm lurking. Where did you find info on 2019 cruises? I didn't see it on the RCCL website.

Thanks.

We saw a flyer at the Next Cruise desk onboard and then looked it up on the RCCL website to price it out. Good thing we did because they were running a special promotion for the Anthem that the planner was not aware of.

Maybe the website wasn't working correctly? I find it malfunctions at times or has more problems with certain web browsers.

Thanks.

It was on RCI site.

Booked it on about Sept 4.

I just checked, the site shows Jan - Apr 2019 cruises.

Daisy,

Want to thank you for all your posts. They have been very informative and entertaining. We also will be on the Grandeur for the first time next week. I have read all the posts, but lost count of the number of formal night on the 12 days. We still like to get dressed up for formal nights. No tuxs, but do like wearing a suit, Just need some idea what to pack.

Mike

Daisy,

Want to thank you for all your posts. They have been very informative and entertaining. We also will be on the Grandeur for the first time next week. I have read all the posts, but lost count of the number of formal night on the 12 days. We still like to get dressed up for formal nights. No tuxs, but do like wearing a suit, Just need some idea what to pack.

Mike

You are very welcome. I really enjoyed doing it and realized I should have taken more pix around the ship and islands but this was the first time I wrote a review like this.

On the 12 day, 2 formal nights, first sea day each way. The guys in the dining room wore everything from polos and slacks to tuxes. At our table, 2 wore suits, one wore sport jacket, dress shirt and slacks, and one wore dress shirt and slacks, all were fine. Women ran the gamut from gowns to cocktail dresses to dressy tops and slacks. Everyone looked neat and nice.

I'm not the formal attire police, but only took note because people tend to ask, especially with consideration to packing.

We had the table right next to the captains table, 2nd seating, and it was empty every night except the second formal night. Our head waiter said he only dines in the dining room once per 12 day cruise and not at all on shorter cruises.

We tried to get an inconspicuous photo (we can behave -sometimes) hence the bad quality. We were certainly star struck. Awesome!

3c7dbedf8e329629a4c7f6efdc2c9617.jpg

All other nights, were casual, and most looked neat and clean. Saw a number of baseball caps, on men, in the dining room, though. This is my opinion only, so no flaming and baseball caps are on the 'do not wear to the dining room list'. It's a pet peeve of mine, instilled by my father with 4 sons; in Chili's or McDonald's it's fine but to a formal dining room? Is your hair not clean, are you cold, do you need a security blanket, are you embarrassed about your bald spot, bad hair day, too much sun in the dining room, keeping the bugs out of your plate...blah, blah blah...? Sorry, but a lot of men in my family wear caps all the time, including my husband, but not to dinner....it's called RESPECT....Not sorry.

Millbrook Mom:

When we were on this cruise last November it did not go by the Pitons.

We were on last December and we did go past the Pitons. But was very early in the morning. Probably around 6 am. We were also on this cruise and we went by the Pitons again...I just missed getting a good picture by about a 30 min. Here’s my pics. First pic is from last Dec. and the second pic is from this cruise ( you can see them in the middle of the picture).aec11f12091a6f18e2dd237a84a7e2db.jpg612f834348b9ccbc710aa8e20fde51e3.jpg

Gwen [emoji3]

Does anyone else find it odd that we will be porting in St. Maarten yet Celebrity (Royal company) is still cancelling port calls there into January???

Yes, you would think that RCCL and Celebrity would have the same policy, as both are owned by RCI.

There was another recent RCCL thread where returning to St. Martin/St. Maarten was discussed. Over 95% of CC posters were looking forward to returning to St. Thomas ASAP. Even several local St. Martin newspapers were stating they were ready for cruise ships to return as soon as November 5, 2017.