Venice - Murano & Burano

Hi,

We are thinking of visiting the islands on our own. Could anyone help us with the directions please? How can we get there from Piazza San Marco? At the islands, is it easy to find a glass factory and lace store to visit?

We only have a day and a half in Venice, what are the must-sees?

For gondola rides, has anyone booked with Europeforvisitors.com? Or, is it easy to negotiate with the gondoliers (do they speak English?)

Thanks.

If you have only a half day, you might want to skip the outer islands...There is so much more to see and do in Venice itself...

But, if you want to do Murano on your own, just pick up a Vaporetti (a public bus/boat...the stations are easy to find and have maps showing the routes so you can find the right one)...

As for us, we found Murano to be pleasant, but not as awesome as Venice itself...and the Glass Factories are largely high-pressure sales deals...and the glass is NOT cheap...

In Venice, my quick list of musts are:

--Piazza San Marco, with a tour of the Doge's Palace (and Bridge of Sighs)--the "Secret" tour, if you can get it, otherwise the self tour...

--The Ghetto, with the Synagogues tour...

--Rialto Bridge...

Past there, it's just the city itself, wandering the streets, piazzas and alleyways...the shopping (you can buy Murano Glass all over town as well) and the outdoor cafes...

But, believe me, there's more than a half-day's adventure...

Summit, July 3, 2004: Alaska: 13 night cruisetour

From what I can recall you can take the Water Bus (Vaporetti) Number 52 from San Zaccaria Iolanda - which is a little further along from San Marco. The water buses are very easy and enjoyable.

Marge M.

I don't believe you will need to book a gondola ride in advance. There are many areas / opportunities to catch a gondola and there is something to be said about the way the vessel and its gondolier "look." Not all are created equal! (i.e. some take more pride in their work than others.) You might like one over the other, or you might prefer to pick one up in a certain location based on how your plans are going. You'll have no trouble finding one!

HAVE A GREAT TIME...

Thanks for the advice.

Chick's pal: Do the gondoliers speak English? Or should we know at least some basic Italian in order to negotiate the price? The only reason I was considering an organized gondola tour was the language barrier.

Bruin Steve: We will have 1.5 days in Venice. We plan to walk around the city and take a gondola ride on day 1 (half day). On day 2, we are interested in the secret tour and will try to book in advance. I was thinking about the islands for the afternoon but maybe I am going to change my mind as you said there is so much to see in Venice.

ewong,

It didn't take that much time to get over to Murano and back (absent the time being held hostage in the glass factory showroom)...but, it just didn't seem that worthwhile...All the history and architecture and art is back on Venice...

My advice is to get a copy of the "AAA Spiral Guide--Venice"...This book is just perfect for guiding you through Venice...the maps and pictures are great and they give detailed "walking tour" instructions and highlight the "must-sees"...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1562515039/103-8972676-2008637?v=glance#product-details

Summit, July 3, 2004: Alaska: 13 night cruisetour

No need to even think about reserving gondolas, they are readily available at several locations around Venice (one is to the right when looking at the water from in front of St Marks Sq) and the price is negotiable depending on time of day and supply and demand. Expect to pay around $100 for a 40 min ride. As to the islands, my personal favorite is Burano, but its about 40 min by Vaporetto (take the #12 from Fondamenta Nuove)and its kind of a laid-back residential island with a few decent cafes and shops. Murano is closer to Venice, much more famous, and a bit of a tourist trap (you can also take the # 12 Vaporetto or #5 frp, Fondamenta Nuove. But, its still fun to look at the glass (rumors say that much of the "murano" glass is now imported from eastern europe). Bu the way, the Fondamenta Nuove vaporetto stop is on the oppostive side of Venice from St Marks Square. You can take the walk all the way across the island (not a bad hike) or take one of the Vaporettos that go around Venice (they go in both directions) and transfer at Fonamenta Nuove. Its easier than it sounds and there are maps at all the stops.

Hank

Ewong: It seems EVERYONE in Venice speaks and understands English. It is, after all, a tourist town and English continues to be a language-in-common for many countries, regardless of their native tongue.

I found it funny that even though I would ask questions in Italian, the person I was asking would always answer in English. You will have NO trouble communicating.

Note there are also places to hire gondolas near the Rialto bridge and many side canals as well. I really think you'll want to choose your gondolier kind of "spontaneously". And I would definitely recommend an evening ride for the ultimate in romance.

Venice is a magical place. We were so, so worried about getting along here, since it was our first stop in Europe, there were no cars, etc...It ended up being very easy, very friendly and our favorite place of all.

Chick's pal, Bruin Steve & Hank,

Thanks you very much for your advice. I think we will choose our gondolier "spontaneously" as suggested and we may visit Murano/Bruano if we have seen "enough" of Venice. We have booked the secret tour and I can't wait to get there.

Evelyn

ewong,

Did you book your secret tour online or by phone? The sites that I have found do not have the option for an english speaking guide and I did not know how to make that request.

Gayle

Hi Gayle,

The telephone number for the Secret Itinerary Tour is 041 520 9070. The lady spoke English and she gave me a confirmation number. I have booked an English tour (09:55). You will need to get there 20 minutes before the tour starts.

ewong, we just returned from Venice 2 days ago. With the schedule you mentioned, I would stay in Venice. I agree with the others that the glass factories on Murano are great if you have time (we've bought some beautiful things for our home there), but Murano is not a pretty island, in my opinion. We went to Burano and Torcello this time (this was a repeat visit to Burano), and I greatly prefer Burano for a side trip. Note that the boat to Burano takes an hour each way, but the ride is pretty scenic if the weather is nice, and it was for us. Burano is the fishing village, and it is a riot of color. Very, very charming and very different from Venice, so it's a great combo. You will find plenty of glass to buy in Venice without going to the factories.

I've said this before, but it bears repeating--my advice is to stay away from the private boats if you are going to Murano and to use the public transportation boat, which leaves from San Zaccharia, approximately a city block from St. Mark's Square. The "hawkers" (and your hotel staff if you are staying in a hotel) get approximately 30-40% of the price of your purchase, so the showrooms are not in a position to offer you a great deal if you go with a hawker. Besides that, most hawkers are going to leave you to return via public boat or will take you on to Burano and leave you there to return via public boat. I was with a friend who bought $6,000 of glass in U.S. dollars and yes, we did not receive a return trip to Venice.

We bought 72 hour transportation passes for 22 Euros each. A bargain because they included the islands of Murano and Burano and Torcello, and a single vaporetto ticket is 5 euros now.

We just paid $80 for a 40 minute ride. Youc an share that cost with others, and if there is a line, the gondoliers will probably load you with others unless you ask to go alone (we did). I recommend that you ride the side canals and not out in the Grand Canal because it is very hectic on the Grand Canal, and the large public transportation boats will be flitting all around your boat. We went at about 7:30 p.m., and that was a great time to go because the canals were very quiet. Our gondolier took us from just off St. Mark's Square, through some side canals, briefly into the Grand Canal at the Rialto Bridge, and back through another series of canals. It was magical. He spoke English, and you don't need to be concerned about the language barrier for this outing.

Hope you have a great time.

Donna

Donna,

Thanks for the information. After more researching done on the islands and the info I got from all of you who had been there, we have decided not to visit Murano this time. Bruano, a maybe. Due to the limited time we have and the travel time (1 hour each way), we may also leave it until our next trip.

Are there specific gondola stations that people wait in line for one? Did you get on near the San Marco Sq. or at a side canal? The rate seems quite reasonable. Did the gondolier sing for you? Would you consider the ride romantic?

We will probably buy a 24h vaporette pass. I have also heard of traghetto that crosses the Grand Canal. Are these very short rides?

Is the best way getting from the airport to the ship via land taxi?

Thanks,

Evelyn

ewong, I found Burano to be the highlight of my trip to Venice. It's a charming fishing village full of little lace shops (very reasonable prices) and quaint architecture and a crooked church steeple. I loved it.

The scenery over is also very nice. I liked that part much better than my gondola ride, which I felt was overpriced.

Splendour of the Seas - Med

June 19, 2004 from Barcelona

Having been to Venice a number of times, one of the most beautiful and romantic things that we have done is to take the vaporetto which goes along the Grand Canal at dusk. Make sure to go from the Piazza San Marco toward the train station. It is something that I will never forget and not too expensive. Hopefully it will have very few passengers and leave it very special for you too.

Fran

I also would like to know where to buy the 72 hour pass.

I also would recommend Burano if you have time. As the others have mentioned, it is such a quaint island and the colourful doors and houses are great.

Also, could someone tell me the cost of the Secret Tour. We did the normal tour of the Doges Palace and Bridge of Sighs many years ago and I am wondering what the extras are.

Jennie

The next cruise is always the best!

3RD OCTOBER, 2004 PRINSENDAM

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;10;03;17;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100

Hi ewong,

There are gondola stations at various locations in Venice including just off St. Mark's Square, the Rialto Bridge, and several places (at hotels like the Hotel Monaco and Grand Canal) along the Riva degli Sciavoni, which is the street that runs along the water in front of St. Mark's Square. You may need to wait in line, but it will depend on when you want to take your ride. The weather was gorgeous while we were there, so we noticed that, oddly enough, no one wanted to ride the gondolas mid-day at the station off of St. Mark's Square. That station was really busy in the morning and in the evening starting at about 6:00 p.m. or so. We chose to go off St. Mark's Square (if you're standing with your back to St. Mark's Basilica, that station is in the opposite corner of the square on the right side) because we watched other gondolas in the Grand Canal with all the public transportation boats and a lot of chaos around and did not think that was very romantic. Our ride in the side canals and then out to see the Rialto Bridge was very romantic. The gondolier did not sing, but he talked to us about various historical buildings during our ride. It was awesome.

Sorry I missed dondiane's post, but the 72-hour transportation cards can be bought at any vaporetto station (other than late at night when the ticket windows are not open). We bought ours at the train station.

I also agree with the previous post that the vaporetto ride at dusk (that's vaporetto #1 which circles the Grand Canal) sitting outside is so beautiful. The lights begin to come on outside the buildings, and you can peek inside a lot of them too. We also like to ride during the day to look at and take photos of the amazing architecture.

By the way, for those of you who have been to Venice during the summer, the outdoor concert series is in full swing this spring, and it was wonderful. The string ensembles plan in St. Mark's Square in the evening in front of several cafes, and it's just magical and very romantic. We had a few drunks that thought they could dance too, and that was pretty entertaining. My favorite was when they played, "New York, New York."

The traghetto rides are very cheap but are simply a 5-minute ride across the Grand Canals and are mainly in areas where there is no bridge nearby and are used as transportation to cross from side to side. They're fun too, but it's not the same as a gondola ride.

We didn't go from the airport to the ship (we came in by train this time), but I'm sure someone else can answer your question. On this trip, our ship actually ended outside Rome, but we've really done that city thoroughly and preferred to return to Venice again--it's my favorite.

Now I'm going to say that I KNOW you will have a great time. icon_smile.gif

Donna

Archived