Carnival Sunshine quad interior - no king option?

sarmat1

I'm looking to book the Sunshine and am seeing this disclaimer for all interior quads:

Note: Twin beds do not convert to king when both upper pullmans in use.

We've been on 5 other ships and have always used the two uppers and had the twins pushed into a king. In fact I can't imagine why this wouldn't be possible. But I do know that the Sunshine used to be the Destiny and some things might be different.

But really - can you NOT have a king on the Sunshine if you're using the two uppers?

I've never been in the Sunshine, but I've seen that note on other ships. We alway request a king anyway, and they do it. It's just not a convenient configuration bc you bump your head like crazy...but we cruise with 5 and it's the best configuration for us.

Hopefully that's the case on the Sunshine, too!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Go for a balcony. The extra space is worth it when you have 4 ppl. We booked an interior with our teens. It was so horribly hot in that room with the pullmans over the bed. The balcony, the Pullman was over the couch not the bed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Go for a balcony. The extra space is worth it when you have 4 ppl. We booked an interior with our teens. It was so horribly hot in that room with the pullmans over the bed. The balcony, the Pullman was over the couch not the bed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Considering they already done it five times, I think they are aware of what it's like in an interior with four people.

We routinely cruise with 5 people. For those cruises when we are all in one cabin, this disclaimer is often found on the room we end up in. We've never an issue, nor has anyone even questioned, setting up with a king configuration. The only issue is that one of the ladders won't fit in their intended slots, but the kids are easily able to crawl across from the upper next to it, or you can use the ladder in a "non-intended" location, which means it just doesn't have the little slots the ladder locks into. Unless you have very small children, I wouldn't let this affect my cabin choice. Have a great cruise!

We routinely cruise with 5 people. For those cruises when we are all in one cabin, this disclaimer is often found on the room we end up in. We've never an issue, nor has anyone even questioned, setting up with a king configuration. The only issue is that one of the ladders won't fit in their intended slots, but the kids are easily able to crawl across from the upper next to it, or you can use the ladder in a "non-intended" location, which means it just doesn't have the little slots the ladder locks into. Unless you have very small children, I wouldn't let this affect my cabin choice. Have a great cruise!

The interesting thing is I've never seen the disclaimer for any cruises that we've booked or mock booked. This is the first. If the problem as you and others have stated is the ladder, which is what I thought as well, then I wouldn't expect Carnival to state that the "beds do not convert" which would imply that it physically can't be done. We don't use the ladders as the kids just use the king to trampoline up to the uppers. We also have the steward keep the uppers open all the time to give the kids their own space whenever we happen to be in the cabin.

So if the problem is the ladders, then's it's a non-issue as we'll just ask the steward to put the bottom twins together since we don't use the ladders.

But I'm still interested to hear from anybody who might know - Is there some bizarre design element in the Sunshine quad interiors that makes it physically impossible to put the bottom twins together when you're using the uppers? :confused:

Edited by sarmat1

I have seen the exact same wording you're referencing on other ships in rooms I booked. It is as I stated because the ladder is supposed to go up to the upper bunk in between the two twin beds in the provided slot I assume because it's reinforced for extra support there and to prevent movement of the ladder.

I guess depending on the age of your children their weight may not be an issue to bounce up to the upper bunk. Idk if they will put the beds together because of that. It doesn't mean that you can't push your beds together anyway if you want to.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Forums mobile app

Check out the obstructed OV rooms on deck 3. They are not much more than an interior and much more space!

Agree. We had one of these with 4 people and it had a couch and Pullman over the couch. Not much more than an inside but much less than balcony.

I have been on sunshine with family twice. We had a 2 balcony and 4 interior on deck six. In the quad room you can put the two beds together but you will be half under on or the pull down bed and most of your open space will be under the other as the pull downs are in an L shape. It's doable if you need it like that. The ship has its pros and con which have been discuss at length in many of the forms, but this is doable and shouldn't have a negative effect on your vacation. Enjoy - the Stewart should help you figure this out.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes this is what the room looks like. The ladder on the left can be moved and the beds moved over more. May help. Not sure if that will make it impossible for the person above the king beds to use ladder.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks so much Stick93 for the description and Essiesmom for the picture. That setup is perfect. We won't use the ladders so that's not a problem. This configuration is more elongated than the symmetrical square-like cabin we're used to. I think I like this way better since the king is basically in the corner of the room and the L-shaped uppers are as well. The kids can easily trampoline up to the uppers. Just have to figure out where we'll put our fan.

I still can't figure out why Carnival is specifically disclaiming this type of setup for these cabins. :confused:

My family of 4 just sailed on the Sunshine in October in an interior room like this. We only needed one bed pulled down though because my youngest daughter is not quite 2 and I couldn't trust her in the upper bed. Our steward was more than willing to set up both pull downs though. It was one of the first questions that he asked when we first talked to him.