Short Review - Sea Princess - 14 Day - 19 Nov to 3 Dec 05

Pandaman

A short review of the Sea princess Grand Caribbean Islander 14 Day Cruise 19 Nov – 3 Dec 2005.

This was a great cruise, decidedly British by design, which added to the enjoyment. British folks could either get on in FLL or Barbados which made for an interesting cruise, with about a third of the passengers changing half-way through. We are a couple in our mid-fifties with mobility difficulties that cruise just for the relaxation, enjoyment and when we can afford it -- luxury – you won’t find any reviews of excursions here – we prefer to just to stay on the ship or venture off for a short shopping trip now and then.

We picked this cruise because of the length, itinerary and cabin availability. The length, 14 days is great if you can afford the time. The itinerary was unusual with a round robin of the Caribbean and just enough days at sea. Round trip from FLL with stops at Princess Cay, Tortola, Antigua, Dominica, Martinique, Barbados, Grenada, Isla Margarita, Aruba and Grand Cayman and 3 days at sea. The cabin, well let’s just say it doesn’t get much better – Cat AA Aft Suite.

Embarkation and Debarkation were quick, smooth and well run. Muster was also well done. The ship was in good shape, clean and sailed with no problems. If you’re in the aft upper decks you have to switch elevators on deck seven unless you like long walks, but that’s about the worst of the layout. Plenty of places to eat, drink, relax and enjoy entertainment. Food was excellent and plentiful in the dining room (we had traditional early seating) and room service – we did use the Horizon Court a couple of times and I felt it crowded and somewhat less then appetizing. Café Corniche had great pizza and Italian. We did not use Sterling’s alternative dining, as the steaks in the dining room were excellent. Dining room service staff was great and tablemates wonderful, which made for a nice dining experience. Great Atrium display for Thanksgiving. My wife gives thumbs up to the Latte in the Explorer’s Lounge and I have to do the same for the Mojito’s in the Vista Lounge.

Plenty of activities all day to keep you busy and don’t forget to watch “Must Sea TV” every morning for information on the days activities and port schedule. Cruise Director Alistair was great and Leah the Assistant Director was as well. Leah left to go to another ship at the end of the Cruise.

Ports were all interesting, with each Island having its own distinct geography. Ships tenders were used for three islands and appeared to run smooth. Our tablemates went on several excursions and said, except for traffic on most of the islands – they were great excursions with no problems. Except for a little chop the first night, sailing was great – I probably could have done without my patch, but was glad I had it anyway.

Cabin (C749) was incredible. It was a two-room suite with huge marble bath, whirlpool tub and walk-in shower. Wet-bar and two –TV’s, walk-in closet – pictures will follow on my webshots.com albums in a couple of weeks. Aft balcony was 20 feet by 6 feet with 2 teak lounges and table with four chairs. Jay the room steward was wonderful and all room service folks were friendly. Princess impressed me with their service and attention – even sent an engineer to make sure my wife’s CPAP was working and if we needed an extension cord.

It was good to meet fellow Cruise Critics Dan and Barbara, John and Wilma, Linda and David, Ed and Mary. Sorry we didn't get to spend more time together.

I could go on and on, as this was by far the best cruise we have taken and any other will need to go a long way to compare. If you have any questions, please ask and I will be happy to respond.

Pleased to hear you had a great cruise. We shall be going on the Sea Princess on the 24th December (11 days to go!).

One question - You mention your wife had a CPAP machine which my husband also has. How and where did you purchase the special water that is needed in them? Don't really want to carry it all the way from the UK. Was there any other special things you had to do with regards to this?

Thanks for all the information given.

Julie

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your cruise. It sounds like the Sea Princess is a nice ship, I'd love to do that itinerary that you just did. The Sea Princess seems quite booked up already for the rest of the season though. Seems that one must book well ahead of time.

Pleased to hear you had a great cruise. We shall be going on the Sea Princess on the 24th December (11 days to go!).

One question - You mention your wife had a CPAP machine which my husband also has. How and where did you purchase the special water that is needed in them? Don't really want to carry it all the way from the UK. Was there any other special things you had to do with regards to this?

Thanks for all the information given.

Julie

Unfortunately, Sally doesn't use a CPAP with a water tank, she uses it dry. I would fax the Princess medical staff and see if they could have a gallon or two of Distilled Water available for you. You may pay more for it, put it would be easy. The other alternative is if you are coming a day early to go to a grocery store and buy it there. Make sure yo get distilled water and not regular bottled water. If all else fails you may just want to use ship water -- I don't think two weeks of ship water will harm the machine. Have a great cruise!

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your cruise. It sounds like the Sea Princess is a nice ship, I'd love to do that itinerary that you just did. The Sea Princess seems quite booked up already for the rest of the season though. Seems that one must book well ahead of time.

Thanks, from what I understand most of these cruises booked almost a year in advance. We hope to book the companion cruise that goes to 8 other islands for Nov 2007.I think the popularity of this cruise may spread to other cruise lines to offer similar itineraries in 2007.

We'll be on the Sea Princess this Saturday. I have a few questions for you.

What time was muster?

At which port did they have Island nite?

Was the Captain's Circle party on a Formal nite or a different one?

Thanks! Minette

The muster was at 5:15 PM and lasted about 45 minutes --

Island night was about half-way through, I think after we left Martinique

Was not invited to Captain's Circle party, so not sure, but it may have been on the second formal night.

We will be going on this cruise in February. Can you please tell me which nights were formal nights and what time you could board the ship in Fort Lauderdale?

Sounds like you had a great time and we are so looking forward to going.

Ther were three formal nights. The first was the third night out which was a sea day. The second was afetr we left Isla Margarita, which was an early debarkation, and the last was a couple of nights later, which was the second at sea day.

We arrived at the pier about 12 noon and there was a long line. We had to wait for Sally's electric cart to be delivered and that came around 1245 and therewas no line. We were on the ship and in our cabin by a little after 1 pm. Get there between 1230 and 1 and you will sail (pun intended ) right through.

float our boat...this should give you the answers you want...it is also a thread on the front page........

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=259423

The only thing I will add is that this is the cruise immediately before us... our weather was beautiful from start to finish... except for maby 5 minutes of rain one day. Also we did not have quite so many Brits ... maybe 1200 or so.

Glad to hear the cruise and ship were so good. We are doing this cruise in Dec 2006 from Fort Lauderdale. My daughter joins it in Barbados and is getting married on the ship a few days later. I think there are lots of Brits on these cruises as Princess organises charter flights from the UK. We booked early as the charters fill up quickly.

Glad to hear the cruise and ship were so good. We are doing this cruise in Dec 2006 from Fort Lauderdale. My daughter joins it in Barbados and is getting married on the ship a few days later. I think there are lots of Brits on these cruises as Princess organises charter flights from the UK. We booked early as the charters fill up quickly.

There were quite a few weddings on the ship on our cruise. I think they used the library (very nice room) for the weddings. Saw lots of pictures being taken in the Atrium. Congratulations and have a great cruise and wedding.

There were quite a few weddings on the ship on our cruise. I think they used the library (very nice room) for the weddings. Saw lots of pictures being taken in the Atrium. Congratulations and have a great cruise and wedding.

Yes the weddings do take place in the library. Is it spacious? The one on the Sun had little room as there were lots of big chairs for listening to tapes. My daughter is the 3rd wedding on the day she gets married.

Yes the weddings do take place in the library. Is it spacious? The one on the Sun had little room as there were lots of big chairs for listening to tapes. My daughter is the 3rd wedding on the day she gets married.

I just peeked in the library as I was leaving the internet cafe. It was not a large room and did have lots of big chairs - given the Sea is a Sun class ship they are probably the same. But given the attention that Princess pays, I bet the chairs disappear for weddings and there are regular chairs and lots of room. By the way I found the desserts and pastries to be very good, so I betthe wedding cake will be grand.

Thank you for a wonderful review. we are going on this cruise in 117 days and counting ...I was excited before ....I am even more excited now. Glad you had a great time ...

Watch the Reviews section over the next few weeks. I posted the same review there, but read where another Cruise Critic member ( her name is Mary - CC nick escapes me ) said she posted a long review. We only met once on the cruise, but she spent lots of time with other CCer's. Sally and I kept a low profile :D .

I just peeked in the library as I was leaving the internet cafe. It was not a large room and did have lots of big chairs - given the Sea is a Sun class ship they are probably the same. But given the attention that Princess pays, I bet the chairs disappear for weddings and there are regular chairs and lots of room. By the way I found the desserts and pastries to be very good, so I betthe wedding cake will be grand.

Sounds like the same as the Sun. Did not see any weddings there. Look forward to the cake!!

Archived