Visiting Penguins - Footwear?

MLinFL

No - not the penguins footwear :) ---- I am wondering of those that have already done a South America trip and visited penguins, what kind of shoes/boots did you wear? Did they get very dirty? (I have read in a review of Antarctica where they had to wash their boots off before going back on the ship, as the ship didn't want the passengers bringing the "dirt" from the penguins back on the ship.) Just wondering how much of a problem this is.

Thanks!

Mary Lou

Mary Lou,

Although I am enamored with penguins, my trip to Antarctica has educated me in Penguin's "lifestyles" for lack of a better word. Please understand that where there are penguins there is also penguin "poo". This poo is everywhere they go.

As their main diet is fish and their digestive sysytems are not as efficient as ours, much of the poo has pieces of fish. Never let a penguin turn his back on you as they shoot straight out of the back.

Most importantly, take caution as the ground becomes very slippery. I would suggest that you take cheap rubber boots or overshoes. Take along other shoes to change as you don't want to track that onto the ship and into the cabin.

It might seem like you are going to a lot of trouble but it is all worth it. I don't know where you are going to see them and whether this is necessary as I don't know how close you will be. Happy penguin watching.

Thanks for the info - that is sort of what I expected. :eek:

We are scheduled to see Penquins in Punta Tombo (Puerto Madryn), Magdalena Island ( Punta Arenas), and Bluff Cove (Falklands Islands).

I was seriously thinking about purchasing some inexpensive shoes or boots for these situations.

Thanks,

Mary Lou

• 2 weeks later...

Dave and Katie -

I am interested in how you cleaned your boots after your excursions? Before you boarded the ship? In the cabin? Did you take other shoes to change to before you entered the ship?

Just don't know how to plan for this! :confused:

Thanks,

Mary Lou

I am considering taking some plastic bags and rubber bands to wrap around my shoes--can't decide whether to take boots or not. May look a little tacky for the moment, but the others there would surely understand. We are going to Seno Otway in Punta Arenas. Are there elevated boards or are you among the penguins? I may have to write the agency we have booked the shore excursion through unless someone on this board can help out!

Maria,

Thanks for the website - I will probably order myself a pair of these.

Can you tell me how you handled the logistics of cleaning your boots after your tour? Was there a way to clean them before you went back onboard, or did you put them in a plastic bag and cleaned them after you returned?

Thanks again,

Mary Lou

• 2 weeks later...

Maria,

On the "packing light" web site, there seem to be two different types of boots that you can pull over your shoes. One type is much cheaper than the others. Which type did you buy and could you describe them? (The more expensive ones - I believe they are a "Totes" product - are pictured, but the other ones are not. It is hard to see if they cover your entire shoe or just the bottom and a small part above.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mary Lou

Dear Mary Lou

We visited the Tombo Penguin REserve in Puerto Madryn and also Gypsey Cove in the Falkland Islands. Just wore runners and watched where I walked and no need to clean - it was not bad at all. You stay on the paths and there was no problem. I had worried about smell & there wasn't any to be concerned with.

Ann

Ann, could you let us know (in a general sense) what type of clothing you took/wore on the excursions? I plan to take a Helly Hansen jacket with hood (wind and water proof), fleece hoody, jeans, khakis, gloves, scarf, runners etc. for the windier areas. Since I also live in BC (Lower Mainland area) did you experience any temperatures colder than what we have been experiencing lately? (ignore our present Pineapple Express rain!):( For the sunnier ports, I am packing a pair of shorts, short sleeve tops. Are shorts inappropriate in any ports? TIA for all your help!

MaryLou,

when you're doing the S American rookeries you don't need any special equipment/footwear. in most instances you won't wander through the peguin poo.

for the Antarctic visits you sanitize your wellingtons before and after the excusion and before reboarding the zodiac you clean your boots as well. but, that's when you're truly in the rookery and surrounded by penguins.

Like Franu said, some of the penguins are world class poopers. the Gentoos in particular, they lean over and white streams fly out the back. it's pretty funny as long as you're not in range. I read somewhere recently they can shoot as far as 2 meters! I'm happy I didn't know that before my trip.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived