Big Al's super getaway on the Getaway 11/12-11/19..a review...

big al

We were on the Getaway in March and loved it so much, we've booked it again this coming March - same exact itinerary! We had a great time on HC and found chairs both on the beach and at the pool with no problem. I would love to hear about all your excursions as we are fairly new to cruising - this will only be our 4th. First was on Carnival Breeze, 2nd RCL Vision of the Seas. We thought the food was so much better on the Getaway - and we're Pepsi drinkers so NCL Ian the cruise line for us!! Loved your review!

Thank you for a great review Big Al.

Do you know where people start to line up to do the self walk off the last Day of return?

It is nice that the Captain came to your Meet and Mingle. We sail next Sunday.:D

I think we got off deck 6, but not 100% sure....

Do they serve food on the ship while in harvest cay? Or is there no way around paying for food and drinks that day?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, you can eat on the ship in HC..BUT it's a pretty long walk back to the ship...we got off around 9:30, back on board around 1 & right to the buffet...we did buy a few beers in the Land Shark restaurant ( only place to get draft, which I prefer...)

We were on the Getaway in March and loved it so much, we've booked it again this coming March - same exact itinerary! We had a great time on HC and found chairs both on the beach and at the pool with no problem. I would love to hear about all your excursions as we are fairly new to cruising - this will only be our 4th. First was on Carnival Breeze, 2nd RCL Vision of the Seas. We thought the food was so much better on the Getaway - and we're Pepsi drinkers so NCL Ian the cruise line for us!! Loved your review!

Hi valleegirl- We did the Victor Bodden tour in Roatan called "Best Of Roatan"..it was very good, BUT Roatan was a washout...basically poured most of the day..many others took the "Sun & Fun" tour, but there was very little sun ( basically a beach trip)..the monkeys & sloths were fantastic at the Victor Bodden jungle place...Harvest Caye is a beach & pool day..TIP: Get off the ship NO LATER than 9:30 am if you want a loungers by the massive pool..if not, you will have to go to the beach, which is OK, but many ( including us ) found it a bit "smelly"...water temp fine ..in Costa Maya, we did the Native Choice tour of the Mayan Ruins..outstanding!!!..In Cozumel, we did the Cozumel Bar Hop, which is basically a tour of some beaches & tequila places ( lots of fun...) lunch was included along with some shots of tequila at a factory...Playa St. Martin was awesome for an hour on this tour...beach was perfect and sand was, too..there is a restaurant across the street and we ordered Ceviche & some beers and ate under an umbrella & table provided by a guy who works on the beach...only about 20 people there...highly recommended if you want a beach that's quiet, out of the way & great water ( 82 F!!) and clear...all our tours were A to A+...any more questions, let me know...:D

Big Al

Awesome review! Do you remember what floor you entered on when you arrived on the ship? We want to try and get Vibe passes which we need to purchase at Guest Services. Also I would love to hear what you did in the different ports. Doing this same cruise in February.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you want Vibe passes, be at the port NO LATER than 10 am..maybe even 9:30..We got on I think on deck 6, same as Guest Services, where you get the passes...

Again, thanks to all for your kind words....please ask away on anything I didn't cover..TIP: Make your reservations for the shows ( Million Dollar Quartet, Burn The Floor & Cirque Dinner Show) BEFORE you board...they let those people in first...there is a Box Office on deck 7 forward if you didn't make reservations on line...go there & book all...TIP: Dining outside on The Waterfront was spectacular IF the night is right..ours was perfect- about 80 F & slight breeze...

Big Al :cool:

I also forgot to mention that we had a very good Meet & Mingle in Cagney's at 11 am on our first sea day..Cin took the lead on this and did a great job..even the CAPTAIN showed up :D!!! Very impressive crew as many showed to say hello..they passed out appetizers and drinks and we it was great meeting Cin & hubby, Seatak, Sylvia & Andrea from Peru, and others were there and we met so many all over the ship and even off the ship! We also had a sailaway party in Spice H20 deck 16 aft and met up with some people there... a great time was had by all!!! :cool:

Thanks for the shout out Big Al!

Mike and I had a wonderful time too, and were happy we got to meet so many new friends as well as take a pic with the captain! Don't know when/where we'll be cruising next, but it's always fun meeting folks from our roll call! Here's the one I took of you and the other young ladies from Peru.

20sabg5.jpg

Here's the one of me and Mike with the Captain. (Don't remember his name though?)

2465evr.jpg

Thanks for the shout out Big Al!

Mike and I had a wonderful time too, and were happy we got to meet so many new friends as well as take a pic with the captain! Don't know when/where we'll be cruising next, but it's always fun meeting folks from our roll call! Here's the one I took of you and the other young ladies from Peru.

20sabg5.jpg

Here's the one of me and Mike with the Captain. (Don't remember his name though?)

2465evr.jpg

Hi Cin- Thanks for the pics!!!!..great meeting you all, too..:cool:

Thanks Big Al for the review. What nights is Million Dollar Quartet showing? I can see by posted dailies that the first night is day 5. I’m suprised that it is not playing sooner in the week. Surely it’s showing more than one night:o

Thanks Big Al for the review. What nights is Million Dollar Quartet showing? I can see by posted dailies that the first night is day 5. I’m suprised that it is not playing sooner in the week. Surely it’s showing more than one night:o

Sailing this Sunday on Getaway and MDQ is listed for 2 nights - Thursday and Friday.

Sailing this Sunday on Getaway and MDQ is listed for 2 nights - Thursday and Friday.

MDQ is Thurs & Fri nights 2 shows each night @ 7:30 & 10:15 pm...don't miss..

Thanks for the review and the advice Big Al!!! It was really fantastic. (y)

Did you happen to do the "Escape from the Big Tent"? And if so, what did you think?

There was no "Escape From The Big Tent" that we saw, sorry..we did see the new Cirque Dreams show, and that was terrific!