What Happens to the Photos?

RWayne

I've been wondering why the photos aren't batched the last night and sold at a discount, rather than discarding them.

Before everyone tells me that if that happened, everyone would wait until the last night to buy them, I'll tell you that's likely what would happen.

But, if it did, wouldn't they sell more photos discounted, than those they sell at full (inflated) prices.

I guess I'm being cheap (I'd call it practical), but I'm thinking that if most cruisers bought their photos, albeit at a discounted rate, the cruise lines would reap more money from a majority of discounted photos than a minority of higher priced photos (and a mountain of photos wouldn't have to see the burn pile or shredder, or wherever old unpurchased photos go).

Just a thought - any takers to agree with my theory, or disprove it? Thanks.

First, they are distroyed. Secondly, don't believe they don't make a ton of money on what they sell. If they discounted, everyone who pays those "inflated" prices would wait. I would reasonably believe that they have the prices set for maximum profit, taking into consideration sales volume vs price.

I have wondered the last few years why they haven't gone into some sort of digital photos. Where you could just type in your cabin number or name, up pops the pictures taken of you and then you just choose what you would like and have them delivered to your cabin later that night or the next day.

Seems to me it would save them so much time and money. I know there have been times we couldn't even find our pictures in the mess that covers two-four walls. Either that or we just didn't want to take the time to hunt them out.

I have wondered the last few years why they haven't gone into some sort of digital photos. Where you could just type in your cabin number or name, up pops the pictures taken of you and then you just choose what you would like and have them delivered to your cabin later that night or the next day.

Seems to me it would save them so much time and money. I know there have been times we couldn't even find our pictures in the mess that covers two-four walls. Either that or we just didn't want to take the time to hunt them out.

They have switched to digital cameras, but all the "display stations" that would need to replace those boards so 50 -100 -150 ??? at a time can see there pictures. Plus the cost of the paper and printers vs the display stations would be a cost trade they would have to make to see if it is economically viable. :)

Fantastic idea. One day (soon) you will be able to view them on your TV/monitor in your cabin...

What? And miss the cruise fun of "search and destroy" ? That would take away one of the pleasures of cruising !

Also, if you've noticed they have changed from the older 4x6 format to 5x7, and raised prices accordingly. Digital would give the opportunity to have prints made at a reasonable size and price. Never happen.:rolleyes:

I can't think of the cruise line/ship off the top of my head, but this sort of thing is coming. Assiduous readers of Cruising and Beyond may remember where this is being pioneered.

I think it unlikely that the photo concessions haven't thought about the balance between selling fewer photos at full price and more photos at a discount price. They've probably even tried it to see whether it was more profitable. These businesses don't miss a trick, and I'd bet that they know that it's more profitable the way it is.

Since they are using digital cameras, it would certainly make sense to use a computerized digital format for selling the pics. Such a waste of paper and ink ~

Actually, I never buy photos anymore. First of all, the first few days on our most recent cruises the photos have all been printed on the 8X10 paper, so even though the actual photo is a 5X7 with some fancy border, it sells for the higher price of an 8X10. This size is just too big to frame and sit out on a table with other photos and I refuse to pay the price.

I've found that the first couple of cruises, we wanted a photo as a momento, but now even if we have complimentary photos from the TA, they end up in a box or somewhere out of sight once we get home and we never look at them or show them to others.

Half the fun of searching for your photos is seeing everyone elses!

I love the half opened eyes, the sleeping kids on formal night, the mismatched couples, the beautiful family photos, the different backgrounds and all the interpretations of formal.

I agree it would be better for the environment not to waste all the paper and ink, though.

I spoke to our tablemates on our Sea Princess Cruise 19 Nov - 03 Dec 2005. They told us that they were offered a package deal at the begining of the cruise of, I think, 120.00 for all pictures that are taken - including Embarkation, each port, a formal and I think one at dining table. They took it bacause they thought it was a good price -- and I would agree. We purchased a couple at 19.95 each ( 5x7 ). Each was accompanied by an 8x10 that had a smaller version of the picture in a simulated background such as a picture of the ship or an itinerary route -- both the 5x7 and 8x10 were 19.95. Even with the steep prices it looked like they sold lots of pics. I would check into the package deal. by the way - I do not think the photos can be recycled, cause of the dye pignments used in the inks. I think they just shred them. I would live to see the cost of running the photo shop on these ships -- besides people and materials, they take up a good size of the deck space. I wonder if thy are leased departments like the spas?

While waiting to depart on our last cruise we hung out by the photos. My ever so pushy 11 year old daughter asked one of the workers if she could have her picture. He was willing to give it to her since they were bundling all the photos up to recycle them anyway. Then the workers boss came by and he didn't dare do it then. It was a nice thought. Like a comedian said, they are photos of you they are the ones wanting the pictures so they should pay us for taking them. The comedian said lets all get together and take the photos at the same time, their is more of us and they can't catch us all!

I think it would be nice if they had them available after the cruise is over as well. Perhaps a website, where you could purchase your pictures online for three months, or six months. I suppose they would need some storage area, and a whole new overhead for such an extended business, which would make it unworkable. Sometimes we get too busy to go back and buy one that we liked, or get too frustrated to search for them.

I think it would be nice if they had them available after the cruise is over as well. Perhaps a website, where you could purchase your pictures online for three months, or six months.
Judging from some of the pictures I've seen or had taken, they could make a lot of money charging folks to take the pictures OFF the website. :p

Before I cruise, I get a brown paper sack that fits over my head, and cut out holes for my eyes, nose, and mouth. It's easily folded, and fits nicely into my Wal-Mart beach bag or my Ann Klein evening purse. I can whip that sucker out in no time and put it on whenever the dreaded photographers make their presence known. It's really an altruistic tactic, so that film, paper, and labor are not wasted. Thank Heaven most cruise lines are doing away with the totally obnoxious pirate/parrot combo who shows up during dinner! I swear - I've seen better pictures of myself getting off the Hulk ride at Universal!

Archived