Recommended Cruises to get the Most of NZ & Aussie

Toronto Cruiser

If you really "don't want to miss a thing" in Oz/NZ, then don't just do a cruise. That will only give you a taster of a few things in these two countries. To see most of the main sights, you should really allow at least six weeks touring in each country, preferably more, on top of whatever time you spend on your cruise.

Globaliser is right, many places to see in these countries are best seen with by train and car, with some air thrown in to speed things up. However, if you like to cruise, you should have a good time.

With 5 weeks, here's what you might do:

1 week Sydney (plenty of things to do, including day trips to blue mountains or Hunter Valley wineries)

2 week cruise (check out HAL and Princess, cruises mostly go to cities)

2 weeks NZ (South Island, think about renting a motor home and picking up what you miss on the cruise, such as Queenstown)

You could also replace the two weeks in NZ with one week on the North Island and one week along the Barrier Reef in Australia.

Princess offers a number of pre/post Cruisetours, if you like those.

Wow. Thanks for the intineary. I just didn't know where to start. There are so many places to see. Most people that I talk to say that NewZealand is where it is at and that people who spend more time in Aussie regret it. They say spend as much time in NZ as possible. We will try to do that but will definitely have to visit Aussie for a least a week or two. I like the idea of throwing in a cruise for a week. I love cruising!!! IT's definitely the way to vacation!!!!

Most people that I talk to say that New Zealand is where it is at and that people who spend more time in Aussie regret it.

Hmmm! I'd suggest you speak to different people!!!

Seriously, both countries are wonderful. In a lot of ways they are very different. Although some may disagree with me, I think the one area where there is very little difference is the attitudes, friendliness and character of the people of the two countries. Each time I am in New Zealand I feel totally at home more so than any other country. We have very close historical ties, even more so than some of the different regions of Canada or the US.

What you need to do, given you can't go everywhere and see everything, is to work out what you want to do and see. Do you like cities, nightlife, galleries, restaurants, spectacular scenery, wineries, beaches etc? Or, most likely, all of the above? We are all different and like different things. Do your research and you'll end up with a great vacation.

For me the highlights of the two countries would be Sydney, the Great Barrier Reef and spending some time on one of the Reef islands, staying in the Rainforests in Northern Australia, the thermal areas of the North Island, the Bay of Islands, touring the South Island, the Australian outback, the wine areas of the Yarra Valley and Melbourne. That would give me a great 5 weeks, even without a cruise and I would have an unforgettable holiday. But that's me. What you'll like will depend on the sort of things you like to do and see.

Hi Toronto Cruiser

Some notes from an Aussie (who also loves NZ)!

1. You can see a lot in 5 weeks - need to carefully plan your travel arrangements (and book early), though. Would recommend Cairns (very good access to great day trips to the Reef, and SUV trips to Daintree rainforest area), Sydney (beautiful harbour and sights) and Melbourne and surrounds (great food, easy access to wine region). Can get quite cheap air fares between these cities, and this would be the way to go given time constraints.

2. NZ is spectacular - both islands very different. Sth - mountains, rivers, Christchurch are great. Nth Island - rolling hills, Rotaroua (not to be missed). Particularly good is visit to Rotaroua maori village experience (I think Princess offer it as an excursion).

3. Remember, however, December is height of summer - school holidays, christmas, crowds. Australia (particularly Queensland, North. Territory) is very hot and very humid. Be prepared! (It's 33'c here in Brisbane now, and humidity is 80%).

Finally, RESEARCH carefully any cruises you might be thinking with P&O in Australia - Pacific Sky and Pacific Sun are not 5 star cruising!

Have a great time! Hope this helps.

Not to put pressure on you, but if you want to use frequent flier miles to get to Australia/NZ, or if you are particular about cabin choice for a cruise, you might want to act fairly quickly. I don't know about next year, but my TA says our Feb 2006 HAL Statendam cruise was sold out of balcony cabins many months ago. I booked frequent flier airline seats on United in March 2005 (for Feb 2006 travel), and was lucky to find coach seats (I had to change my original plans by several days both going over and coming back). Its not too early!

Steve

I have to agree with both Turtlemichael and Ozcruiser. They have mapped out what I would suggest would be the highlights of both Australia and New Zealand.

You will find the people in both countries to be friendly and outgoing, in fact you may not even pick up the difference in the accents.

I would forget the cruise as you only see some of the capital cities and then only a very small overview. I feel it is easier to use planes and trains.

Jennie

• 5 months later...

I would forget the cruise as you only see some of the capital cities and then only a very small overview. I feel it is easier to use planes and trains.

Jennie

Jennie - I came to this board to ask about cruising vs land touring, and your post answers my question.

There has been some recent discussion on the Celebrity boards re the new Australia/NZ itineraries. We haven't been to Aus. or NZ yet and when I looked at all the sea days on the cruise itineraries, I felt that I would regret devoting so much time to sea days instead of exploring on land. I really enjoy cruising, but will plan my first trip there by land and air.

It's great to get the opinion of a local:)

Susan-M,

I am glad you found my post to be what you wanted to read. Go back a few posts and read the itinerary that both Turtlemichael and Oz Cruiser have mapped out. If it were my first time over here I would definitely follow their itineraries as you would get a fantastic overview of both countries.

We usually cruise if we want a restful holiday, whereas if you haven't been to a country and want to see the sights, then use other transport. This is particulary true of Australia as it is such a big country and so diverse, there is no way you will see very much if you only visit the very few ports for a day.

Jennie

Thanks Jennie yes, some great info in those posts. I had skimmed over them too quickly when I first read this thread....but they are worthy of printing out and using for future reference!

• 2 weeks later...

You should try a 5 day cruise out of Carins on the Coral Princess . It is a 50 Passenger motor yaht.My wife and i did this about 10 years ago and had a fantastic time. If you like to snorcle ,you will be spoilt for life on the great barrier reef. If you Google Cairns you can prob. find a web site. sorry about the spelling but i am a pirate in my real life !!!!!!!

You should try a 5 day cruise out of Carins on the Coral Princess . It is a 50 Passenger motor yaht.My wife and i did this about 10 years ago and had a fantastic time. If you like to snorcle ,you will be spoilt for life on the great barrier reef. If you Google Cairns you can prob. find a web site. sorry about the spelling but i am a pirate in my real life !!!!!!!

Here's the link

www.coralprincess.com.au

Thre is also Captain Cook Tours

www.captaincook.com.au

And the luxury end small line, Orion, with very interesting tours around the Top End of Australia, the Barrier Reef, New Guinea and other exotic locations.

www.orioncruises.com.au

Michael

• 3 weeks later...

We have booked on the cruise Auckland to NZ as a relaxing holiday as we love cruising. I agree with all the other posts that it doesn't let you see much of our country( Australia). Its a huge place - to see the maximum you would need to fly to The Great Barrier Reef and spend time there then fly to central Australia. The contrast between these two areas of Australia will astound you. Then plan to come back and see Darwin and Kakadu and the West coast and Tasmania.

We live in Australia and fly to these places - too far to drive unless you have plenty of time. A consideration is that if your cruise is in summer then Central Australia is too hot then and cyclone time at the Great Barrier reef. Summer's a good time for Tassie and Perth. Winter for Great Barrier Reef and Central Australia.( if you have the choice)

• 2 months later...
We are thinking of going to Australia/NewZealand next Dec 06. Does anyone recommend a certain cruiseline or tour? What were the highlights of your trip? We don't want to miss a thing! THANKS!!!

if you don't want to miss a thing you should do a 14 day tour of Newzealand. I went on tour with contiki. It is affordable too but the places you stay in are usually basic dorm stlye accomadations, but the locations is usually pretty good. For Australia I would recommed a different tour company so you can have better accommations because with the more expensive tours their accomadation May be on the ocean?? However with thoses tours I think a lot of people on the tour are a lot older like 55-85. With Contiki they are 18-35 however they all like to stay out very late and drink and atleast some sleep through the beautiful scenery you see on the coach

• 9 months later...

Archived