Verizon and Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman ports?

zorky12

I posted on Verizon message board asking how international usage works and nobody is responding. We have Verizon unlimited plan and it includes Canada and Mexico. We are purchasing the Travel Pass add on for our cruise dates to use our phones in Jamaica and Grand Cayman for $10 per phone per day. From what I understand its no extra hidden charges other than the flat fee.

Here is the question. I am reading that you immediately want to put your phone on airplane mode in port so it doesn't charge you while your away. Since I have this travel pass add on will I need to do this? Am I going to be charged by Carnival also? Is there anyway other than putting in airplane mode to prevent connecting to Carnival's cellular service? We want to use our phones in port without the risk of some extra charges from Carnival. Does anyone have any advice? I just don't want to have a huge surprise from Verizon or Carnival at the end of our cruise..

They make it pretty confusing.

Travel Pass for qualified countries in which all of the ones we are going to are covered.

$10.00/Day

$0.00/minute

Unlimited sent messages

Unlimited incoming messages

$0.00 data allowance

Cruise Ship Rates

Cruise ship Pay as You Go pricing

Voice $2.99/minute

$0.50/message sent$0.05/message received

Once in port I believe carnival turns off their cellular, not 100% positive. I know when I took mine off of airplane mode in Mexico it connected to a land tower when we were docked. On the ship we just put them on airplane mode and turn on WiFi to use the Carnival Hub app.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yea I called Verizon too, and they way the guy explained it to me was you can choose the $10 per day flat fee which only included covered countries or the pay as you go cruise ship rates which can be used anywhere in the world even not in covered countries.

Used it both recently in Nassau and last year in Bermuda. There's no hidden fees, its confusing and a little difficult for first timers, because you have to restart the phone etc, sometimes it doesn't connect right away but eventually it works and then have regular service. Second time around, my phone switched over no problem but my phone was still marked for receiving international calls where as my niece I had to have my sister call verzion and get me directions which actually worked out.

But I do suggest airplane mode, because I took my phone off airplane mode for a split second and got a "warning message" saying I was connected to the ship. The pass doesn't cover the ship and you only get 1-2 gbs of data too, it is not unlimited.