New Guidelines Prevention of Travelers Diarrhea

TiogaCruiser

Not sure I'd call a recommendation from the International Society of Travel Medicine "snake oil". :confused: And washing hands won't help if you've eaten tainted food or water.

Once someone has had tainted food and water, nature will just has to take its course.

Stay hydrated and rest.

Sandra

Once someone has had tainted food and water, nature will just has to take its course.

Stay hydrated and rest.

Sandra

Not completely true. Depending on where you are eating you might have to deal with bacterial infections (which often need specific antibiotic treatment) or parasitic infections which require special treatment (best handled by physicians well schooled in tropical issues. In fact, we had a good friend who contracted a potentially severe parasite (while traveling south of the border) and had to return home (to Chicago) for treatment at a major medical center. A family member once contracted a parasite which eventually moved into his brain and caused major issues (including severe seizures). This required very specialized treatment and he now must take anti-seizure meds...probably for the rest of his life.

So, while most GI things do resolve themselves, there are also a number that require aggressive treatment.

Hank

Bismuth is effective against some bacteria. I’ve been aware of it providing some protection against some sub types of shigella. There have been several studies that show prevention, (off label use) but I was surprised to see it actually come out in evidence based guidelines.

Q6hr means “every 6 hours”.

H. pylori bacteria is a common cause of ulcers in humans - about 70% of ulcers are caused by it.

Bismuth in the form of Pepto Bismol, which is toxic to some bacteria, along with a prescribed amount of amoxicillin can bring about a cure to the ulcers in a couple of weeks.

So I can see Pepto bringing some temporary relief to those with bacteria caused stomach problems.