Is too cold to go beach and ocean in December?

zhangf

We usually go to Caribbean islands with cruise ships in summer...however we decide to have a difference experience by going in Dec this year...I checked the weather forecast and noticed that the average temperature on these islands will be 80 - 85F degree during our visiting at end of Dec ...Questions: is this too cold to be staying on beach, and going to ocean swimming? someone told be the ocean water in Caribbean is always warm for swimming, is that true?...any advices please, thanks in advance!

Kind of surprised to note that the OP lives in Maryland and questions going to the beach when temps are in the low 80s. This is normal for the Caribbean and is perfect for the beach...and would also be perfect for Ocean City, MD :). Ocean water temps in the Caribbean are generally in the upper 70s to low 80s throughout the year which is generally warmer than the Maryland beaches at the height of the season. We were in St Thomas last week, and it felt much hotter than 80 (probably near 85).

Hank

Agree with Bill, ocean water temps in December are very nice, at least for visitors. You may see bigger swells depending on weather conditions, but you should enjoy a nice day at the beach and in the water. Pools on the other hand can be quite cool...

We were just on the Oasis of the Seas (12/10/17 sailing). We have sailed many times in December, no problem swimming, it’s warm and has been beautiful. But this trip’s weather was less than ideal. We had only 1 sunny day and in Jamaica I had on a sweater. The temp was 70, it was overcast (and spotty rain) but the wind was so strong it was quite nippy. So, if a cold front comes though you “could” have a problem.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were just on the Oasis of the Seas (12/10/17 sailing). We have sailed many times in December, no problem swimming, it’s warm and has been beautiful. But this trip’s weather was less than ideal. We had only 1 sunny day and in Jamaica I had on a sweater. The temp was 70, it was overcast (and spotty rain) but the wind was so strong it was quite nippy. So, if a cold front comes though you “could” have a problem.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Air temps can vary depending on the weather conditions, of course, and the ocean water temp varies slightly but stays quite consistent throughout the year. We’re not fond of cool water, and we’ve never had a problem entering the water any time of year in the Carib. Unheated pools are a different story...:o