Any tips for first Timer trying Princess on the Crown Princess?

jewliana

I have gotten SO much useful information from these boards as I have cruised over the past few years so I wanted to ask you if there are any special tips for a first time Princess Cruiser?

Thanks in advance for your help!

In particular we are going without a drink package for the 1st time. It was just too expensive! I purchased a small bottle for my husband to be delivered and we will bring 1 bottles of wine. Are there any drink specials throughout the cruise?

Anything I should know about getting seats at various entertainment venues?

Anything we should NOT miss on the menus?

Do they make a good hamburger and hot dog somewhere on board?

Is there a specialty drink we should not miss?

I have gotten SO much useful information from these boards as I have cruised over the past few years so I wanted to ask you if there are any special tips for a first time Princess Cruiser?

Thanks in advance for your help!

In particular we are going without a drink package for the 1st time. It was just too expensive! I purchased a small bottle for my husband to be delivered and we will bring 1 bottles of wine. Are there any drink specials throughout the cruise?

Anything I should know about getting seats at various entertainment venues?

Anything we should NOT miss on the menus?

Do they make a good hamburger and hot dog somewhere on board?

Is there a specialty drink we should not miss?

Looking at your cruise history , you really shouldn't be surprised by much. We have found that Princess is quite similar to X than some other lines we have sailed.

Specifically to your questions :

1. As we don't drink a great deal other than the wine I consume for me heart, I don't have a suggestion for a special drink. At times, Princess will offer a two for $1 more than the cost of the first. Also, you each will be able to bring a .750 litre of wine. We have found that Princess is more liberal with waiving the corkage charges for wine brought in from ports. We have found that when we try a wine from those wine producing ports that we may be visiting, most times the security staff tell us to enjoy it. Should you choose to bring that wine to a dining venue, a $15 corkage will be applied.

2. We have found that the burger served on the Lido deck is decent. They also serve a "deluxe " burger on the main dining room menu each evening. I have found that this offering is every bit as good as the fried chicken which isn't good either. Stick with the Lido and make sure they cook it properly, it will be decent. Their brats and dogs on Lido are quite good.

3. The later shows tend to fill early unless they are doing three shows in which case the middle show will fill early. Try to get in around 20 minutes before the early show or 30 minutes before the late (middle) show. Bring a book, people watch, or meet some of your fellow passengers and the time will go quickly.

Most of all, go with the intent of having good time and you will have that good time. Enjoy your cruise.

You didn't ask, but, if you are any kind of a foodie, two really nice Princess offerings are the Ultimate Balcony Dinner and the Chef's Table.

The Ultimate Balcony Dinner is a very nice multi-course meal--hors d'oeuvres, appetizer, salad, entree, dessert, petit fours) in your suite. Two servers are dedicated to you for the duration of the meal. A half-bottle of Champagne and a cocktail (we always order glasses of wine) are included. Also included are a photograph and a nice floral centerpiece for your table which will last in your room for four or five more days. Cost is $100 for a couple.

The Chef's Table is a fun event that is done once per cruise for a group of 10-14 passengers. You are hosted by the ship's Maitre d'Hotel and the Executive Chef. You meet someplace on the ship, are issued white lab coats and proceed to the galley. You get a very thorough tour of the galley and, then, enjoy Champagne and hors d'oeurves--some of which have already been prepared and some of which the chef will prepare in front of you. You will, then, proceed to your specially reserved table in the dining room--as you leave the galley, you turn in your white coat. At your table a photographer will take a group shot of the entire party and, then, individual shots of each couple with the Chef and the Maitre d'. The meal is, again, a multi-course event accompanied with white and red wines. At least one course will be prepared table-side and all the meats will be carved table-side. It's pretty decadent. I know the price is a little higher now, but when I did it, the tarriff was $95pp. However, if you did not want to drink any alcohol there was a $15 discount.

Happy Hour--Normally there are two a day, at 3PM and 11PM. The deal is two-for-one plus $1. Be sure to try a Chairman of the Board--yum! If you like bottled beer, you can ask the waiter to leave to caps on and take them back to your fridge.

We love the Chef's Table and the Ultimate Balcony Dinner. Both are wonderful. We tried the Ultimate Balcony Breakfast but wouldn't do it again; too much food for two people.

We were on the Crown for five weeks this summer and hated to leave. Really like Sabatini's and the Adagio bar next door.

Shows: Theater or Explorers: Show up AT LEAST 30 minutes early.

Additional Drinks: Sparkling Wine at Tower of Death, Art Auctions, Sparkling wine prizes for "Winning" various games - Trivia, ring toss, egg drop, etc

Burgers and Dogs: at the pool grill, Please ask for a fresh cooked burger, but be prepared to wait a bit. Sausages and Dogs are good...Don't eat the sauerkraut. Also, Fresh Onion Rings Only.

Specialty Drink--- Many love the Dirty Banana.

Specialty foods - Many love the MDR off menu Volcano... Banana Split, Crown Grill ($29) the steaks are usually very good., Horizon Court -- Good variety of sausages every morning, Juice available for free at breakfast.(Orange, Apple, Tom, Cranberry, Prune, others), MDR dinner- Lamb items are quite good, Salmon is good, Seafood Skewers are good, Medallions are good. ---- Don't get mesmerized by the Prime Rib - Choose something else.

Carpets in your hallway have a special color to them.