Another Fort Lauderdale hotel question...

markeb

I hate to ask something that I might find with a search, but here's the question:

We return from a cruise on Equinox on March 31st. Our flight options that day on our preferred airline were too early or 3X as expensive. We can spend the day in Miami/Fort Lauderdale for less than the increased cost of flying out that afternoon, although we have to take the 8:47 flight for that math to work. The only times we've been in Fort Lauderdale, we've stayed at or near the cruise port for Port Everglades cruises.

I prefer Marriott properties. Right now, I've got the Fort Lauderdale Marriott Harbor Beach Resort & Spa booked for the one night, which appears to be close to the airport, and on the beach. It is pricey, but we may stick with it anyway. (I can stay on points if I decide it's worth it; tend to save points for Europe where this room might be the same price in GBP.) The hotel should allow us to extend our vacation by a day. We may or may not get in a room when we arrive, but I have enough Marriott status that I'm pretty sure we can get resort access until the room is available. We don't want to be stuck at the airport for our last vacation day in an airport hotel near nothing. We also don't really want to deal with the hour ride to FLL from Miami for a relatively early flight.

Is there another area in the FLL area we should cross shop? I don't know that we'd find a better location (in a Marriott) for the beach, but just don't know that area.

Thanks!

Interesting alternative. I was probably searching for AAA rates, and they don't have one.

Never stayed at a Vacation Club property. Looks like it's across the street from the beach rather than on it, but significantly less expensive. Booked as an alternative.

That would probably make the option of a one way rental more attractive, just to add to the planning and confusion...

You might take a look at the Courtyard Marriott on Fort Lauderdale beach. Is has a pool, is right across the road from the beach, and there are lots of shops and restaurants nearby. The Harbor Beach is really nice, but sort of a long walk to anything else. What if it rains?

That is kind of the question, in a nutshell. The Harbor Beach looks great, if the weather's good and we're not "beached out".

I suppose the alternative would be to stay in Miami. I have a reservation at the Marriott Biscayne Bay when we were thinking mid-day flight. At 6:00 a.m., I can't imagine it would take more than a half hour to get back to FLL. We wouldn't have a beach, but there's plenty to do in the area...

I’m not sure if Marriott and Starwood have fully reciprocal points yet, but I used Starwood points for the W in Fort Lauderdale and only have to pay the $30 resort fee. You might call the Marriott call center and find someone knowledgeable- the person I talked to checked into all of the properties for me to compare rates.

I’m not sure if Marriott and Starwood have fully reciprocal points yet, but I used Starwood points for the W in Fort Lauderdale and only have to pay the $30 resort fee. You might call the Marriott call center and find someone knowledgeable- the person I talked to checked into all of the properties for me to compare rates.

You can transfer your points back and forth between Marriott and Starwood, the rate is 3 to 1.

You can transfer your points back and forth between Marriott and Starwood, the rate is 3 to 1.

Yeah. Haven't really looked at the ratio. Elite status is reciprocal, but they're still fighting how to combine the programs (lifetime Gold with SPG). Having gone through United/Continental, I don't expect the result to be in my favor...

I'll have to look at the W just for curiosity. Looking back, I guess my real question was beach or somewhere else. If we stayed in Miami, we could spend a good chunk of the day in the Design District if we wanted to. If we stayed in Lauderdale, the beach resort looks interesting, assuming decent weather. I just don't know Fort Lauderdale well enough to pick anything other than beach...

We stayed at the Courtyard Marriott FLL Beach the nights pre and post our Thanksgiving week cruise. Like you, we found the flights home on the day of disembarkation either too early, or terribly expensive later in the day, especially since it was a holiday weekend. We actually saved money by spending an extra night😊.

We found this hotel extremely accommodating to our requested early check-in on the day we left the ship- we had a room by 1030am!! So we had the entire day to enjoy FLL.

It's a great location, right next to Bubba Gumps and across the street from Coconuts. There is also a casual Bistro in the hotel.

The helpful concierge arranged a private car to make sure we got to the airport for our 7am flight.

We would definitely stay there again.

Edited by SusieKay