Review ... live from the Viking Sky!

kjbacon

The weather has been rather rainy so for those of you sailing soon, pack accordingly as this is the rainy season down here. There are unmbrellas provided but a hooded rain jacket or wind breaker would be useful.

The internet is slow, free but slow! We’ve also found that we cannot get the sports we had hoped to. We are going to miss another Eagles game!

Last night we tried the new Chef’s Table menu: Xiang. We enjoyed it but it was not a home run. The main course of Beef Stir Fry was the best dish of the menu and the dessert of Mango Cream was the least successful dish. Still, the atmosphere and style of that restaurant is our favorite.

Thanks for packing suggestion. We will be boarding in one more week the Sky. It sounds from your posts the trip has exceeded your expec5tations. Send us an update to describe New Year's aboard ship plus any tips before we leave would be appreciated. Are you planning on an extension after cruise?.

New Years was wonderful! While we did not enjoy the port of Colon or our excursion, we did enjoy the New Years festivities on the ship. The main restaurant served Broiled Lobster that was quite good and there was a dance party with a band on the pool deck. We spent the evening with our new friends in the Explorers Lounge getting way too much value out of the Silver Beverage Package!! Just before midnight, the City of Colon treated us to multiple fireworks displays and Viking poured the champagne. On New Year’s Day with the Panama Canal for our backdrop, the Winter Garden had a spectacular Brunch with Seafood, Caviar, and all kinds of goodies, complete with a huge 2018 ice carving.

New Years was wonderful! While we did not enjoy the port of Colon or our excursion, we did enjoy the New Years festivities on the ship. The main restaurant served Broiled Lobster that was quite good and there was a dance party with a band on the pool deck. We spent the evening with our new friends in the Explorers Lounge getting way too much value out of the Silver Beverage Package!! Just before midnight, the City of Colon treated us to multiple fireworks displays and Viking poured the champagne. On New Year’s Day with the Panama Canal for our backdrop, the Winter Garden had a spectacular Brunch with Seafood, Caviar, and all kinds of goodies, complete with a huge 2018 ice carving.

Sounds like Viking did a great job on all of their ships with their NEW YEARS brunch and celebrations.

Colon is not a port you want to linger or walk around. I did a private tour to Portobello when we were there a number of years ago. We saw the Gatun locks landside, then to Portobello for a walking tour. it was discovered by Columbus on his last voyage . The trail from SA ended at the harbor where Spanish ships were loaded with silver and goods to shipping back to Spain. It was also destroyed by the privateer Drake along with Panama City back in the days of Spanish colonialism.

The weather has been rather rainy so for those of you sailing soon, pack accordingly as this is the rainy season down here. There are unmbrellas provided but a hooded rain jacket or wind breaker would be useful.

The internet is slow, free but slow! We’ve also found that we cannot get the sports we had hoped to. We are going to miss another Eagles game!

Last night we tried the new Chef’s Table menu: Xiang. We enjoyed it but it was not a home run. The main course of Beef Stir Fry was the best dish of the menu and the dessert of Mango Cream was the least successful dish. Still, the atmosphere and style of that restaurant is our favorite.

Thanks for the warning about rain. Looks like my hooded goretex jacket will be used alot.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for all the information. I am hoping since January and February are dry seasons for Central America it will prevail. Every cruise is different and what one experiences it may not be for the others. The threads have been so helpful and hope my experience is as good as the others describe. One last question how much are you tipping the excursion guides? Is it necessary?

Yes, most everyone tips the guides. I’d say it’s about a couple dollars per person or $5 per couple.

We had the new French Bistro menu at the Chef’s Table last night and they have another hit! It was fabulous. The first course was one of the best soups that I have ever had, so full of flavor and topped with puff pastry. Next was a cheese and mushroom pastry that was delicious. Granita was a wine and creme de cassis combo, very refreshing. We have a split on the sole quenelle main course: my husband felt it lacked flavor and I found it to be delicate. The raspberry Napoleon was simply prepared and very good. A great menu and a great evening!

I wish I could agree with the OP. We were on the Viking Sky on the cruise just before his, 12/17-12/24. We have been sailing on Crystal for several years, and although we had many great experiences, we were becoming tired of their menus, which seemed to be recycled every few weeks. The one week Viking Caribbean cruise seemed to be an ideal one to share with our adult children, who could not take off for more than one week.

I agree that the Viking Sky is a beautiful ship. The staterooms and the public areas are fantastic. The beds are very comfortable. The elevators seem to arrive in seconds. The in-room televisions are amazing, although they were non-functional for one day.

Unfortunately, that is where the positives end. Problems started at embarkation. All of us received paperwork indicating that we would embark at Miami Cruise Terminal J. No, the ship was actually at cruise terminal F, where the signage indicated that it was the Viking Sea. Check in was very smooth and efficient, although one of the porters hit my son up for a tip, indicating that it was required. My son had never been on a cruise ship, and gave him a generous tip. Not Viking's fault? Possibly, but a cruise line often using this terminal should have some control over the conduct of the port staff.

After boarding, we went to the bar and, as suggested by a Cruise Critic posting, asked to compare the included wines with those in the Silver Beverage Package before we decided to purchase the package. "Sorry, the included wines are only available in the dining room."

Our children (age 30 and 36) had not been permitted to make specialty restaurant reservations, because they were in a Deluxe Veranda stateroom, and we made our reservations on short notice. We were in a Veranda Penthouse and made the restaurant reservations for the two of us a month before the cruise. After embarkation, we promptly went to the World Cafe to change our reservations to a table for four. Although it was a busy embarkation day, only one of the two computer terminals there was staffed, and we were forced to wait in line for a half hour before being told that none of the early reservation times were available for a group of four. Bad start.

We had dinner that evening at the Chef's Table. The food was underwhelming, at best. The entree was called "Peking duck", but it was so dry that it tasted like cardboard. The "paired wines" were of poor quality, as were all the wines we tried, even with the Silver Beverage package." We are not wine connoisseurs, but these wines were just so disappointing. Some research reveled that they were available ashore for $5-$6 a bottle.In every restaurant, it seemed to take forever, first to find the wine steward (If thereare any trained sommeliers, we never encountered one.), place our order, and then wait for the wine steward to find the bottle. I timed it one time, 25 minutes from being seated to receiving our beverages. It was that way every evening.

Service in the dining room was mechanical, at best. We sat down, received menus, and then were asked to order, even if we had not had the opportunity to order our wine, much less sample it. We were expected to order our dessert when ordering our entrees, which seemed strange. We were served by multiple wait-staff at each meal and found it difficult to find any staff if there were issues during the meal. Requests for smaller portions or multiple appetizers were often ignored. On one occasion. my son said he would like to order several appetizers for the table to share. He was told no, each person had to order his own appetizer. Some food was served luke warm or cold. Lamb was ordered medium-rare, and it arrived well done. Steaks were tough. I could go on and on.

Room service was no better. Eggs were served without salt or pepper on one occasion. When we received them, salt shakers were always clogged, so that one could only obtain salt by removing the filler plug at the bottom. Orders were often incorrectly filled. On one occasion, pancakes and eggs were ordered.Only the eggs arrived. Another time, boiled eggs that were never ordered arrived with our breakfast.

Beverage service at the pool was non-existent. In one week, I was never asked if I wished to order a drink at poolside. At the bars, service was slow. I do not expect to wait ten minutes or longer at the bar before my order is taken.

We had toured a Viking ship recently when we were on another cruise line, and were docked next to the Viking ship. We were so impressed with the appearance of the like new ship that we planned to schedule all of our future vacations with Viking. After our this cruise, however, we would never consider another Viking vacation. It is really a shame, because they seem to have so much potential.

We also don't agree with the OP. We found our experience with the same cruise worse than our prior experience with Clebrity cruises. Here is our Review:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=602844&et_cid=2929165&et_rid=181887424&et_referrer=boards_a

I hope it us not that bad. Viking has done a wonderful job on the river cruises. Hoping the Viking Star ocean cruise will be enjoyable. :cool:

I was on the June cruise and we had a terrific time. Did I like every meal section I made, no . Did I have an issue in my cruise, yes but the staff handled it appropriately. Did I enjoy every show, for the most part yes. We had a great time at the shows. Had a great time in both included and optional tours, only problem was for some rude guests on one of our tours. We did each of the speciality restaurants for three evenings each. Buffet was great and you could have food especially cooked your way. The restaurant had lobster night and it was cooked just right. Great variety in food. Didn’t try the afternoon tea but that’s because the pool grill was so outrageous. We had the silver spirit beverage package and we had a great time trying different drinks. Mostly the drinks were recommended. One member saw that I was a little under the weather and wanted to make me a hot drink. Rooms are great, I’m a heavy packer but I never had a problem finding space. I even had room for my walker. I met the ceo and his daughter, very nice and accessible even thought he thought New Yorkers were demanding, it was a joke. You’ll have a great time, is it better than other cruise lines, that’s an individual choice. Ocean is different than river do you can’t compare. I like them both over other cruise lines. I also like the air plus so I don’t mind paying the extra money.

I hope it us not that bad. Viking has done a wonderful job on the river cruises. Hoping the Viking Star ocean cruise will be enjoyable. :cool:

To add to the other poster - I did do the afternoon teas in the Wintergarden and they were great. Went by myself since that doing these things are not my hubby's thing to do. Worked out fine. Joined a mother/daughter on the first time and we had a great time. Were neighbors in the sense that they live in the DC metro area - different state. You pick whatever kind of tea you like and they bring it to you along with a multilayered tray to share with all kinds of goodies Inc little tea sandwiches.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

To add to the other poster - I did do the afternoon teas in the Wintergarden and they were great. Went by myself since that doing these things are not my hubby's thing to do. Worked out fine. Joined a mother/daughter on the first time and we had a great time. Were neighbors in the sense that they live in the DC metro area - different state. You pick whatever kind of tea you like and they bring it to you along with a multilayered tray to share with all kinds of goodies Inc little tea sandwiches.

For future cruisers on Viking Ocean you do not have to have tea at the afternoon teas. Over two cruises I went to tea 4 times. Each time I ordered a dark beer and they were happy to bring it ( I did have to pay as it is not dinner time). I went for the treats and beer and my wife was happy with the tea and the treats. Win Win

For future cruisers on Viking Ocean you do not have to have tea at the afternoon teas. Over two cruises I went to tea 4 times. Each time I ordered a dark beer and they were happy to bring it ( I did have to pay as it is not dinner time). I went for the treats and beer and my wife was happy with the tea and the treats. Win Win

[emoji1360]

On our cruise we did not do the Wintergarden tea. It looked terrific. The 3 piece orchestra was playing. I walked by several times to find it completely full, so arrive early or on time as it was very popular on our cruise. It overflows into the adjoining lounges by the pool.

I busted Viking chops at the full setting by asking, "So, I guess you need to show a British passport to get in?"

We are in the home stretch with one sea day to go and then back home, to reality, snow, and bitter cold.

We’ve had a great trip. We’ve met so many nice people and have really bonded with several couples that I hope to sail again with!

The crew on this ship is phenomenal and we’ve observed how well the crew gets along with each other. Senior staff is respected by junior staff but we saw no fear like we’ve seen on other ships. The officers are easily accessible and approachable. They dine in the World Cafe and their balance of professionalism and down to earth friendliness is really quite impressive.

Areas of strength include this fabulous crew, the food, the casual atmosphere, and this gorgeous but unpretentious ship. An area of weakness is the ports of call on this itinerary so do your research and be prepared. We’ve had good excursions and many fun times but these are deeply impoverished countries that you need to be ready for.