Unexpected Cancelation Question

Gardyloo2

I planned to take my adult child with me on a last minute cruise next month. Originally their work said no problem, but are now saying there might be a series of meetings and they’re not sure if they can go. They won’t have a decision until two weeks from now, and the trip leaves in three weeks.

My cruise insurance covers most things, but don’t know about this.

At the beginning of planning, I was going to go by myself, and expected to pay the 100% solo fee. And so while it’d be nice to get their money back, I expected to pay the whole thing anyway and don’t want to be rebooked at a possible higher price.

My main concern and question is: Might I be denied boarding because both of us aren’t there? This ships boards in Central America if it makes a difference.

I’ll call my TA tomorrow, they’re closed today. If it happened in the US, I’d say no big deal, the ship sails without them. But does anyone have experience with this type of thing with a non-US boarding?

As the other responses have said there should be no problem with you boarding solo.

But if you are hoping for some reimbursement from your insurance you need to check the policy carefully. Even some policies with liberal cancel-for-any-reason coverage still require formal cancellation a certain interval before sailaway time and would not pay for a "no show" unless there is a covered reason (illness or specific emergency).

Thanks everyone! I don't need reimbursement, just don't want to be stuck without being able to go myself.

However I'll look at the policy to see if work is a covered event; I mean why not. Work hasn't decided whether the meetings will happen; I suspect the decision won't be made until some of the higher ups return from their holidays.

Happy New Year to you all!