Nautica - Any Reviews yet ??

brian_uk

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I were on the inaugural cruise. I will not attempt a real review, but can say that we could not have been more pleased. There may have been some passengers who didn't feel the same way, but if so we certainly didn't run into them. To mention just a couple of things, the food was the best we have ever tasted on any ship (our last cruise was with Radisson, no slouch in the food department) and was of consistent quality throughout the 24 days. The entertainment was amazingly good for such a small ship, and there were a number of interesting lecturers. The only thing I found to whine about was that the Internet costs 95 cents a minute.

We just returned from the inaugural Nov. 28th sailing for 24 days and want to say how pleased we were. We were a bit apprehensive after sailing consistently on Radisson for five years ( a fabulous 35-day South America one last year), but it compared very favorably in many ways. The food and service were excellent. We were disappointed in dinner in Tapas but a dinner buffet is just not to our taste. We had a penthouse suite which was very roomy with lots of storage space. I too found the Internet charge at $.95/minute excessive since dial-up service was very slow (time really was money), and the liquor and wine too expensive, but we did indulge every night in a bottle of wine. I would highly recommend the Nautica. Of course, everything was rewly renovated and clean for this trip.

We too have just returned from the cruise. The service was excellent, the food was boring after a while, it needs to be spiced up, but when you are catering to 65 plus year olds I guess that is acceptable, we just asked for the chilli flakes etc.

The alcohol prices were disgraceful, but they do not mind what you take on board,

The laundry facilities were pathetic, we sent every thing out and that is very expensive. The scenes in the laundry with one iron for 685 passengers got very ugly.

Toscana and Polo served very good food but again with a set menu after a few visits it was a bore.

The entertainment was generally of a middle of the road standard maybe poor, would be a better description.

Very nice stateroom, great service, bland food, the tours were not great considering the venues, try a 13 hour trip with 6 hours on a bus and no food for 9 hours, not good. I could list several other failures but in the end we just hired a car and guides.

All in all I wil travel with them again but I will be much wiser the next time around.

"The alcohol prices were disgraceful, but they do not mind what you take on board, "

Unless they upped the prices since we sailed on the Insignia a year ago, I found the prices for drinks to be much less than we pay here in San Francisco at fine restaurants where $14.00 Martinis are not unknown and $45.00 corkage fees are known to exist.

Sorry, Digby, but the comparison is unfair. Few people (or cities) are accustomed to $15 martinis & $45 corkage fees. Lets compare apples & apples. Why does this board seem to have a trend of attacking those who offer constructive OBSERVATIONS from the cruises they have personally witnessed? It's very caddy, to say the least.

The interior is nearly identical to the sister ships (Regatta and Insignia). I took lots of photos on our Singapore to Hong Kong cruise, but most were of the excursions and not of the ship. The Oceania brochures show many interior photos of the ships and are of better quaility than I could produce.

Archived