Child proof balcony door liberty of the seas

merknerk

Snarky response not required. Does the lock engage automatically?

The response seemed pretty fair given you are effectively ignoring what had been written earlier. No three year old will be able to open the door with or without the child-lock engaged. Let's suppose that they could and that they did; now we have a child on a balcony with a high railing over which they can't accidentally fall.

There simply is no plausible scenario where a three year old will fall to their death from a balcony on an RCL cruise ship; murder by an adult accepted.

I commented on another post where someone was concerned with staying on a balcony with a 3 year old. My first cruise with my babies (3 year old triplets) was on a balcony. The door had a lock at the top and the door was very heavy and hard to open, the kids wouldn't have been able to open it. I did talk with them and explained the dangers of being out on the balcony. They were never allowed out there without me, I didn't take any chances. They weren't allowed on the chairs or the table, to be honest they weren't on the balcony much at all. Once the curtain was closed they didn't even remember there was a door there. When you have little ones you just have to watch them, make sure the door is locked at night. The cabin is pitch black at night so nobody will be able to get into anything in the dark. Enjoy your cruise!

My 3 year old could slide the door open easily. But the railings are very high. I had two rules- don't go out there without an adult... and don't stand on the table or chairs. My kids can be ornery, but when they understood that there are sharks and whales in the water below, they had no interest in breaking the rules.

My 3 year old could slide the door open easily. But the railings are very high. I had two rules- don't go out there without an adult... and don't stand on the table or chairs. My kids can be ornery, but when they understood that there are sharks and whales in the water below, they had no interest in breaking the rules.

You child must be very strong.

My 10yo who is in the 97th percentile for height couldn't open the door by himself in 2016 as a 9yo but could in 2017.

He, my 13yo and my wife could not slide the door at all just using fingers on glass. They had to use the lever which is mounted about 4'6" above the floor.

I am a 6'4 300lb ex footballer and I could only just slide the door with fingers on glass. Forgive me if I strongly doubt your 3yo could easily slide those balcony doors if they weren't already partly open.

You child must be very strong.

My 10yo who is in the 97th percentile for height couldn't open the door by himself in 2016 as a 9yo but could in 2017.

He, my 13yo and my wife could not slide the door at all just using fingers on glass. They had to use the lever which is mounted about 4'6" above the floor.

I am a 6'4 300lb ex footballer and I could only just slide the door with fingers on glass. Forgive me if I strongly doubt your 3yo could easily slide those balcony doors if they weren't already partly open.

If you don't believe me it won't hurt my feelings! But, I don't attempt to gain popularity on CC by bragging about my 3-year-old's ninja skills. Haha. Perhaps ours had a fresh coat of WD-40? This picture was my 1.5 year old. As you can see, he can reach that handle quite easily. But he could only open it if it was already ajar. :cool:enhance

Do the doors slide or swing out. We have been on a few cruises and some of those doors are hard for me to open.

i will second this i may not have been on that ship but was on the golden and those doors are hard to open i kept thinking it was locked when i was not , agree there are chairs out there too fence is higher then a 3 yr old is only thing is the chairs just the worry but i think someone would be out there with him or her if they were out there but other then that

Edited by Hawka

If you don't believe me it won't hurt my feelings! But, I don't attempt to gain popularity on CC by bragging about my 3-year-old's ninja skills. Haha. Perhaps ours had a fresh coat of WD-40? This picture was my 1.5 year old. As you can see, he can reach that handle quite easily. But he could only open it if it was already ajar. :cool:enhance

Which ship/cabin?

It looks like an accessible cabin which will have a much lower lever and be easier for a wheelchair user to open. I say this because the cabins I have been in also had a higher sill at the bottom to prevent water egress.

The little one already looks like he'd keep you busy at 18 m!

I agree with all the posters about how heavy, hard to slide the doors are. Also agree that railings are high, but still would not leave a young child with a chair/table to climb on.

I would be more concerned with "escaping " through the cabin door into the hallway. I've sailed a lot of ships and I think some have chain/or similar security fold over . I would put something on cabin door- a picture or something the child would recognize on the cabin door, so at least he would know the cabin. There are lots of alerts to put on the door that would wake you should he try to open cabin door; even simple things like bells.

Which ship/cabin?

It looks like an accessible cabin which will have a much lower lever and be easier for a wheelchair user to open. I say this because the cabins I have been in also had a higher sill at the bottom to prevent water egress.

The little one already looks like he'd keep you busy at 18 m!

We were on Indy. 7214. One of the end-balcony rooms with a connecting room. We sail in March on Liberty. I wonder if the doors will be different on that ship.

Oh yes, he is my wild child. But he's also irresistibly soft and sweet at times. He'll be 3.5 on our spring cruise.