Viking Sun World Cruise ongoing review/comments

Jim Avery

It seems there have been a million things to get done in order to be away from home 4 months. Viking helps with Visas and, of course, makes it easy to pay but even stuff like prescriptions are somewhat of a hassle. Over 90 days supply can cause many insurance plans heartburn. And I have never been on a cruise ship for 4 months. Used to work at sea and often be gone 6 months or so but that was work. Mostly not fun. Will try to give a real time feeling for what it is like. I know there are a few times we will look at the sea days after a long tour port as being very welcome.

FYI, the visas required in the next WC are only two . Australia and New Zealand. Easy ! You would be surprised about the the cost of drugs when you tell them you’re paying for them . Get a I pad and tape your favorite music for the times you feel melancholy! Just teach yourself to unwind ! 4b395f4ce51cb3f0ae996b9e80ee4cb6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

One thing we are learning with the long and complex planning involved is to be patient. For example, our passports were gone for 5 months for the various visa processes. Viking was very helpful in the process as we had heard how "picky" most embassies were. Especially India. But all went well and our passports are now full of fancy official bits of paper. And realistically, especially with what has been discussed on a couple of other threads, this itinerary is very adventurous as far as some of the countries and excursions. It would be amazing if all comes off as planned. As we know, weather, mechanical issues, and especially world events can make ports untenable overnight. I am sure Viking Oceans will do the very best they can to both keep us safe and provide a great cruise. So far all our contact and questions with Viking personnel have been first class. They have gone the extra mile to answer questions and/or make changes for us. This is our first Viking experience but, so far, all has gone as good or better than other lines. Are shutting down non essential utilities for the duration (Netflix, internet) and putting the others on hold or holiday mode. One pleasant surprise is car insurance. With the cars locked in the garage for 1/3 of the year, our premium will be hundreds less. Really getting excited (and a bit nervous too) to board the ship on Friday. :cool:

One thing we are learning with the long and complex planning involved is to be patient. For example, our passports were gone for 5 months for the various visa processes. Viking was very helpful in the process as we had heard how "picky" most embassies were. Especially India. But all went well and our passports are now full of fancy official bits of paper. And realistically, especially with what has been discussed on a couple of other threads, this itinerary is very adventurous as far as some of the countries and excursions. It would be amazing if all comes off as planned. As we know, weather, mechanical issues, and especially world events can make ports untenable overnight. I am sure Viking Oceans will do the very best they can to both keep us safe and provide a great cruise. So far all our contact and questions with Viking personnel have been first class. They have gone the extra mile to answer questions and/or make changes for us. This is our first Viking experience but, so far, all has gone as good or better than other lines. Are shutting down non essential utilities for the duration (Netflix, internet) and putting the others on hold or holiday mode. One pleasant surprise is car insurance. With the cars locked in the garage for 1/3 of the year, our premium will be hundreds less. Really getting excited (and a bit nervous too) to board the ship on Friday. :cool:

We on the Viking Sun are in Cabo this morning for the day. Once we leave here we will be eager to stop and pick up the rest of the adventurers then off to see the world .

af6205e8f4f620a87fba118f0074b355.jpgaf6205e8f4f620a87fba118f0074b355.jpgaf6205e8f4f620a87fba118f0074b355.jpg

This is all good to know as we think about 2019 WC. Had no idea about sending in our passports. Viking answered many of my questions, but there is so much I didn't even think to ask...

Start making your list NOW of things that happen between Jan. and May!!!

It takes a couple of cycles to get bills on auto pay and paperless.

Keep track of how much toothpaste and deodorant you use in 128 days.

I do not think you will need as many VISAs as we did so passports may not be gone as long. There are options for getting another passports if you need it.

The excursion process was very intense so start your research early. We found that we opted for many PAID excursions as the INCLUDED did not really do as much as we wanted. Hopefully for 2019 Viking will schedule a little better so you can choose an Optional and Included in the same day. This was often hard to arrange for 2018!

Edited by deec

Thank you. This is all very helpful advice, and I have taken out a yellow pad and started a list. I can see just from this year's calendar that there are many yearly doctor visits, car insurance, and of course taxes, which I've already discussed with our accountant. Glad to hear about the passport time, because we are doing the May 29 Viking Homeland cruise and won't be back until the end of June. I guess no more international travel after that. This all seems to be coming so soon. We might have to consider a 2020 WC, especially because our big old dog, who turns 14 this year, is still with us. But I just love the 2019 itinerary!

Jim,

Will be interested in following you! I can't quite imagine being gone for 4 months so will look forward to your comments and feelings about it. Think 3 or 4 weeks is probably about all I could handle -- and the bill-paying/mail issues would likely overwhelm me! Anyway, have a wonderful time and keep us posted! Best to Lois!

vandrefalk

Thank you. This is all very helpful advice, and I have taken out a yellow pad and started a list. I can see just from this year's calendar that there are many yearly doctor visits, car insurance, and of course taxes, which I've already discussed with our accountant. Glad to hear about the passport time, because we are doing the May 29 Viking Homeland cruise and won't be back until the end of June. I guess no more international travel after that. This all seems to be coming so soon. We might have to consider a 2020 WC, especially because our big old dog, who turns 14 this year, is still with us. But I just love the 2019 itinerary!

You will have to pay for it but order a second passport . We are finding that many times you need to show your passport but I don’t want to show or expose the other countries you are visiting , that’s where you show the second passport (the one without the visas in them) . I would hate to travel all the way to Australia and have something get spilled on their entry visa and not be able to get off the ship. I think there’s only one or two you need for the next WC .

You will have to pay for it but order a second passport . We are finding that many times you need to show your passport but I don’t want to show or expose the other countries you are visiting , that’s where you show the second passport (the one without the visas in them) . I would hate to travel all the way to Australia and have something get spilled on their entry visa and not be able to get off the ship. I think there’s only one or two you need for the next WC .

Also , with the luggage forwarding you can’t send liquid or batteries or valuables in those suitcases. Only clothes and shoes.

There is a number of drug stores near the hotel Viking uses for early arrivals . Go and pick up your items locally and bring them aboard . Don’t think about buying them aboard, it’s too expensive and the sizes are too small . It’s great for a fill in but not for basic supplies.

You do not need your own hairdryer! Leave it home . You shouldn’t need a large amounts of extension cords - l left them home .

Bring extra cords like the Apple power cables . They work great on the night stand and wall plugs .

My wife did have a problem downloading her e reader while at sea.

If you you use online bill paying it's not difficult. I know some are hesistant to use internet banking, but I have used USAA Bank for many, many years and have never had a problem. Most bills go to Costco Visa (great rewards...3% for travel, including WC) which is paid off every month from my USAA checking accoujt. The others are direct-billed to my USAA checking account. I only have to be concerned about property tax, which is billed twice per year. I paid 2nd half early (which happended even before the recent tax legistation made that a wise decision.) Otherwise I could leave a check with someone to mail in. So I was able to check off "banking" from a long checklist for preparing for a 120-day trip.

Jim,

Will be interested in following you! I can't quite imagine being gone for 4 months so will look forward to your comments and feelings about it. Think 3 or 4 weeks is probably about all I could handle -- and the bill-paying/mail issues would likely overwhelm me! Anyway, have a wonderful time and keep us posted! Best to Lois!

vandrefalk

Thanks Karen. Will see how it goes. When I worked on ships I counted the days till relief showed up. Hopefully this will be more fun. Lois has the bill paying all under control and our neighbors will gather and check mail (as we do for them when they return to Colorado). About done packing.

J & L

If you want to go and not worry about your old trusted friend , try the web site ( Trusted House Sitters.com ) and see if you can find someone who will come live in your house and make sure your old friend doesn’t miss you too much. We’ve used this web site and found a couple who really enjoy our pets and keep the house in running order . It’s a big relief and our cat and dog really like them! We have just signed up for our second World Cruise because of them .

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks. We have a trusted Dogsitter of many years who also house sits. But our dog is not in the best health, can't go up and down steps very well, and I just don't think she would live through four months. When we went on the Eastern Seaboard cruise in October, she stopped eating, and Dogsitter had to put canned sardines in her food. She has us wrapped around her finger--paw. I think I have mail and bills figured out now. I am wondering how many of you WC folks used Viking insurance or where you did get it. I called this morning and Viking quoted $7200 for the two of us...

Thanks. We have a trusted Dogsitter of many years who also house sits. But our dog is not in the best health, can't go up and down steps very well, and I just don't think she would live through four months. When we went on the Eastern Seaboard cruise in October, she stopped eating, and Dogsitter had to put canned sardines in her food. She has us wrapped around her finger--paw. I think I have mail and bills figured out now. I am wondering how many of you WC folks used Viking insurance or where you did get it. I called this morning and Viking quoted $7200 for the two of us...

Santa Fe

We are on the W Cruise right now.

Yes the Viking insurance is very high, but we bought it for the peace of mind. I shopped around and many places will not even insure a cruise for that long.

We met a couple today who have been on 4 world cruises!! They said by far this one is the best.

Our longest cruise before this was 2 wks, but we think that with all the adventures and then the time to relax on the "at sea" days, time will fly by.

Great people on board too.

Donna

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Thanks, Donna. I also looked briefly yesterday at other insurance and found no one that would give a quote online for a cruise that long. If/when we book the WC I will look more diligently. But the Viking option is easy, if not cheap.

And how are you doing with those long stretches of sea days? I worry about getting cabin fever when at sea for a week.

Christine

Just received notification that two of our chosen excursions have been cancelled for "operational reasons". Boy, that covers a lot of ground. Anyway, they are the Day 2 Singapore Oddyssey and the Casbah Stroll and Bahia House. Full refunds are promised "within the next two weeks". The cost showed up on the credit card minutes after we booked them but I guess that's the way it works these days. We will worry about replacement excursions once onboard. Long time till Singapore. Hope all the "Bomb Cyclone" (that's a new made up news word for sure) area folks get their flights ok. See Y'all Friday!!!:cool:

Viking was a couole thousand less than that for our 120-day WC that we board on Friday. It was cheaper than several others I looked into. Also included pre-existing conditions. We are both in early 70s.

Thanks Karen. Will see how it goes. When I worked on ships I counted the days till relief showed up. Hopefully this will be more fun. Lois has the bill paying all under control and our neighbors will gather and check mail (as we do for them when they return to Colorado). About done packing.

J & L

One more thing, bring your own laptop if you are doing Mobil Banking . The company computers under the stairs are so slow you will have a hard time getting your bill payments done or your wife will, in my case !

Just received notification that two of our chosen excursions have been cancelled for "operational reasons". Boy, that covers a lot of ground. Anyway, they are the Day 2 Singapore Oddyssey and the Casbah Stroll and Bahia House. Full refunds are promised "within the next two weeks". The cost showed up on the credit card minutes after we booked them but I guess that's the way it works these days. We will worry about replacement excursions once onboard. Long time till Singapore. Hope all the "Bomb Cyclone" (that's a new made up news word for sure) area folks get their flights ok. See Y'all Friday!!!:cool:

This happened to us as well but they cancelled even more excursions for us. We called and no one could help us. This is our fist ocean cruise and I'm unable to understand how they can do things like this willy-nilly. No plan B

Here was Vikings note.

Due to operational changes, your Tahiti Jeep Adventure, Hong Kong Walking Tour, Singapore After Dark, Singapore Odyssey and Casbah Stroll and Bahia House excursions have unfortunately been canceled. A full refund for the canceled excursion will be credited to your purchasing account within the next two weeks.