US Congress and Cruise Ship Safety

justfor411

While I realize this topic is not Celebrity-specific, I'd thought I'd see what some of the folk here thought, given that this area of discussion (safety on cruises) has come up here in recent times.

It appears that the family of a Greenwich man (which has hired a maritime lawyer and public relations firm) who disappeared on a RCL cruise has convinced their Representative to convene a hearing into the cruise industry this past Tuesday in the Subcommittee on National Security, Emerging Threats, and International Relations. Info can be found here, and there's links at the bottom to view briefing memo and attachments. You can find more background on the incident prompting the hearing in this article.

I did a quick scan of the "documents", and my first reaction was to be amused that some of them are merely printouts from Wikipedia -- not showing a real commitment to serious research, I'd think. (You'd suppose a congressperson could get more authoritative sources on international treaties?)

So what do folks here think? Any chance that the lines could face further regulation? Just another congressperson getting his name in the press with an attractive subject? I see the family is getting set for a lawsuit, but what, if any, will be the impact on potential cruisers reading all these scary press releases?

(who knows, maybe we'll get cheaper fares if enough new cruisers are scared off?;) )

I find it amusing that Congressman Shay says:

Like small cities, cruise ships experience crimes – from petty to profoundly tragic. But city dwellers know the risks of urban life, and no one falls off a city never to be heard from again.

If "no one falls off a city never to be heard from again", then why are there so many missing people on the sides of milk cartons and on TV reports?

I keep my wits about me wherever I go, and I feel quite safe on board ship. I think the cruise lines have done pretty well with the safety issue, but I suppose there's always room for improvement. A cruise ship has still got to be safer than most cities out there, but they're not exempt from crime either. I'd hate for the government to get too carried away with all of this as they have a tendancy to do that. Before you know it, you'll have to be back in your cabin by 10 PM. Attention should be given to these disappearances and other crimes committed onboard, but I imagine that with the cruise industry growing as it is, they will never be able to prevent all the crime on board.

Folks can point fingers all they want.

Bottom line is that the US has no jurisdiction in the missing Bridegroom case.

Likewise, the ship was in Turkish waters....and the ship must comply with local authorities.

Yes, I do feel very safe on a ship. Any ship. Better than any land-based resort I've stayed out.

Folks can point fingers all they want.

Bottom line is that the US has no jurisdiction in the missing Bridegroom case.

Likewise, the ship was in Turkish waters....and the ship must comply with local authorities.

Yes, I do feel very safe on a ship. Any ship. Better than any land-based resort I've stayed out.

Someone sent me an email recently listing a large number of criminal acts - turns out they were talking about congress and senators - like bribery, rape, etc - and THEY are investigating the cruise industry - Smells like Boondoggle to me

We've done time sharing for 20 years and we feel very safe at most of those resorts because there is security, some are gated, and almost all guests are "owners" there, or have traded in from owning at another resort.

Consequently, when I took my two adult children on a cruise a couple of weeks ago I mentioned that a ship is not like a time share, and not to make any assumptions about safety like they might have at a time share.

I am a "leave the keys in the car" and "don't lock my doors at night" kind of trusting person, but I intuit that with 3000 passengers and crew, one must show some caution.

Maybe we should ask people who travel solo.

For anyone who would like to know the other side of the story:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/pressroom/home.do

click on December 15 pressrelease

Seems like Mrs.Smith,George's parents,Mr Shays and most of the media did not do their homework-lets see if this statement sees the light of day in the media

Dave

"The beatings will continue until morale improves"

For anyone who would like to know the other side of the story:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/pressroom/home.do

click on December 15 pressrelease

Seems like Mrs.Smith,George's parents,Mr Shays and most of the media did not do their homework-lets see if this statement sees the light of day in the media

Dave

"The beatings will continue until morale improves"

Dave Thanks

If the government gets too involved with the cruiseline industry then they will end up taxing the passenger to death like they are already doing to the airline industry. 25% of your airline ticket price is the taxes. Who wants that?

Do I want to feel secure and safe onboard? Of course! But I do take my own precautions. Having lived in Southern CA for years, I've never been trusting of anyone or anything. Doors locked and eyes in the back of my head at all times!

I would love to see some improvements made to at the reporting of these instances. As far as going to measures like the Federal Air Marshal program.....I'm not ready for our government to step in just yet.

It's a sticky situation to be in for either the government or the cruise industry.

I have confidence in the cruise industry. On every ship, on every line I have sailed I have always been impressed with the safety precautions taken. I'm no safety expert but I am not stupid and like the above, I feel safe.

Any loss of life is surely tragic, Displaced anger towards the cruise industry is understandable. Wanting a "reason" is to be expected. Someone to "blame" might help in accepting what has happened.

Looking for a pile of loot is another matter

The congressman from Conn. is know for his pandering to the main stream media on all kinds of issues.

The analogy to Urban Cities is rather lame, perhaps he is "stuck on stupid".

The press accounts indicated that there had been a considerable amount of drinking, and that new bride was quite inebriated. Things, and very bad things happen every day in large cities when there is an excessive use of alcohol! Cruise ships are no different.

We feel very secure on Celebrity vessels. We are amazed with their Sea Pass system which insures that only authorized persons are on the vessel, and that they can account for that pax, i.e., when they left the ship, returned to the ship, etc.

Ok....so this is how it will go...some idiot politician wants to see his picture on the front page...so he starts this stupidity...the cruise lines, to protect themselves, hire a raft of lawyers, PR people, and media types to try to contain the damage, insurance companies raise rates only because they can and this is a great excuse...this costs millions, we pay for it on each ticket from here on...create an non-existant problem, then solve it. Sure beats actually solving real problems like say, crime, education issues, health concerns...thanks for nothing:mad:

All because some moron with plastic hair wants to smile for the media....

Ok....so this is how it will go...some idiot politician wants to see his picture on the front page...so he starts this stupidity...the cruise lines, to protect themselves, hire a raft of lawyers, PR people, and media types to try to contain the damage, insurance companies raise rates only because they can and this is a great excuse...this costs millions, we pay for it on each ticket from here on...create an non-existant problem, then solve it. Sure beats actually solving real problems like say, crime, education issues, health concerns...thanks for nothing:mad:

All because some moron with plastic hair wants to smile for the media....

It gets even worse as all the Cable News networks are ranting about this case and they are not concerned with giving both sides of the story.

From what I saw on Greta the other night (before I fell asleep), the family is suing to get some answers from the line. They're not being too cooperative. I wonder if the family will drop the suite after everyone has answered their depositions? LOL

When all is said and done...the poor woman will still be missing, the parents will not have any more answers, the cruise lines will be portrayed as the bad guys (for no good reason), politicians and CNN will move on to the next inane "news" story...and the lawyers will be dancing all the way to the bank...nice system :rolleyes: !!

When all is said and done...the poor woman will still be missing, the parents will not have any more answers, the cruise lines will be portrayed as the bad guys (for no good reason), politicians and CNN will move on to the next inane "news" story...and the lawyers will be dancing all the way to the bank...nice system :rolleyes: !!

Your absolutely right Dan, can't argue with that. But if that were your family member wouldn't you want some answers? I know I would. There would be no closer for me until I knew exactly what happened or exhausted all resources trying to find out.

I can tell you that all of this attention KILLED RCL stock price last Friday. This is the first real negative attention the industry has received in recent months and investors are NOT PLEASED with the immediate negative direction of the stock ....

:(

Stock is bound to go up - Someone told me Holland America reported a 23% growth in pax last year. Why else would the cruise linse be investing in new ships?

Stock market is fickle - if Any event happens people panic and dump stock - it is a temporary abberation.

But if that were your family member wouldn't you want some answers? I know I would.

Sometimes there just aren't any answers....:( .

The next move is fueled by greed, not the families, but the lawyer's. Believe me, when this is over, the lawyers will be many thousands of $ ahead and the family no closer to a resolution.

Stock is bound to go up - Someone told me Holland America reported a 23% growth in pax last year. Why else would the cruise linse be investing in new ships?

Stock market is fickle - if Any event happens people panic and dump stock - it is a temporary abberation.

I agree with you , but there is another factor. Many investment firms encourage their clients to enroll in a program where individual stocks in their portfolio are automatically sold whenever they gain or lose a specified percentage of their value. I personally think that is good for the investment firm (lots of commissions), but bad for the investor because there are many different reasons why a stock drops, and the reasons should to be evaluated on a case by case basis to determine if it should be sold or held.

Wow! There is a lot of lawyer bashing here :D Perhaps it is justified, because in Nevada the personal injury lawyers run absolutely unethical [in my opinion] ads on TV, billboards, etc. I am a retired lawyer who practiced law for 38 years - no, a real estate and corporate lawyer - not one of those "ambulance chasers". But did try 45 jury trials and 100 court trials during that 38 years, so know a little bit about litigation.

Which leads me to the point of the family suing RCCL to get information. In order to file such a suit and withstand a demurrer or motion to dismiss, the complaint is required to state a cause of action, such as intentional conduct and/or negligent conduct on the part of an employee or employees of RCCL which was the proximate cause of the loss and death of the bridegroom. There is no cause of action for getting information because RCCL is not allegedly forthcoming. And I doubt that a court would allow a "fishing expedition", when there is no underlying viable claim.

Archived