Red Wine Recommendation For Steakhouse?

I am by no means a wine expert but, am wondering what a nice wine would be for steakhouse? I will be ordering steak. I never have done so before as the wine list generally intimidates me LOL! Any assistance would be appreciated. We will have the drink package so a glass that would be covered by it, is best.

I am by no means a wine expert but, am wondering what a nice wine would be for steakhouse? I will be ordering steak. I never have done so before as the wine list generally intimidates me LOL! Any assistance would be appreciated. We will have the drink package so a glass that would be covered by it, is best.

It is going to depend on your taste in wine. Do you prefer more dry or sweet?

Caymus Cabernet, pay the extra.

I have to agree with Bob. All things being equal we have found the Caymus always to be a great wine, for us we can't go wrong with it.

... I have to agree with Bob. All things being equal we have found the Caymus always to be a great wine, for us we can't go wrong with it.

Plus, the OP has a beverage package, so they get a 20% discount on a bottle.

Plus, the OP has a beverage package, so they get a 20% discount on a bottle.

Something else I just realize on our last cruise is if you have a multi night dinning package you also get 40% off a bottle less than $100 and 20% off if a $100 or over. How did I miss this before. Maybe I should just bring some Caymus as part of my 2 bottles. To bad I'm out of stock of it right now. :( We do have a good supply of some really nice Somona County wines. Have to love Dry Creek and Russian River Wines. Have to decide what to take on our next cruise. I may need to find some mules.;p

A lot depends on your personal taste.

Conventional wisdom is that dry reds are preferable for steak, and for once, I agree with conventional wisdom.

I've had excellent luck with cabernets from Chile (been drinking them for decades), so if it were me, I'd look for something along those lines.

That being said, dry wine can be an acquired taste. If you don't like dry wine, go with something more medium-dry, like a merlot. But an outright sweet wine does not pair well with a meal like steak. It's like putting ketchup on it.

One word of caution: In the meal, save any sweet stuff for last. If you drink a dry wine after eating a sweet appetizer or even sweet salad dressing, the wine won't taste right. (That "cleansing the palate" stuff about eating crackers before the wine has never worked for me.)

Good luck!

I have to agree about a sweet wine being like ketchup on a good steak. That being said I know to many people who put ketchup on a good steak.[emoji54]

Tonight's wine is a very nice Peterson Zin from Dry Creek.No ketchup on the beef tenderloin. [emoji6]93a701b2628ad0f92ffb9f2f5506d0a9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

One thought about fine wines on cruise ships: If it doesn't taste right, check with the Sommelier/Maître d'.

We were on the Independence OTS and had 2 bottles of Caymus Private Reserve that were corked. Not good!

After all the time to decant and serve, it was quite a disappointment. Ended up with a wonderful Chilean red.